Have you just finished your BSc in Computer Science and are wondering what postgraduate options are available for you? Then a masters in computer science from one of the leading universities in the world may be the answer. As per QS World Rankings 2022, University of British Columbia is amongst the top 50 universities in the world. Its Department of Computer Science was established in May 1968 and is one of the top computer science departments in North America which is known for its excellence in research and teaching.
This Blog Includes:
- About UBC Computer Science
- UBC Masters of Computer Science
- University of British Columbia Masters of Computer Science Acceptance Rate
- Entry Requirements for UBC Masters of Computer Science
- University of British Columbia Masters of Computer Science Deadlines
- How to Apply?
- Tuition Fees & Cost of Living for University of British Columbia Masters of Computer Science
- Career Opportunities after UBC Masters of Computer Science
About UBC Computer Science
The UBC computer science department was established in 1968 and since then has built a reputation for being one of the best computer science departments in Canada. What makes this course a golden opportunity for international students is its industry partners like Amazon, Microsoft, Huawei and Google. Not only will you converse with their representatives but also learn the way these tech giants worth billions operate from their computers. Before you pursue a Masters of Computer Science at the University of British Columbia, you can either do a BTech in Computer Science or a BSc in Computer Science. This will prepare you much in advance for the MS in Computer Science in Canada which is, in turn, going to ease your process of doing a PhD in Computer Science.
UBC Masters of Computer Science
Masters of Computer Science at the University of British Columbia is a 2-year masters program taught at the Vancouver and Okanagan campus. Since both campuses teach the course with a similar curriculum, this blog will give you information representing both. You have two options of study within the Masters of Computer Science program:-
- Thesis– If you aren’t very sure whether you will pursue a PhD in Computer Science in the future, you can go for a thesis option. This way, you learn about research and thesis writing in your masters’ program itself.
- Essay– This option allows you to write an essay on problem statements of Computer Science without over-specialising in it. An essay is a viable option if you want to do a PhD in Computer Science in your future as it will get you started on the coursework of PhD much in advance.
University of British Columbia Masters of Computer Science Acceptance Rate
Masters of Computer Science at the University of British Columbia is a competitive program to apply to as it is one of the best colleges in Canada. Here’s the breakdown of the admission stats for 2020 along with the UBC acceptance rate:-
|Applications received for Masters of Computer Science||1746|
This implies that out of every 100 applicants for Masters of Computer Science at the University of British Columbia, 7 get accepted. The minimum graduation rate is 89.63% and at a minimum, a student takes 1.66 years to complete the Masters of Computer Science Program at the University of British Columbia.
Entry Requirements for UBC Masters of Computer Science
If you are an Indian student planning to study at the University of British Columbia for master of computer science courses you should have a bachelor degree from NAAC (National Assessment and Accreditation Council) recognized university. Apart from this, the following are the basic requirements for a Masters of Computer Science at UBC
- A 3-year bachelors’ degree in science, engineering, medicine or forestry with a first-class distinction.
- IELTS– 7.0 or TOEFL (Internet-based)- 100 as proof of English proficiency.
- All academic transcripts in the English language.
- Minimum 3 letters of recommendations/references.
- Statement of Purpose.
- Supervisor choice- Applicants should go through the faculty profiles and indicate their choice of supervisor as Masters in Computer Science is a research-based program.
University of British Columbia Masters of Computer Science Deadlines
Here are the deadlines for the September 2022 intake of University of British Columbia, Masters of Computer Science:
|Online Application Deadline||15th December 2021|
|Transcripts Deadline (Uploading academic transcripts)||16th December 2021|
How to Apply?
- Go to the UBC Masters of Computer Science program website. Check the academic, English language requirements, faculty profiles and the application deadline.
- Give your English tests at least a month before the application deadlines.
- Go to the online portal and register your application by paying an application fee.
- Fill out all the details and attach all the documents required for admission in Canada.
- Submit your application and wait for 4 to 6 weeks till the admission committee assesses your application.
- If accepted, you will be asked to formally accept the offer within a deadline.
- You can now look for accommodations, scholarships and even start the application process for the Canadian study permit.
Tuition Fees & Cost of Living for University of British Columbia Masters of Computer Science
|Instalments per year||3|
|International tuition fee per instalment||INR 1.82 lakhs|
|Total International tuition fee per year||INR 5.48 lakhs|
Note: The tuition fee is increased by 3-5% annually for this program.
Other than the tuition fee, the University of British Columbia Masters of Computer Science program comes with the following living expenses:
|Type of expense||Average Cost (INR)|
|Accommodation||6.62 lakhs per year|
|Transport||31,215 per year|
|Food||19,390 per month|
|Computer Science Textbooks||33,016 per year|
|Mobile Phone Bills||2,700 per month|
|Health-care Insurance||54,026 per year|
These figures have been derived from the popular choices of accommodation and transport on an average basis. If you want to get a closer estimate of your cost of living while pursuing a Masters of Computer Science at the University of British Columbia, use the Cost of Living Calculator for absolutely free!
Career Opportunities after UBC Masters of Computer Science
Like mentioned before, the University of British Columbia Computer Science department is very well-connected with top tech giants, upcoming SMEs and their alumni network. The Industry Partnerships@CS program organises various tech career fairs and networking events for students to make up their minds which company suits their profile the most. A graduation rate of over 89% makes Masters of Computer Science graduates a hot pick for many tech companies.
You can either be a computer science engineer or start your own tech company! The average starting salary of a Computer Science graduate in Canada is INR 25.75 lakhs per year which is 6 times more than what an Indian Computer Science graduate earns. The scope of Computer Science is immense in North American countries and therefore the University of British Columbia Masters of Computer Science will be the perfect program for you!
The University of British Columbia Masters of Computer Science acceptance rate is 7.04%.
Both, Vancouver and Okanagan campuses at the University of British Columbia teach Masters of Computer Science.
You can either pursue an MSc in Computer Science or PhD in Computer Science at the University of British Columbia.
UBC Masters of Computer Science cost INR 5.48 lakhs per year.
You can be a computer science engineer, software engineer, web designer, systems manager and many more IT roles after Masters of Computer Science at UBC.
Are you planning to pursue Masters of Computer Science at the University of British Columbia? Connect with our Leverage Edu experts for end-to-end assistance from application to Visa process. Call us at 1800-572-000 now and book your free counselling session now!