TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is a standardized test to measure the English language ability of non-native speakers wishing to enrol in English-speaking universities. It is an English proficiency assessment for international students and institutions. Just like IELTS and Duolingo it tests all four language skills Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing. Polished vocabulary is an important part of the TOEFL Syllabus as it helps students in each exam segment. This blog focuses on important words, exercises and tips to improve vocabulary for TOEFL and will also provide an Ultimate TOEFL vocabulary list.
This Blog Includes:
TOEFL Vocabulary List
As we have discussed the strategies. Let’s jump to the Ultimate TOEFL vocabulary list.
|abundant||present in large quantities||Living close to a river means we have an abundant supply of water.|
|accumulate||to gradually collect||Each fall, leaves and branches accumulate in our driveway.|
|accurate||free from errors||Make sure your address is accurate before submitting your exam form.|
|ambiguous||having several potential meanings||When I asked the HR manager what my chances were of getting the job, she gave me a very ambiguous reply.|
|amend||to change for the better;||I believe we should amend our country’s laws.|
|anomaly||deviation from the norm||The basketball player is the team’s best free thrower, so his missing both shots was an anomaly.|
|bestow||to give as a gift||The gold medal was bestowed upon him by the Prime Minister.|
|berate||to scold||Our neighbor berated us after we broke his window playing cricket.|
|brash||rude and tactless||The brash man always asked inappropriate questions to me.|
|brusque||abrupt to the point of rudeness.||After being away for so long, I expected more than her brusque greeting.|
|cacophony||a harsh, unpleasant mixture of noise||The jack clock shop lets off a cacophony every hour.|
|chronological||arranged in order of time or date.||Put the historical events in chronological order to make them easier to study.|
|cohesion||uniting; becoming one||Water molecules show strong cohesion when they stick together.|
|decipher||to find the meaning of||The spy deciphered the secret code of the safe.|
|distort||to misrepresent||The camera filter distorted the image|
|eloquent||moving speech or writing||Her eloquent writing has gained her many fans.|
|erroneous||incorrect||She apologized for his erroneous statement.|
|famine||a time when there is an extreme lack of food||Millions of children in Africa died due to the famine there.|
|fortify||to strengthen||The king decided to fortify the castle walls to protect them during attacks from enemies.|
Check Out This Vocabulary Test
Category-Wise Vocabulary for TOEFL
Here are some important words as per category for TOEFL preparation:
- to launch a product: to start selling and promoting a new product
- to lay someone off: when a company ends an employee’s contract of employment
- lifestyle business: a business that is set up to bring in a sufficient income and no more
- to make a profit: to earn more money than it costs to run the business
- niche business: a business that serves a small, particular market
- to raise a company profile: to make more people aware of a business
- to run your own business: to have a business of your own
- sales figures: a report of the income a company generates through sales of products or services
- to set up a business: to start a business
- stiff competition: strong competition from other companies in the same area of work
- to take on employees: to employ people
- to be on a tight budget: to have a limited amount of money to spend
- to be on commission: to pay someone in relation to the amount they sell
- a pay in cash: to pay for something using coins or paper money
- to pay the full price: to pay the full amount for something
- to pick up a bargain: to buy something much cheaper than the normal price
- to run up a credit card bill: to owe money on a credit card
- to shop around: to try different shops to find the best deal
- shop assistant: the person who serves customers
- to shop until you drop: to do a lot of shopping
Books and Film
- a blockbuster: a film that is a big commercial success
- to catch the latest movie: to see a film that has just come out
- the central character: the main person in a film or book
- a classic: of the highest quality
- to come highly recommended: to be praised by another person
- couldn’t put it down: wasn’t able to stop reading a book
- an e-book: a digital book
- an e-reader: a device for reading e-books
- to flick through: to look quickly through a book
- to get a good/bad review: to receive positive or negative feedback
- to go on general release: when a film can be seen by the general public
- hardback: a book with a rigid cover (see ‘paperback’ below)
Tips and Tricks
Vocabulary is not something which you can build overnight. There is no shortcut in this process, you have to be consistent.
- Develop a reading habit. Vocabulary building is easiest when you encounter words in context.
- Use flashcards.
- Keep a Notebook for TOEFL Writing Vocabulary.
- Understand but Don’t Memorize all the Time.
- Learn Idioms, Connectives and Poetic Devices
- Metaphors are also one of the important elements of the TOEFL exam.
Have a look at some TOEFL Vocabulary with Movie Clips in this video.
The 327 TOEFL Words You Need to Know. Below are the 327 best TOEFL vocabulary words, in alphabetical order.
Clean your schedule from background tasks.
Find new synonyms and create categories.
Find a tool to train words on the go.
Find an experienced TOEFL tutor with a robust preparation plan.
Use your senses and emotions to memorize the most difficult words.
Just like IELTS and Duolingo it tests all four language skills Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing. Polished vocabulary is an important part of the TOEFL Syllabus as it helps students in each exam segment.
We hope our blog on the TOEFL Vocabulary List helps you in improving your vocabulary for TOEFL. Leverage Edu provides excellent online TOEFL preparation. Ranging from personalized study plans to detailed doubts-clearing sessions, our expert faculty ensures that students get the best scores! Get in touch with us to start your TOEFL preparation.