A career in medicine attracts a number of students all over the world owing to it being one of the most influential and prestigious career options of all time. Every year, lakhs of students flock to abroad universities for pursuing medical courses after 12th and Ireland is one of those countries that is most prefered for medical aspirants because of a heavy amount investment done in the education sector of the country’s economy. The country is renowned for its history in education, also known as the ‘the land of saints and scholars’. Universities are recognised by MCI and WHO in providing excellent education in the country. MS and MBBS in Ireland is provided to international students with affordable fee structure & high-quality infrastructure and education for the growth of individuals.
Let us sneak-peek to find a genuine and deep-seated love of learning!
This Blog Includes:
- Why Study MBBS in Ireland?
- Popular Field of Specializations
- Syllabus of MBBS in Ireland
- Eligibility Criteria for MBBS in Ireland for Indian Students
- Admission Procedure of MBBS in Ireland
- Cost of MBBS in Ireland
- Accommodation & Hostel Facilities for Medicine Students in Ireland
- Scholarship for Studying MBBS in Ireland
- Universities in Ireland for MBBS
|Medium of education||English|
|Minimum eligibility||10+2 or equivalent exam with Biology, Physics and Chemistry with minimum 60% aggregate|
|Course fees||Rs. 20 – 40 Lakhs per year|
|Course duration||5 years + 1 year internship|
|English Proficiency tests||IELTS or TOEFL|
|Top medical College||Trinity College, Dublin|
Why Study MBBS in Ireland?
Being an English speaking country, education in Ireland is teamed with world-class educational infrastructure, latest teaching methods and highly-qualified faculties. Below is a list of reason why more than 10,000 Indian students are already studying MBBS in top Ireland universities:
- An Irish MBBS degree is equivalent to that of the UK, USA, Europe and other Asian countries and is profoundly recognized by WHO, MCI, IMED, GMC and USMLE and regarded around the globe. Also, the admission process is very easy.
- The degree course is generally of 6 years, which includes 5 years of study and 1 year of internship.
- The medical schools offer an affordable fee structure and living cost for Indian students.
- The course of MBBS in Ireland is patient-centric through constant interaction with the patients.
- Engagement in transformational and innovative research-led studies in different specializations of the field of medicine.
- Study in Ireland offers campus placement and internship opportunities in some of the best hospitals in Ireland.
- The campuses have Indian hostel and of course Indian food.
- Also, the universities have 100% ragging free environment.
Popular Field of Specializations
The universities in Ireland help aspiring students to fulfil their dreams of becoming successful doctors through specialised field of MBBS. Some of these have been listed below:
- General Medicine
- Clinical Diagnosis and Therapeutics
Syllabus of MBBS in Ireland
We are providing the subjects covered in the course year wise –
- Human Biology
- Cardiovascular Biology
- Respiratory Biology and Metabolism
- Nutritional and Metabolic Biology
- Medical Pharmacology
- Mechanisms of Disease
- Bone Metabolism
- Renal Mechanisms of Homeostasis and Associated Anatomy
- Epidemiology for Evidence-Based Health care
- Clinical Science and Practice III, IV and V
- Fundamentals of Therapy
- Manifestations of Disease
- Behavioural Medicine
- Child Health and Development
- Fundamentals of Adult Disease
- Forensic Medicine and the Coroner’s Court
- Principles and Practice of Surgery
- Principles and Practice of Internal Medicine and General Practice
- Principles and Practice of Paediatrics and Child Health
- Principles and Practices of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Research and Professionalism in Medicine II
Eligibility Criteria for MBBS in Ireland for Indian Students
It is important for students to know that the minimum age limit for MBBS in Ireland is 17 years apart from academic requirements. Even though, these may vary as per the university, however, there is a common requirement that you need to fulfil:
- The candidates need to secure a minimum of 60% in Physics, Chemistry, Biology and compulsory English in their 10+2 from a recognized board.
- The candidates must have passed the NEET entrance exam with a good score and should possess a valid NEET scorecard.
- A good score in IELTS or TOEFL as proof of proficiency in the English language.
Note: While most of the universities offering MBBS in Ireland accept NEET score, there are some Irish medical college that accept Graduate Medical School Admission Test (GAMSAT) and Health Profession Admission Test (HPAT) as well. You need to visit the official websites of the concerned universities and read all the guidelines carefully.
Admission Procedure of MBBS in Ireland
The admission process and the eligibility criteria is different from one university to another and hence we are providing a detailed procedure walk through of the admission process for your benefit below –
- Step 1 – Ireland has a centralized online enrollment system known as Central Applications Office (CAO) through which students need to apply for undergraduate courses.
- Step 2 – The students whose first language is not English need to prove their proficiency in English language by giving exams like IELTS or TOFEL and score above at least 6.0 in IELTS.
- Step 3 – Students have to give the HPAT assessment test which measures their logical reasoning skills, problem-solving abilities and communication levels.
- Step 4 -The HPAT score will get combined with the points which they have earned in their previous qualifications.
- Step 5 – Students have to complete 1 year of internship in addition to the 4 – 6 years of a medical degree.
Cost of MBBS in Ireland
The cost of doing an MBBS in Ireland would take between Rs. 20 – 40 lakhs per year and since the course is of 6 years the cost would reach approximately 1 – 2 Crores by the time you have completed your course. Other expenses like accommodation, food, textbooks, utilities, telephone, entertainment, clothing etc. would cost around 5 – to 10 lakhs in a year. But the degree will be worth it because the colleges in Ireland are recognized globally.
Accommodation & Hostel Facilities for Medicine Students in Ireland
Accommodations provide various options for the students depending on their comfort and choice. On campus accommodations are available in many universities and the students can choose if they want catered or self catered ones. In the catered accommodation students get food from mess and at a fixed cost and the payment for these accommodations is done in 2 installments and not on a monthly basis which can prove to be a little expensive. Renting facility is also available where the students can rent the houses on a lease period of 9 or 12 months and the rent can be paid per month. A deposit amount equal to 1 month’s rent should be paid to the owner as security amount which will be returned by him when the students leave their houses. The students may also live with a host family which provides a lot of home – like comfort to them in a new country.
Scholarship for Studying MBBS in Ireland
Scholarships, Education loans and grants play a huge role in a student’s life especially if the student wants to study abroad. These are a few scholarships that you can rely on for studying MBBS in Ireland but do not worry there are many more than these. Every college has their own ways to help international students financially so be sure to check with the college you apply at.
- Take off Overseas and Education in Ireland – It is Irish national organization assistance to 15 undergraduate scholarships worth EUR 6000 per student.
- Student Universal Support in Ireland (SUSI) – It proposes a mandate to insulate the holding costs for nine months of each academic year.
- Centenary Scholarship Program – This scholarship program is for students from Brazil, China, India, Japan, Indonesia, Malaysia and USA. It covers 1 year tuition fees.
- NUI Galway International Students Scholarships – Non- EU meritorious students can get this scholarship if enrolled in undergraduate, postgraduate or research programs. The amount varies depending on the scheme from $2,200- $5,700 and sometimes the tuition fees are waived off. Research candidates get an allowance of $18,300 yearly.
- Trinity College Dublin Scholarships – Scholarships of varying types for students from specific countries are awarded at Trinity College Dublin. The amount value ranges from $5,700- $11,400 depending on the type.
Universities in Ireland for MBBS
We have provided a list of the best universities in Ireland for medicine and MBBS according to QS rankings 2021 below –
|QS Rankings 2021||University||Approx . Fees|
|105||Trinity College, Dublin (TCD)||Rs. 38 Lakhs|
|201 – 250||Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (RCSI)||Rs. 42 lakhs|
|151 – 200||University College Dublin (UCD)||Rs. 40 lakhs|
|151 – 200||University College Cork (UCC)||Rs. 37 lakhs|
|251 – 300||National University of Ireland, Galway||Rs.26 lakhs|
|401 – 450||University of Limerick (UL)||Rs. 34. 5 lakhs|
The cost of doing an MBBS in Ireland would take between Rs. 20 – 40 lakhs per year.
No, it is not valid in Ireland but it may help in sitting for the test and once you get through the process then you can work as a doctor there.
It costs around €9,500 – €34,500 per year to study in Ireland.
Yes, Ireland is a good place for medical students because the colleges and facilities are world class and renowned.
Before settling or even visiting Ireland you will have to get a visa which is given easily to skilled workers who might help to make the Irish economy better.
If you want to be a doctor in Ireland it is easier if you have taken your degree from a university in Ireland. If not then start with getting a work visa then you will have to go through the procedure for the foreign trained people to become doctors in Ireland. Once you pass that you can start your practice as a doctor in the Irish hospitals.
Studying MBBS in Ireland provides exposure to students with practically advanced knowledge. If you’re planning to study abroad in Ireland, get in touch with our experts at Leverage Edu and choose the best university to kick-start your career in the field of medicine. Book your 30 minutes free career counselling now!