Data Science has become a huge part of every business, especially since SEO and SEM practices came into existence. Data science is the science of analysing, segmenting, and deriving conclusions from a given data set. Be it Instagram insights, google analytics or third parties, we all know how data drives every field of profession. The growth of Data Science in the UK has been recognised worldwide. MS in Data Science in the UK is highly recommendable as experts suggest a stronger educational background to be the criteria of job offerings. This blog will take you through the major factors to consider while pursuing MS in Data Science in the UK.
This Blog Includes:
Why Study MS in Data Science in the UK?
Universities in the UK are looking at improving the syllabus year on year to match up with the upcoming technologies. They are also creating more job opportunities in the field of Data Science for international students.
- The need for Data Scientists/Engineers has increased three-fold in the last 6 years in the United Kingdom (+231% growth).
- A report published by the Royal Society expresses how the UK is a nation-leading data science research with a sustainable approach.
- Majorly, all colleges offer a 1-year full-time program for MS in data science in the UK. Otherwise, part-time masters can be extended up to 2 years.
- Growth in data science as a career has given way to technologically advanced education in the same.
- As of 2021, the UK government has estimated to spend over 2 billion pounds from 2022 to 2026 on big data analytics. Truly, a lucrative field to pursue in the UK!
Also Read: Career in Data Science
Applying for MS in Data Science in the UK can be a smooth process once you know whether you are eligible.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related fields (Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Engineering or Information Systems)
- 2.1 undergraduate degree of minimum 60% in the UG degree for international students.
- An IELTS score ranging from 6.0-7.0 (top colleges for data science) or a TOEFL score ranging from 80-100 (top colleges for data science).
Cost of Living
You can pursue an MS in Data Science in the UK for as low as 30 lakhs (including your tuition, accommodation and other day-to-day expenses. The expenses involved while doing MS in data science in the UK can be divided into two parts:
|Cost of Living||Average Expenses|
|Tuition Fees||Rs.18-24 lakhs|
|Living Expenses||Rs.13-16 lakhs|
To estimate your cost of living while doing MS in data science in the UK, use the cost of living calculator offered by Leverage Edu for free.
Specialisations for MS in Data Science in the UK
All leading universities of London offer MS in Data Science as a 1-year full-time course or 2-year part-time course. Specialisations available in the UK in the Data Science space are-
- Artificial Intelligence
- Big Data (Culture, Society, etc.)
- Biomedical Research
- Health Analytics
- Neural Networking
- Statistics in Finance
- Natural Algorithms
- Machine Learning
Top Data Science Universities
Universities in the UK that are popular for their MS courses in Data Science are.
- King’s College
- Imperial College
- University of Lancaster
- University of Bath
- University of Warwick
- University of Exeter
- University of Oxford
- University of Leeds
- University of Manchester
- University of Cambridge
If you want to apply for an MS in Data Science in the UK, you will be required to submit the following documents in your application. All the transcripts mentioned are required to be submitted in the English language only. Although the detailed process of every college in the UK differs from each other, here are the minimum requirements for applying.
- Marksheet and Certificate of Graduation
- Certificate of English Proficiency (IELTS or TOEFL)
- SOP (Statement of Purpose)
- LORs from past academic college. (Here are some sample LORs for you)
- Updated CV.
Scholarships and Financial Aids
- The Chevening Scholarships: 40-45 Indian students are offered the Chevening Scholarship every year based on their application. The scholarship fully funds your education and cost of living in the UK while pursuing your 1-year masters.
- The Commonwealth Scholarships: Organised by the British Council, as an Indian student, you can apply for the Commonwealth Scholarship. They offer fully-funded 200 scholarships yearly to the commonwealth nations.
- GREAT Scholarships: Each scholarship is worth 10,000 GBP eligible for masters in the UK.
- University-specific Scholarships: Universities in the UK have reserves for grants and scholarships through their personal collaborations. Eligibility and application information is easily available in their prospectus or on their websites.
Job Opportunities and Career Scope in the UK
Data Science as an industry transcends all fields of profession. Whether you are a doctor, professor, researcher or restaurant owner- all of us need data. In the UK, Glassdoor ranks Data Scientist as a job, 4.1 out of 5. The median base salary for a data science postgraduate is 45,000 GBP (Rs. 45 lakhs) per annum. Supporting the exponential growth of data science in the UK are excellent job opportunities. If you have an MS in Data Science, you can pursue a career in the following fields.
- Data Analyst
- Data Scientist
- Machine Learning Engineer
- Applications Architect
- Data Architect
- Business Intelligence Developer
Data Science is an ever-growing phenomenon that will never see a downfall in being a leading technology. And when you pursue masters from the UK, you learn expertise in theory as well as practical. To have a personalised consultation regarding a master in Data Science in the UK, apply to Leverage Edu now. From shortlisting colleges to financial aid, we got your back!