On a TV screen or at an event, we are intrigued by the knowledge and articulation of the debaters. A formal discussion between two or more people, a debate involves opposing viewpoints on a topic or an issue. A debate necessarily involves a moderator who gives each party a time to present an argument in a mannered form. Debates are a great way of improving communication skills and presenting a discourse on a subject. An important part of the education system, debates are counted in co-curricular activities. Some of the universities have group discussions and personal interviews mandatory part of the selection criteria for the admissions. Choosing a topic for a debate can determine your success in it. In this blog, we will explore some of the pressing debate topics and tips to ace them.
This Blog Includes:
How Should You Choose Debate Topics?
The primary thing for a debate is to choose a topic. In most of the cases, the topic is preset while as in some cases, you are given a choice to choose. The topic should not be out of your expertise but if it is a generic and non-subject specific topic, it can be exciting to prepare for it. Before choosing a topic, you should consider the factors like interest, availability of data, argument potential, availability of time etc. The next thing to consider is the nature of the debate. If it is at the school level, then the debate topics would be more general and superficial, but if it is for a conference and involves experts, then the topic should be more specific and detailed.
Want to get admission to your dream university abroad? Then, Register Here!
Popular Debate Topics
- Death penalty and its relation to crimes.
- Is climate change a bigger challenge for human beings?
- Should human cloning be legalized?
- Is animal testing justified? What could be an alternative?
- Effects of violent video games on the behaviour of children.
- Is there a need for Net Neutrality?
- Development at the cost of the environment.
- How Juveniles with rape charges should be indicted?
- Why free education is a need for modern society?
- Why should there be laws for gun control?
- Data collection by authorities and organizations as a privacy intrusion.
- How should Immigration be dealt with? What are the reasons for emigration?
- How should sex education be given in schools?
- Sustainable development as an alternative to industrialism.
- Ethical dilemma in establishing old age rooms.
- Has exam centred education system become obsolete?
- Should there be a bar on political campaigning?
- How the media influences public opinion?
- Ethical considerations and the need for Euthanasia?
- Animal rights violations and the need for Zoos.
How to Ace Your Debate?[optin-monster-shortcode id=”xf2mlnjiouddzrshykdb”]
Now you already are aware of some popular debate topics, the next thing you should be doing is to prepare for them. You should expect tough competition from the opposite side and preparing beforehand and getting your arguments ready should be your priority. Below given are some of the tips that would help you to ace your discussion as per your debate topics:
- Research information from multiple sources.
- Anticipate the arguments of the other side and prepare your counter-arguments based on them.
- Keep your information succinct as per the given time.
- Practice it at least some days in advance and try to achieve fluency while delivering arguments.
- Avoid anecdotes and personal attack. Instead, focus on objective and factual information.
- Do not lose your temper. Keeping calm help you assess the facts and articulate better.
- Avoid looking into the paper and use your memory instead.
- Avoid fillers while speaking and try delivering composed sentences.
- Use your body language and maintain eye contact, but make sure you don’t make others uncomfortable.
- Accept your mistakes and apologize politely for them.
Whether it is applying for university admission or presenting your argument on a live show, debates test your verbal ability and knowledge of the subject. Thus it becomes necessary to research on the given debate topics in advance. If you want to take your skills to the next level by pursuing education at the top universities abroad, Leverage Edu can be your companion. Our experts will help you with the application process and prepare you for your walk-in-interview for the university admission.