Chemistry is the essence of all that happens around us. Every minute and humongous change that takes place around us has some Chemical concept hidden at its core. If you want to delve deep into this field and advances your career in Chemistry, then one course that can help you explore this world is MSc Applied Chemistry. It helps you not just discover the inner workings of science, but also how it is translated into daily use. So, let’s explore the topic further with the help of this article.
This Blog Includes:
- What is MSc Applied Chemistry?
- MSc Applied Chemsitry Eligibility Criteria
- MSc Applied Chemistry Syllabus
- MSc Applied Chemistry Universities Abroad
- MSc Applied Chemistry Colleges in India
- MSc Applied Chemistry: Career Scope
- MSc Applied Chemsitry Syllabus
- MSc Applied Chemistry Colleges in Mumbai
- MSc Applied Chemistry Colleges in Tamil Nadu
- MSc Applied Chemistry Colleges in Kerala
- Difference between MSc Organic Chemistry and MSc Applied Chemistry
|Course Name||Master of Science in Applied Science|
|Duration||1.5- 2 Years|
|Basic Eligibility||A UG degree in Chemistry with a minimum of 50% along with required marks in the asked entrance exam|
|Job Profiles||Researcher Technician, Chemical Engineering, Statistician Accountant, Associate Biomedical, Chemist Demographer, Consulting Physicist, Senior Physicist, Analytical Chemist, Teacher, Scientist, etc|
|Average Salary||INR 3,00,000- 4,00,000 per annum|
What is MSc Applied Chemistry?
Masters of Science or MSc Applied Chemistry is a postgraduate degree course offered to those who hold a degree in BSc Applied Chemistry or its variants. Running for a period of 2 years, it is divided into 4 semesters and imparts knowledge on concepts pertaining to Physical and Material Chemistry along with Chemical and Environmental Engineering.
MSc Applied Chemsitry Eligibility Criteria
- A UG degree in Chemistry or Applied Chemistry with minimum marks required from a recognized institute
- You need to obtain a minimum percentile in English proficiency tests like IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, etc.
- Some universities abroad may also ask for a good score in GRE exam.
- Along with this, you will be needing statement of purpose (SOP), LORs, transcripts, and other requisite documents.
- On the other hand, if you are looking forward to seeking admssion in the Indian colleges, need same requirments for a UG degree
MSc Applied Chemistry Syllabus
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Introduction to Quantum Chemistry & Group Theory- I
- Molecular Spectroscopy
- Physical Chemistry
- Analytical Techniques
- Spectroscopy and Magnetism in Inorganic Chemistry
- Organic Syntheses
- Chemistry of Drug Design
- Environmental Chemistry
- Organometallic Chemistry
- Computer programming for Chemistry
- Polymer Chemistry
- Applied Organic Chemistry
- Applied Inorganic Practical
- Solid State Chemistry
MSc Applied Chemistry Subjects
Apart from the pure chemistry and core subjects, instrumentation techniques, nanomaterials and applications of nanotechnology, photocatalysis, waste management, polymer technology, etc are some of the modules which you will study throughout the journey of the course. These subjects are taught to great depths, thus leading to the splitting of the syllabus into theoretical and applied. Here are some of the subjects offered in MSc Applied Chemistry:
Inorganic Chemistry is the sub-discipline of Chemistry that studies the behaviour and synthesis of all inorganic substances. This includes all non-carbon compounds present in the known universe. This subject is applicable in a wide range of sectors, including manufacturing, metal ore processing, among others.
The branch of Chemistry that deals with the characteristics and reactions of organic compounds is known as Organic Chemistry. The study of organic reactions includes the study of natural products, drugs, and carbon-based compounds. These studies are applicable to healthcare, research, and biomedical studies and thus form an essential component of the MSc Applied Chemistry course.
Physical Chemistry is a study of gauging the Chemical phenomena with the help of Physics principles. All beings, substances, and reactions follow the rules of Physics, hence, it is applicable in all kinds of Chemistry. It focuses on the macroscopic reactions, thus simplifying bulk reactions with the help of concepts of Physics like Thermodynamics, Force, Momentum, Time, and others.
Analytical Chemistry is a branch of Chemical studies that uses various tools, equipment, and techniques to measure, identify, and quantify the constituents of a chemical reaction. These can be recorded in various forms like color, reactivity, melting points, and other such perceptible changes. This is an important subject of MSc Applied Chemistry as its knowledge is applied in all scientific lab work, be it analytical or research work.
MSc Applied Chemistry Universities Abroad
There are a number of renowned Institutes around the globe which provide an MSc Applied Chemistry degree. While some of these Universities offer this as an isolated course, most choose to combine it with Analytical Chemistry in their curriculum. Here are some of the best Institutes offering a Master’s in Applied Chemistry around the world:
|University College London||UK|
|University of Aberdeen||Scotland|
|Technical University of Denmark||Denmark|
|University at Albany||USA|
|FH Aachen University of Applied Sciences||Germany|
|The Graduate School at The Petroleum Institute||UAE|
|HZ University of Applied Sciences||The Netherlands|
Note: This is not an exhaustive list.
MSc Applied Chemistry Colleges in India
Here is a list of colleges in India that offer MSc Applie Chemistry course-
- Amity University Chhattisgarh ( AU) , Raipur
- Sacred Heart College ( SHC) , Kochi
- Birla Institute Of Technology ( BIT MESRA) , Ranchi
- Maharaja’s College, Ernakulam
- Samrat Ashok Technological Institute ( SATI VIDISHA) , Vidisha
- Shri Govindram Seksaria Institute Of Technology And Science ( SGSITS) , Indore
- C. V. Raman College Of Engineering ( C.V.RCE) , Bhubaneswar
- Bharat Mata College ( BMC) , Kochi
- Ideal College Of Arts & Sciences ( ICAS) , Kakinada
MSc Applied Chemistry: Career Scope
This course offers job opportunities in various industries that are related to real-life applications of Chemistry in some way or the other. While these jobs are mostly skill-based, some of them can also be managerial in nature. Here are some of the major career options to follow after completing your MSc Applied Chemistry degree course:
Analytical Chemists are individuals who record, identify the nature of various chemical substances and reactions. They use a wide variety of software, techniques and equipment to analyse and interpret the data, also making sure that data is accurate and in accordance with guidelines. They derive the majority of their functional knowledge from Analytical Chemistry, a core subject taught in MSc Applied Chemistry. These are employed by Government and private laboratories, as well as research groups and chemical manufacturers.
Production Chemists are employed at manufacturing plants, where they oversee the production of goods that require complex Chemical reactions and processes. These include medicines, cosmetics, healthcare products, and processed food plants. They ensure quality and consistency in production and are commonly regarded as production supervisors in such organisations.
Laboratory Supervisor is a person who ensures proper upkeep of a Chemical Laboratory in all respects. This essentially means ensuring availability of required material, orderliness and timely upgradation of the Laboratory. These supervisors are required at all organizations which have a Science Laboratory, be it Schools, Colleges or Professional grounds.
Having undergone intensive education in the field of Chemistry, students are equipped to take up the responsibilities of a teacher after completing their MSc in Applied Sciences. They can choose to teach High School or Undergraduate students as Assistant Professors, and pursue a Doctoral degree simultaneously. Upon completion of PhD, they are ready to teach students at higher academic levels.
After completing your post-graduation in MSc Applied Chemistry, you can choose to pursue higher education. It translates to better pay and recognition in the Scholarly world if an individual chooses to pursue a career in Research. In a subject specialisation of their choice, students can go for either opt for an M.Phill or a Doctor of Philosophy [PhD].
MSc Applied Chemsitry Syllabus
The average salary of the graduates of this course ranges around INR 4,00,000- 5,00,000 in India. However, it mainly depends on the companies you opt for.
MSc Applied Chemistry Colleges in Mumbai
- Ramnarain Ruia College (RUIA COLLEGE)
- The SIES College of Arts, Science & Commerce (SIES)
- Guru Nanak College of Arts, Science and Commerce (GNCASC)
- Mithibai College of Arts, Chauhan Institute of Science & Amrutben Jivanlal College of Commerce and Economics (MCACISACCE)
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR)
- Institute of Chemical Technology (ICT)
- VES’s College of Arts Science and Commerce (VES COLLEGE)
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies – NMIMS
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)
- Maharshi Dayanand College of Arts, Science and Commerce (MD COLLEGE)
- Rishi Dayaram and Seth Hassaram National College and Seth Wassiamull Assomull Science College (RDSHNCSWASC)
MSc Applied Chemistry Colleges in Tamil Nadu
- Anna University – Chennai
- PSG College of Technology
- Thiagarajar College of Engineering, Madurai
- BS Abdur Rahman University, Chennai
- PSN College of Engineering and Technology
MSc Applied Chemistry Colleges in Kerala
- Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham
- Sacred Heart College
- Kerala University
- National Institute of Technology Calicut
- Central University of Kerala
- Cochin University of Science and Technology
- School of Medical Education, Kottayam
- Bharat Mata College ( BMC) , Kochi
- B.A.M College ( BACM) , Pathanamthitta
Difference between MSc Organic Chemistry and MSc Applied Chemistry
With this, this article concludes the important information regarding MSc Applied Chemistry. If you wish to know more about such specialisation courses, or you want to explore all the foreign opportunities that lie waiting for you, wait no more. At Leverage Edu, we provide expert career guidance to students regarding the best college and career options available for them overseas. Not just that, we personally overlook the enrollment and admission process to ensure your place is cemented in your dream university. So, let us begin with our journey today by booking a free e-meeting!