As trainers, health gurus and fitness enthusiasts become more popular so does the branch of physical education. A sure-shot way to advance your career in physical education is to study MPEd. Master of Physical Education is an upcoming yet non-conventional 2- year degree offered by various universities and colleges in India. If you want to pursue MPEd then keep on reading because we are going to cover all details about this course, from eligibility criteria to career scope!
This Blog Includes:
Masters of Physical Education is a postgraduate programme for a duration of 2 years. The programme comprises theoretical and practical subjects pertaining to team management, sports training, medicine, health education and nutrition. The objective is to expose students to topics like the theory of different sports and games, indigenous physical activities, research methodology and statistics, sports psychology and game specialisation. The course aims to equip students with the practical skills and techniques required to develop a career. Most programmes offer specialisations in subjects like test, measurement and evaluation in physical education, sports journalism, applied kinesiology, exercise and disease management.
Must Read: How to Become a Sports Scientist?
The course structure of the MPEd programme consists of a combination of core and elective subjects along with practical specialisation in various specific sports and a dissertation. Students can choose their game specialisations and electives based on personal interest. Let us look at some of the common subjects in Master of Physical Education:
- Research Process in Physical Education
- Game Specialisation in any chosen sport
- Sports Management
- Sports Psychology
- Sports Technology
- Test, Measurement and Evaluation
- Yoga Sciences
- Exercise Physiology
- Athletic Care and Rehabilitation
- Professional Preparation and Curriculum Design
- Sports Medicine
Let us look at the eligibility requirements for the programme offered at different universities and colleges
- A Bachelors’ degree in Physical Education or B.Sc in Physical Education, Health Education and Sports with a minimum of 50% or 55% marks in the graduation level from a recognised institution.
- Candidates must be medically fit and capable of indulging in strenuous physical training and activities.
The admission process for MPEd is either based on merit or entrance examinations conducted by respective universities. Candidates are shortlisted based on the results of the entrances/merit and invited for a fitness test and personal interview. The common national entrances for the course in India are:
- It is mandatory to appear for entrances like DUET, BHU PET, Pondicherry University Entrance Exam, OUCET or PU CET for admissions
- Candidates interested in applying overseas have to give standardised tests like TOEFL or IELTS and fulfil the specific requirements of the course/university
Top Indian Universities for MPEd
Here is a list of top universities in India offering Masters of Physical Education and their NIRF University Rankings:
|University||NIRF Ranking 2020|
|Banaras Hindu University||3|
|University of Delhi||11|
|Aligarh Muslim University||17|
|University of Mumbai||65|
Universities/Colleges for MPEd Abroad
Master of Physical Education is a fairly popular course abroad and is offered by some of the best universities across the world. Before applying you should check the specific requirements and eligibility criteria of every programme. Here are some foreign universities offering M.PEd or equivalent courses and specialisations that you can explore:
- University of Sydney, Australia
- University of Michigan, US
- University of Queensland, Australia
- University of Missouri, US
- Deakin University, Australia
- University of Toronto, Canada
- University of British Colombia, Canada
- Massey University, New Zealand
Career Scope of Master of Physical Education
A master of physical education is likely to open up various opportunities for you in areas like sports management, journalism, education, therapy, recreation or coaching. This course is essential if you want to pursue research studies or PhD in physical education. Let us look at some specific job profiles that you can pursue after MPEd
- Fitness Trainer
- Assistant Professor
- Physical Therapist
- Sports Manager
- Health Instructor
- Yoga Instructor
This was all about MPEd! The field of physical education is vast, evergrowing and full of exciting opportunities. If you are interested in the field then you should definitely apply for an MPEd and gain greater academic and practical credibility to advance in the area. If you are still confused about your career options and need some career guidance then contact our experts at Leverage Edu!