The onslaught of the pandemic made us all realize the importance of healthcare workers in our society and the general need to uphold and promote public health. In a post – covid world, a degree in public health is going to be in high demand. If you’ve been considering pursuing a postgraduate course in public health, you’ve come to the right place. In this blog, we bring to you all the necessary information you need to know before enrolling for a Masters in Public health program in Australia.
|Fee Range||30,500 AUD to 100,500 AUD (INR 16,98,086 – 55,95,332)|
|Resumption date||Start Year Entry: February
Mid-Year Entry: July
|Specializations||Health Promotion and Disease Prevention,
Epidemiology, Health Program Evaluation
|Recruiting Companies||World Health Organization, International Research Agencies,
|Job Positions||Public Health Analyst, Public Health Consultant,
|Annual salary||110,000 AUD (INR 61,00,000)|
This Blog Includes:
- Overview of Masters in Public Health
- Why Study Masters in Public Health in Australia?
- Top Universities for Masters in Public Health in Australia
- Curriculum for Masters in Public Health in Australia
- Admission Process of Masters in Public Health in Australia
- Scholarships Available
- Scope of Masters in Public Health in Australia
Overview of Masters in Public Health
Masters in Public health program is a 2 year, full-time program that aims to provide in-depth knowledge in the field of health care. It consolidates expertise and specialization in the field of health science. The programmes offered in Australia span for a duration of 1 to 3 years and comprises a plethora of teaching techniques including lectures, case discussions, practical exercises, lab work, field visits, seminars, journal clubs, collaborative learning, group discussions, assignments, hands-on training, internship, and dissertation. Depending on the institute, the cost may vary anywhere between 30,500 AUD to 100,500 (INR 16,98,086 – 55,95,332). This course gives you an opportunity to specialize in biostatistics, epidemiology, public health practice, public health economics, etc.
Why Study Masters in Public Health in Australia?
Australia has turned into a popular study destination for people around the world. Here are some of the reasons why you must consider pursuing a course in Public health from Australia.
- Australia is home to some of the finest universities with an international reputation. Many of the universities such as Monash University, University of Melbourne etc have been featured on the prestigious QS world rankings list and many more. The public health program in these universities is delivered by reputed professors and provides top-notch facilities and infrastructure.
- In Australia, the healthcare and medical industry have been developing at a fast pace. As per recent reports, there has been an increase in job opportunities by a staggering 11.1%. This makes Australia a go-to destination for pursuing a program in public health.
- Masters in public health programs fetch a high-paying job in Australia. The average annual salary for a beginning is about 127,000 AUD which after translating to Indian rupees is about 61 lakhs INR.
Also Read: Study in Australia for International Students
Top Universities for Masters in Public Health in Australia
Given below is the list of some of the top-ranking universities in Australia for the course of Masters in Public Health.
|University||Programs offered||Duration (years)||Fee||Eligibility|
|23||University of Melbourne||MPH||2||100,499 AUD (INR 55,95,332)||60% in degree.
|23||University of Queensland||MPH||1.5||50,136 AUD
|35||University of Sydney||MPH||1.5||73,500 AUD
|48||Monash University||MPH||1-2||40,300 – 80,600 (INR 22,45,227 – INR 44,90,454)||Degree: 65%
|51-75||University of South Wales||MPH||1-2||48,280 – 96,560 (INR 26,89,006 – INR 53,78,012)||TOEFL: 90
|51-75||University of Western Australia||MPH||1.5||58,650 (INR 32,66,574)||TOEFL: 100
|76-100||Queensland Institute of Technology||MPH||2-4||31,800 – 127,200 (INR 17,71,001 – 70,84,006)||Degree: 65%
|76-100||Australian National University||MPH||2||96,000 (INR 53,46,419)||Degree: 65%
|101-150||Griffith University||MPH||1.5||30500 – 45,750 (INR 16,98,687 – 25,48,031)||TOEFL : 79
IELTS – 6.5
Also Read: Masters in Public Health in Canada
Curriculum for Masters in Public Health in Australia
In most universities in Australia, Public health includes 3 main components:
- Core course component – 6-8 subjects depending on the structure of the institution.
- specialist/electives of the component- students focus on their specialization and develop the skills necessary in their chosen field.
- Capstone subjects – students are given the opportunity to apply their skills across core subjects, specializations and real-world projects.
- The first year will include subjects like Foundations of Public health, Prioritising and Planning in Public Health, Quantitative Research in Public Health, Biostatistics and Epidemiology.
- The second year is a progression of the first year with additional subjects such as the introduction of advanced methodology in healthcare practices with research work and work experience.
- Several other elective courses will also be offered which is helpful in gaining credit points.
Also Read: BSc in Public Administration
Admission Process of Masters in Public Health in Australia
Candidates who choose to enrol in an Australian Master’s programme in public health should be aware of the information below. Visit the programme page on the institution’s official website or the university’s application page if you’re interested in applying. Admission to University of Queens (UQ) and University of Western Australia (UWA) can be processed through an authorised UQ agent and an authorised UWA agent, respectively, in the applicant’s nation, in addition to the official school site.
|University||UG Degree Requirements||TOEFL||IELTS|
|University of Melbourne||60%||58-64||6.5 (with no band less than 6.0)|
|University of Queensland||UG in relevant field||Minimum 87 with no section less than 19.||6.5 (with no band less than 6.0)|
|University of Sydney||UG degree in relevant field||85 with no section less than 19.||6.5 (with no band less than 6.0)|
|Monash University||60%||79, with minimum scores: Reading 13, Listening 12, Speaking 18 and Writing 21||6.5 (with no band less than 6.0)|
|University of New South Wales||Relevant degree, 2 years of work experience||90 (min. 23 in writing, 22 in reading, listening and speaking)||6.5 (with no band less than 6.0)|
|University of Western Australia||60% in relevant degree||82||7.0 (with no band less than 6.5)|
|Queensland University of Technology||65%||90 (min. 21 in writing, 18 in speaking, 16 in reading, and listening)||6.5 (with no band less than 6.0|
|Australian National University||63%||100 with a minimum of 27 in Writing, 24 in Reading and Listening, and 23 in Speaking||7.0 (with no band less than 6.5)|
|Curtin University||Relevant degree||79 with a minimum of 21 in Writing, 13 in Reading and Listening, and 18 in Speaking||6.5 (with no band less than 6.0)|
|Griffith University||Relevant degree||79 (no sub-score less than 19)||6.5 (with no band less than 6.0)|
Besides the application, the applicants will be required to submit the following documents :
- Evidence of English Language proficiency
- Course-specific documents requirements
- Passport copy
- Financial statements
Also Read: Nursing Courses in Australia
Following is the list of scholarships offered to international students pursuing Public health in Australia.
|Maria Sklodowska-Curie Actions scholarship||20,000 – 160,000 AUD (INR 11,13,388 – INR 89,07,109)||University of Melbourne|
|The Harvey Sutton Public Health Scholarship||5000 AUD (INR 2,78,347)||University of Sydney|
|Monash Merit Scholarship||10,000 AUD(INR 5,56,694)||Monash University|
|Australia’s Global University Award||5,000 – 10,000 (INR 2,78,347- 5,56,694)||University of New South Wales|
|Australian Development Scholarship||25,000 AUD (INR 31,91,852)||University of Western Australia|
Also Read: MBA in Australia for Indian Students
Scope of Masters in Public Health in Australia
Graduates of Masters in public health have a wide range of career pathways including
- Government-affiliated organizations hospitals, primary health care organizations, large international health organizations.
- Government: federal, state or local
- Universities and research institutions.
- Private companies based in Australia, consulting firms, smaller health-focused consulting firms, health communication companies or the pharmaceutical industry.
Also Read: Masters in Public Health in UK
Ans. As per research conducted in Australia in 2017, Healthcare and Medical industry is the fastest-growing sector. Public Health is also a versatile and flexible field of study, so your degree could lead you to any one of a wide range of career pathways
Ans. Here are the courses you can do after Public Health:
1. Medical and Health Services Manager
2. Health Educator
3. Community Health Worker
4. Public Health Management Analyst
5. Director of Programs and Services
6. Health Communication Specialist
7. Research Scientist
8. Environmental Health Intelligence Analyst
Ans. Here are the best colleges for Public Health in Australia:
1. University of Melbourne
2. University of Queensland Australia
3. University of Sydney.
4. Monash University
5. University of New South Wales
6. Australian National University
7. Deakin University
8. Griffith University.
This was all about Masters in Public Health in Australia. We hope you find this blog helpful in making a well thought out and informed choice. In case you need guidance related to your admission process, feel free to get in touch with our study abroad consultants for a free session at Leverage Edu!!