Geography is the true amalgamation of science and humanities; geography is a multidisciplinary subject that focuses on scientific and human impact on our natural environment, population and ecology. MA Geography is a popular two-year postgraduate degree offered by several universities and colleges in India and in the world. If you are interested in studying geography then this article is perfect for you because we are going to cover all the relevant details regarding MA Geography or master in geography!
About MA Geography
MA Geography is a highly coveted post-graduate programme that focuses on the human and physical characteristics of geography. Masters in geography involves rigorous coursework with an emphasis on research and fieldwork. It covers the subject matter in a comprehensive and scientific manner by studying like physical environment, ecology, disaster management, climatology, natural resource management, planning etc. The course includes certain core subjects as well as specialisations which students can pursue based on personal interest.
Master in Geography Syllabus and Subjects
The syllabus for MA Geography or Master in Geography is designed to develop the skills and research acumen of post-graduate students. It focuses on the study of the socio-economic and physical environment, demography, landscape, population, urban settlement, regional planning and quantitative methodology. The syllabus may differ based on the university yet there are some common subjects-
- Historical and Political Geography
- Geohydrology and Oceanography
- Human Ecology and Ecosystem
- Cartographic Techniques and Map Projection
- Quantitative Techniques and Digital Data Processing
- Social, Cultural and Settlement Geography
- Regional Planning and Development
MA Geography Syllabus
MA Geography Syllabus IGNOU
The eligibility criteria for MA Geography or Master in Geography is:
- Applicants must have a bachelors degree in geography or geography as a compulsory subject in the undergraduate programme, from a recognised university/institution.
- A minimum of 50% in graduation is a necessary requirement for admissions at universities in India.
- If you are applying for MA Geography or Master in Geography abroad, you need to provide IELTS/TOEFL scores and some universities might also ask you for GRE scores as well. Students should Statement of Purpose (SOP) and Letters of Recommendation (LORs).
MA Geography Distance Education from Delhi University
Admission Process for Master in Geography
Admissions to MA Geography programmes are either direct or entrance based. Some universities like Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi University, Jamia Millia Islamia University conduct entrances for admissions to their master’s programmes like MA Geography.
Top Universities and Colleges in India for MA Geography
- Lady Shri Ram College of Commerce, Delhi University
- Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
- Miranda House, Delhi University
- Jamia Millia Islamia University, New Delhi
- Panjab University, Chandigarh
- Christ University, Bangalore
- Presidency University, Kolkata
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Amity University, Noida
Top Universities Offering MA Geography Abroad
|University||Location||QS Ranking 2021 (Subject-wise)|
|University of Oxford||United Kingdom||1|
|London School of Economics and Political Science||United Kingdom||2|
|University of Cambridge||United Kingdom||3|
|University of California, Berkeley(UCB)||United States of America||4|
|National University of Singapore||Singapore||5|
|University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)||United States of America||6|
|Australian National University||Australia||7|
|University of British Columbia||Canada||8|
|University of Toronto||Canada||10|
Career Prospects after Master in Geography
MA Geography is perfect for all those who wish to pursue MPhil or PhD in Geography or a related field. It also opens up several opportunities in areas like academics, journalism, travel and tourism, information technology, planning, teaching and more. Let us look at certain job profiles that MA graduates are eligible for-
- Assistant Professor
- Regional and Urban Planner
- Conservation Officer
- Environmental Specialist
This is all about MA Geography or Master in Geography course! Hopefully, this blog was informative for all those who are planning to study geography at the masters level. If you want to masters abroad, get in touch with our experts at Leverage Edu and we will guide you through the entire process and get into your dream college. Book a free session today.