While beginning your job hunt, there is a standard procedure that is followed by the recruiters. There are aptitude test for interview followed by face-to-face session and group discussion. Its time to begin your preparation for the screening process giving your holistic cognitive evaluation. But what exactly is an aptitude test? This is exactly what we are going to look at. Continue reading the blog to know the different types of aptitude test and tips and trick to follow while preparing for any of them.
Must Read: How to Crack an Interview
This Blog Includes
What is an Aptitude Test?
An aptitude test is a pre-employment test that screens your cognitive ability, giving meaningful insights about your general intelligence including critical thinking and problem-solving skills, ability to grasp a piece of information, interpret it and put it to use. Aptitude test for interview help in determining your efficiency and how well you’ll perform in your respective job profile. However, the testing is administered with a standard approach so that judgement can be done in a quantifiable manner and in an unbiased atmosphere.
Also Read: How to Crack a Personal Interview
Types of Aptitude Tests
Recruiters use aptitude test for interview to evaluate candidates and narrow down the applicant pool. Below listed are the various kinds of aptitude tests conducted by numerous organisations:
- Verbal Ability Test
Checks the capability of a candidate to express coherent ideas in a crisp manner.
- Numerical Reasoning Test
A core aspect of any psychometric test. It assesses the ability to interpret, and analyse numerical data to draw logical conclusions.
- Situational Judgement Test
Designed for a specific area of work, it tests your relevant skills for a particular job role with realistic hypothetical scenarios.
- Cognitive Ability Test
Checks the abilities involved in thinking like problem-solving, memory, perception and reasoning to estimate the candidate’s mental process to solve work-related problems.
- Inductive Reasoning Test or Abstract Reasoning Test
Logical process in which different premises, all found true or believed true, are combined to obtain a particular conclusion to predict, forecast a behaviour.
Based on the portfolio that you’re applying for, there are certain subject-specific aptitude test for interview like the Watson Glaser Test, Mechanical Reasoning Test, Spatial Awareness Test, Error Detection Test.
Also Read: Online Aptitude Tests You Can Take For Free
Preparation Tips and Tricks
“Productivity is never an accident. It is always the result of a commitment to excellence, intelligent planning and figured effort.” by Paul J. Meyer
Here are some expert tips on cracking your aptitude test for interview:
- Give Mock Tests: Perform under time constraint without any breaks. This will help you measure factors like how long does it take for you to finish the test, to address your weak and strong suit as well as how can improve your performance. So, look for online forums that would help you give free mock tests.
- Research is the Key to Success: Well, when we dive into research, we find answers for a lot of things that were once a mystery or that did not even exist for us. Learn from the warriors that never go to war unless they are willing to win.
- Avoid the Scattergun Approach: Don’t just randomly while answering the question. A good score of the aptitude test for the interview asks for speed and accuracy. So, work carefully and quickly.
Sample Questions and Answers for Aptitude Tests
To help you get a deeper insight what kind of aptitude test questions are asked in an interview, we have also prepared a list of sample Q&As. Here are some sample questions and answers for aptitude test in interview:
- You have been working as a salesperson for the past year and have consistently achieved great sales numbers. Due to personal reasons, you have recently been unfocused at work and as a result, your work performance has declined. Additionally, due to changes in the market, the sales figures of your team have decreased as well. Your director does not seem to be taking the changes in the market into account and is blaming your poor performance on poor leadership on your part. What would you do and why?
Answer: I would try to devote more of your time into my work putting aside my personal situation and try to consult other sales directors to find out their ways of coping with the changing market.
- You are a department manager and you have recently thought of a new procedure that you believe would improve the work process. Some of the employees in your department agree with the change and some do not. One of your employees openly criticised the idea to your director.
Answer: I would talk to the employee personally and try to explain to him/her about the benefits that change could bring and that help them understand that it’s not a wise decision to bypass your authority so openly.
- Sidney is older than Rachel. Rachel and Beatrice are both older than Tina. Elena is not the youngest. Who is the youngest of the five?
Logical Reasoning & Aptitude Questions for Interview:
- 40% of the women are above 30 years of age and 80% of the women are less than or equal to 50 years of age. 20% of all women cook. If 30% of the women above the age of 50 cooks, what percent of cooks are less than or equal to 50 years?
- Average weight of three friends Ram, Sita and Laxman is 70kg. Another person Bharat joins the group and now the average is 66kg. If another person Shatrugan whose weight is 6 kg more than Bharat, joins the group replacing Ram. The average weight of Sita, Laxman, Bharat and Shatrughan becomes 75 kg. What is the weight of Amar?
- What Is The Probability Of Getting 2 Prime Nos. From 1 To 20?
- Sumit bought some toys at a 20% discount on the original price. The original price of each toy was Rs. 40. If he made a total savings of Rs. 240, how many toys did he buy?Answer: 30
Aptitude Test Questions for IT Companies
- Write a program to remove duplicates from a sorted array.
- What will be the output of the program if the array begins 1200 in memory?
- In which stage the following code #include<stdio.h> gets replaced by the contents of the file stdio.h
- Find the second largest element in an array with minimum no of comparisons and give the minimum no of comparisons needed on an array of size N to do the same.
- Name the phenomena in which one proton is jumped from one isomer to another isomer to create two different elements
- Seven different toys are distributed among 3 children how many different ways are possible?
- What are the files which are automatically opened when a C file is executed?
- The sum of the series 1 + 1(1+1/n) + 3(1+1/n)2 + ….. is equal to?
- What is the best tool for editing a graphic image?
- A speaks truth 70% of the times, B speaks truth 80% of the times. What is the probability that both are contradicting each other?
Aptitude Test Questions for HR Interview
Here are the popular aptitude test questions for HR Interviews:
- What is the most influential step in the performance management process in order to enforce expectations?
- The HR department recently made a new compensation incentive plan. If the company’s performance was greater than 2% improvement in productivity, all employees would receive a $250 quarterly bonus. What is this type of incentive?
- You are creating a survey of employee opinions. One of the survey questions is: At what location do you work? What measurement scale type is being used for this question.
- An HR director decides her performance evaluations for managers is not provided effective feedback. She implements a new questionnaire that she sends to the employees who work with each manager. The questionnaire evaluates the manager’s performance. Which type of evaluation is this.
- You are implementing a new learning management system and are preparing the purchasing proposal for senior management. You have to calculate the return on investment to demonstrate the advantage of buying the system. How is ROI calculated?
- You are tasked to create a new sexual harassment training program for management and employees. You determine the objectives, develop the evaluation plan and sequence the content of the training program. By doing this, what step of the ADDIE model are you conducting?
- What is meant by applicant status?
- What do day types mean?
- What is the feature used to create a personnel number? How do you create a personnel number?
- What are the dynamic actions? Where do you configure them?
Aptitude Test Questions for Accounting
Here are the major aptitude test questions for Accounting interviews:
- Which financial statement reports the revenues and expenses for a period of time.
- To which account in the Balance Sheet is the net income or net loss transferred to at the end of the accounting period?
- What is meant by accounts receivable?
- What is the difference between working capital and fixed capital?
- Which document authorizes the purchase transaction?
- Mention the difference between SAP memory and ABAP memory
- List some of the most popular accounting software
- A person bought a machine costing Rs 50 lakhs which depreciates at 10% p.a.. What would be the value of machinery after 5 years if we calculate depreciation with a written down value method.
- What is fair value in accounting?
- While preparing a profit and loss account statement, you found out that even after a good turnover, your profits are turning out to be low. What would be your next step?
Besides, the importance of aptitude tests for interview, they are one of the most important elements in all major competitive and entrance exams like UPSC, Railways, Defence, IBPS, Bank, GATE, CAT, MAT, GMAT, CSAT, CLAT, SSC, SNAP, XAT, GRE, UGC, etc. So it is imperative to practice well and enhance your skills with the best resources. So, book your free 30 minutes counselling session with our experts at Leverage Edu and we can help you give insights to improve the quality of career decisions and to choose the best for yourself.