Dubbed the Emerald Isle, courtesy of its lush green landscape, Ireland is situated just off the coast of England and Wales. Ranked amongst the world’s top 20 countries for studying abroad, it is rapidly becoming a favourite destination for Indian students. It has emerged as a modern nation boasting an entrepreneurial environment, and excellence in research and development. If you are planning to study in the highlands then here is a list of public universities in Ireland for you to explore!
This Blog Includes:
Why Study in Ireland?
There are numerous reasons to study at public universities in Ireland. Ireland is known to be a safe and friendly country. It has been ranked 8th in the 2021 Global Peace Index. Their hospitable nature, together with an unrivalled sense of fun, guarantees an unforgettable experience.
- English Speaking Country: Ireland is an English-speaking country. Therefore, a student well versed in the English language will not face any issues in getting assimilated into this country.
- Quality Education: Public universities in Ireland are recognized widely for excellent academic qualifications. A wide range of courses is offered to students from every field of studies. These include highly respected business schools, centres of scientific and technology excellence as well as renowned language, humanities and arts faculties.
- Affordability: Moreover, the government of Ireland has invested immensely in building staggering standards in Higher Education. This is visible in the academic infrastructure boasted by the country’s Public Universities. Besides that, the government of Ireland has established undergraduate and postgraduate scholarships of 1,500,000 Euros for Indian students. Each year the ‘Government of Ireland International Education Scholarships 2021’ project awards up to 60 scholarships for a year of Bachelor or Masters level education to the eligible international candidates.
- Work Permits: With the current currency rate, studying abroad can potentially burn a hole in the students’ pockets. Keeping that in mind, European countries like Ireland offer work permits to international students, also known as green cards. Moreover, many universities offer internships to international students to help them gain hands-on experience in their respective fields. The Irish government also grants loans and scholarships to financially support international students.
- Global Business Leaders: Ireland hosts numerous leading global companies, including Google, Facebook, Pfizer, Apple, to name a few. Students have the opportunity to take advantage of such a vibrant business environment and score awesome internships and training while studying abroad.
Top 10 Public Universities in Ireland
A University or college that is state-owned or receives a significant public fund through national or sub-national government falls under the category of Public Universities. Following is a list of Top 10 Public Universities in Ireland:
- Trinity College Dublin, University of Dublin
- University College Dublin
- University College Cork
- Dublin City University
- University of Limerick
- National University of Ireland, Galway
- Technological University Dublin
- Maynooth University
- Cork Institute of Technology
- Waterford Institute of Technology
University College Dublin: It is a public research university in Dublin, Ireland, and a member institution of the National University of Ireland. With 33,284 students, the University of Dublin is Ireland’s largest university, and amongst the most prestigious universities in the country. Flourishing for over 160 years, UCD is a research-intensive global university.
University College Cork: University College Cork or the National University of Ireland, Cork is a constituent university of the National University of Ireland, and located in Cork. It was founded in 1845 as one of three Queen’s Colleges located in Belfast, Cork, and Galway.
Technological University Dublin: TU Dublin is where the arts, business, sciences, engineering and technology converge and its 28500 students and researchers come from all over Ireland as well as all over the globe. Technological University Dublin is Ireland’s first technological university, established on 1 January 2019.
National University of Ireland, Galway: The National University of Ireland Galway (NUI Galway; Irish is a public research university located in the city of Galway, Ireland. It is a tertiary education and research institution and has been awarded the full five QS stars for excellence. It is ranked among the top 1 % of universities according to the 2018 QS World University Rankings.
Waterford Institute of Technology: Waterford Institute of Technology (WIT) is a state-funded third-level educational freely available large scale institution. It is situated in the city of Waterford, Ireland. The Institute has six Schools and offers programmes in Business, Engineering, Science, Health Sciences, Education & Humanities.
Popular Courses Offered by Public Universities in Ireland
As suggested by the list of top Public Universities in Ireland, the country boasts a plethora of technical and business-related courses. Following is the list of some popular courses offered by Irish Universities:
- Business Analytics
- Big Data
- Investment Banking and Finance
- Aviation/Aeronautics Management
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Computer Science
- Cyber Security
- Cloud Computing
- Digital Marketing
- Software Engineering
- Artificial Intelligence
Intakes for Public University in Ireland
Irish universities have two major cycles of intake:
It is advisable to keep in mind that you fulfil all the eligibility criteria, including language proficiency and other qualifying examinations while choosing the intake session.
Usually, foreign universities require proof of proficiency in the English language in the form of exams like IELTS, etc. However, if your Undergraduate coursework was entirely taught in the English language, some universities accept that as proof of English language proficiency. Therefore, it is crucial to go through the language requirement section on the University website very carefully.
Besides the academic and language requirements, international students are also encouraged to pay attention to the Visa requirements of the country that they have chosen to study in. Ireland, like many of the non-EU countries, demands that international students have a visa to come and study in Ireland. Here, the student immigration process is divided into two categories based on whether you are applying for a degree programme offered by a higher education institution or you intend to pursue an English-language or non-degree course.
Know All About Fall Semester vs Spring Semester!
- Language proficiency scores
- Attested photocopies of the mark sheet from the previous institution
- At least two academic reference letters from the teachers who have taught you recently
- A Statement of Purpose (SOP) & Letters of Recommendation (LORs)
- A brief up-to-date resume
- Four extra certificates of extra-curricular activities
- If you’re applying for any arts & design programs, you must submit your portfolio
- Student Visa Copy
Cost of Studying in Public Universities in Ireland
The tuition fees vary according to the course as well as the university of choice. It also varies according to EU and Non-EU students. The following table elucidates the average tuition fees for prominent bachelor’s and master’s courses for Non-EU (Indian) students in Ireland, as provided by Enterprise Ireland, a portal under the authority of the Minister of Education and Skills, Ireland.
|Course||Average Tuition Fees(Undergraduate Level)||Average Tuition Fees(Postgraduate Level)|
|Medicine & HealthScience||€39,500- €55,000(34,95,572-48,67,252 INR)||€18,000 – €32,000(15,92,919-28,31,856 INR)|
|Business||€9,850 – €19,500(8,71,680-17,25,662 INR)||€9950 – €34,500(8,80,530-30,53,094 INR)|
|Arts and Humanities||€9,850 – €19,500(8,71,680-17,25,662 INR)||€9950 – €19,000(8,80,530-16,81,414 INR)|
|Science & Technology||€9,850 – €25,500(8,71,680-22,56,635 INR)||€9950 – €27,000(8,80,530-23,89,378 INR)|
|Engineering||€9,850 – €25,500(8,71,680-22,56,635 INR)||€9950 – €25,000(8,80,530-22,12,387 INR)|
Note: The above-mentioned tuition fees are just for indicative purposes.
Public Universities of Ireland present a fantastic opportunity for students who are looking to study abroad. The scenic country provides high quality higher education at affordable prices, with a plethora of courses to choose from, and just as many scholarship options to fund them. Want to study abroad for the upcoming intakes, call our Leverage Edu experts on 1800 572 000 and get started!