On a TV screen or at an event, we are intrigued by the knowledge and articulation of the debaters. A formal discussion between two or more people, a debate involves opposing viewpoints on a topic or an issue. A debate necessarily involves a moderator who gives each party a time to present an argument in a mannered form. Debates are a great way of improving communication skills and presenting a discourse on a subject. An important part of the education system, debates are counted in co-curricular activities. Some universities have group discussions and personal interviews as a mandatory part of the selection criteria for admissions. Choosing a topic for a debate can determine your success in it. In this blog, we will explore some of the pressing debate topics and tips to ace them.
This Blog Includes:
- How Should You Choose Debate Topics?
- Popular Debate Topics
- How to Select Good Debate Topics
- How to Ace Your Debate?
How Should You Choose Debate Topics?
The primary thing for a debate is to choose a topic. In most cases, the topic is preset while in some cases, you are given a choice to choose. The topic should not be out of your expertise but if it is a generic and non-subject-specific topic, it can be exciting to prepare for it. Before choosing a topic, you should consider the factors like interest, availability of data, argument potential, availability of time, etc. The next thing to consider is the nature of the debate. If it is at the school level, then the debate topics would be more general and superficial, but if it is for a conference and involves experts, then the topic should be more specific and detailed.
Want to get admission to your dream university abroad? Then, Register Here!
Popular Debate Topics
- Death penalty and its relation to crimes.
- Is climate change a bigger challenge for human beings?
- Should human cloning be legalized?
- Is animal testing justified? What could be an alternative?
- Effects of violent video games on the behavior of children.
- Is there a need for Net Neutrality?
- Development at the cost of the environment.
- How Juveniles with rape charges should be indicted?
- Why free education is a need for modern society?
- Why should there be laws for gun control?
- Data collection by authorities and organizations is a privacy intrusion.
- How should Immigration be dealt with? What are the reasons for emigration?
- How should sex education be given in schools?
- Sustainable development as an alternative to industrialism.
- Ethical dilemma in establishing old age rooms.
- Has exam centered education system become obsolete?
- Should there be a bar on political campaigning?
- How the media influences public opinion?
- Ethical considerations and the need for Euthanasia?
- Animal rights violations and the need for Zoos.
Social and Political Issues Debate Topics
- Everyone should be able to possess a firearm.
- It is time for the death penalty to be abolished.
- The cloning of humans should be made lawful.
- The legalization of all medicines should be pursued.
- The use of animals in research should be prohibited.
Education Debate Topics
- Homework should be made illegal.
- In schools, public prayer should not be permitted.
- On their computers, schools should restrict sites like YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Uniforms should be obligatory in school.
- The use of standardized testing should be phased out.
Health Debate Topics
- Healthcare should be available to everyone.
- Health insurance should cover cosmetic operations.
- Vegetarianism should be practiced by everyone.
- The practice of euthanasia should be prohibited.
- The legal drinking age should be 18 years old.
Technology Debate Topics
- Human communication has been enhanced as a result of social media.
- Artificial intelligence will be beneficial to humans.
- Individuals should be able to control their DNA.
- Humans should invest in technological advancements to explore and inhabit other worlds.
- Alternative energy sources should be a priority for governments.
Environmental Issues Topics
- Is global warming already unstoppable?
- Do you think it’s a good idea to ban plastic bags and packaging?
- Is it possible to avoid genetically modified foods?
- Is it possible to outlaw zoos?
- What impact does tourism have on the environment?
Middle School Topics of Debate
- Which is better for education: books or movies?
- Do electronic devices in the classroom aid or hinder the teaching process?
- Is it better to have fewer or more seasonal holidays?
- Is it helpful to participate in sports at school?
- What strategies can teachers use to keep pupils interested in the classroom?
- Is it appropriate to enable tracking devices on student ID cards?
- Is it true that public or private school education is superior to homeschooling?
- Is there a sufficient number of role models for this generation?
High School Topics of Debate
- Peer pressure and the problems it poses in the classroom
- Is sex education beneficial in the classroom?
- Is it necessary to postpone final exams? Why?
- What can be done to stop bullying at school?
- Are grade point averages (GPAs) an obsolete means of assessing a student’s knowledge?
- Will artificial intelligence (AI) take the position of teachers?
- Is it ethical to use animals in research?
- Should mobile phones be permitted in classrooms?
How to Select Good Debate Topics
A good debate subject allows participants and audience members to learn about both sides of a problem. When choosing a debated subject, keep the following elements in mind:
- Interest: Are you interested in learning more about the subject? Would your peers, as well as the public that listened to the discussion, be interested in the topic? Selecting a topic that interests you makes the debate preparation process as well as the debate itself more enjoyable.
- Argument Potential: You want to choose a debate topic that has solid argument potential. You’ll have a hard time developing a strong discussion if one side is correct or if there isn’t a lot of material accessible.
- Availability of Data: Data points strengthen an argument. You should choose a topic that has a lot of empirical evidence that you can use to back up your claim.
How to Ace Your Debate?
Now you already are aware of some popular debate topics, the next thing you should be doing is to prepare for them. You should expect tough competition from the opposite side and preparing beforehand and getting your arguments ready should be your priority. Below given are some of the tips that would help you to ace your discussion as per your debate topics:
- Research information from multiple sources.
- Anticipate the arguments of the other side and prepare your counter-arguments based on them.
- Keep your information succinct as per the given time.
- Practice it at least some days in advance and try to achieve fluency while delivering arguments.
- Avoid anecdotes and personal attacks. Instead, focus on objective and factual information.
- Do not lose your temper. Keeping calm help you assess the facts and articulate better.
- Avoid looking into the paper and use your memory instead.
- Avoid fillers while speaking and try delivering composed sentences.
- Use your body language and maintain eye contact, but make sure you don’t make others uncomfortable.
- Accept your mistakes and apologize politely for them.
Whether it is applying for university admission or presenting your argument on a live show, debates test your verbal ability and knowledge of the subject. Thus it becomes necessary to research the given debate topics in advance. If you want to take your skills to the next level by pursuing education at the top universities abroad, Leverage Edu can be your companion. Our experts will help you with the application process and prepare you for your walk-in-interview for university admission.