Attaining overseas education has been alluring us since childhood. But get admission to those universities is not an easy task. In order to study in an English-speaking country, Indian students have to qualify for English-language proficiency tests like TOEFL, IELTS or PTE to prove their efficiency in the language. This is regarded as the primary eligibility requirement to study abroad. In this blog, we’ll take you through the easiest way to convert PTE to IELTS while we’re calculating our scores.
This Blog Includes:
What is IELTS and PTE?
Before getting to the conversion, let us first understand what exactly they are. The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is a world-renowned English-language test working as a gateway for students to study in a foreign country. The exam is available in 2 modes i.e, on-paper and computer-based. However, the format, difficulty level and content remain the same for both the modes. IELTS comprises of 4 sections: Reading, Listening, Writing, Speaking. Similarly, the Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE) is as valuable as IELTS and widely expected in a lot of countries. The PTE exam pattern has 4 sections, just like IELTS.
Difference Between PTE & IELTS
Even though both the exams are almost similar, there are some peculiar differences to understand IELTS vs PTE. Let’s take a look at those;
- There are 2 versions of exams common for both, however, PTE has an additional version for young students to test their communication skills which are known as ‘Young Learners Test’.
- During the IELTS speaking test, candidates have to undergo a live conversation whereas in PTE the conversation of the candidates are recorded through microphones.
- Since PTE is a computer-based test it analyse the candidates using different and unique tricks, IELTS, on the other hand, is also conducted on paper, hence it uses more graphs, charts and diagrams.
- While taking the PTE exam the candidates can only move forward in the sections while candidates taking IELTS are open to move forward or backwards multiple times.
- The major difference between the two exams is their scoring system. The IELTS score is calculated on the band of 0-9 and candidates English-language skills are determined in PTE through a score on a range of 10-90 points. Therefore very often a need for conversion from PTE to IELTS arise.
Why Convert PTE to IELTS?
Although both the tests are prominent amongst the universities, yet there are certain universities that accept only one of them. A majority of countries ask for IELTS scores to get admission to their universities. So, the candidates who have taken the PTE exam have to convert their scores. The reason behind this conversion is that both the exams have differences in their formats and markings schemes. Hence, it becomes necessary for the students who have taken and qualified for the PTE exam to convert their score, if they want to get admission to a college that only accepts IELTS scores.
Listed down is the score comparison chart of PTE & IELTS for your clarity:
There are many universities that accept this conversion. Therefore, this conversion is beneficial for students who have taken the PTE exam and were unable to either unable to take IELTS or couldn’t qualify it due to any reason.
Major Difference between PTE and IELTS
In the mid-range, where the test is typically used for academic admissions purposes, the updated concordant scores have been minimally adjusted.
At IELTS 7.5 & above the PTE academic scores are in the same range just some points higher on the scale.
At IELTS 6.5 & below, the PTE academic scores are in the same range, just some points lower on the scale.
- IELTS Eligibility with FAQs
- IELTS General vs IELTS Academic
- How to Crack IELTS
- IELTS Slot Booking Process
Both are standard English language exam that is taken by students who are planning to take admission in universities abroad. IELTS scored on a scale of 1 – 9 whereas PTE is scored on 10 – 90 points.
Both PTE and IELTS follow a similar standard of testing students in the English Language exam. It is necessary for students or candidates to practice well to be able to score good marks in the exam. It is entirely based on the English language experience of the students to understand the level of the examination.
The range for the overall score is between 10 and 90 points. You can refer to the above-written score comparison chart to know which university requires recommended PTE scores.
The PTE is accepted in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom.
We hope that you were able to understand the difference between both the exam and how to convert PTE to IELTS score. You can also reach out to our experts at Leverage Edu and get access to best-quality study material curated to help you achieve your personal best in IELTS.