Do you find delegation, organization, and management of any task very interesting? If you do, the Project management field may the right one for you. Let’s explore this field in detail to be fully aware of this course field. All the relevant information is provided below to give you the solution to “How to Become a Project Manager?”.
This Blog Includes:
- What does a Project Manager do?
- How to become a Project Manager: A Step by Step Guide
- Top Universities for Project Manager Courses Abroad
- Top Colleges for Project Manager Courses in India
- Average Annual Salary of a Project Manager
- Skills Requirements for a Project Manager
What does a Project Manager do?
In project management, everything from initial planning to completion is overseen by a professional. In general, project managers are responsible for planning, procuring, and overseeing the execution of a project. Some of these responsibilities include:
- Creating actionable project plans from your ideas.
- Identify specific tasks to be completed and create a plan of action to complete the project.
- To manage the project, form a team.
- Make sure all project team members understand their responsibilities and perform them properly.
- Participate in the project with stakeholders who will be affected.
- Establish a project budget and manage monetary aspects of the project.
- Team members should be trained and coached to do their best while working on a project.
- Prepare the completed project for submission to the manager or client.
How to become a Project Manager: A Step by Step Guide
Earn a Bachelor’s Degree
A bachelor’s degree is usually required for those wishing to become project managers. Your undergraduate degree can be focused on a variety of areas, but business management is the most popular. Additionally, you may choose to major in marketing, project management, or studies in the field you want to work in, like engineering or IT.
Choosing a Specialization
You may work as a project manager for various kinds of companies in many different industries. You can determine what steps you should take to become a project manager by deciding on the field in which you want to work. The most common specializations are in the fields of energy, engineering, and construction.
An advanced project management certification can help you stand out amongst other applicants; it may also be required for some project management positions. One can earn the Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM) and the Project Management Professional (PMP)certifications offered through the Project Management Institute.
To gain some experience is essential to becoming a project manager. Experience gives you exposure to various areas within project management. With experience, you gain expertise in handling the work and develop skills that are fruitful for your career.
Top Universities for Project Manager Courses Abroad
A list of the top universities that offer courses in project management has been mentioned below for your reference. You may research these universities to find the best suitable match for you.
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Sloan)||USA|
|Arizona State University (W.P. Carey)||USA|
|University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (Ross)||USA|
|Boston University (Questrom)||USA|
|Carnegie Mellon University (Tepper)||USA|
|The University of Northampton||UK|
|University of Salford||UK|
|University of Sussex||UK|
|University of Bristol||UK|
|University of Manchester||UK|
|University of Northern British Columbia||Canada|
|University of Saskatchewan||Canada|
Still confused? Don’t worry! Book your consultation seats now with Leverage Edu experts to solve all your queries.
Top Colleges for Project Manager Courses in India
If you want to look out for some Indian Colleges, you can refer to the below-mentioned list.
- Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore
- National Institute of Industrial Engineering
- Symbiosis Institute of Management Studies
- DIT University
- S. P. Jain Institute of Management and Research
- Amity University, Mumbai
- Symbiosis International University
- MIT School of Technology Management
- Indian School of Business
- Sikkim Manipal University
Average Annual Salary of a Project Manager
|Countries||Average Annual Salary|
|UK||£ 49,109 (INR 48,46,000)|
|USA||$ 81,260 (INR 61,24,000)|
|Canada||CA$ 84,482 (INR 51,09,000)|
Worried about your expenses Abroad? Let Leverage Finance help you!
Skills Requirements for a Project Manager
Skills in project management is the core abilities needed to successfully oversee a project from start to finish. The following skills are very important for a project manager to possess:
- Team management
- Time management
- Risk management
- Budget management
- Technical writing
- Technologically savvy
- Reporting skills
- Active listening
- Research skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Project management methodologies
- Policy knowledge
- Conflict management
For PMI members, the exam price costs $405, and for non-PMI members, it is $555 which is quite expensive for a student.
In order to promote to a higher level in the organization, specialized training and business knowledge are required which an MBA can provide.
Yes, once you pass the exam your certification becomes valid for 5 years. You need to re-certify after 5 years in order to put CAPM after your name.
Hope after reading this blog you understand how to become a project manager. Planning to study abroad and become a project manager? Our Leverage Edu experts will provide you with end-to-end assistance from the application to the Visa process. Call us at 1800 57 2000 to book a FREE 30-minutes counseling session today.