If you want to experience culture, literature, folklore, ancestry, antiquity, innovation, and creativity and be an element of the progressive education system, India is the place to be! The system of higher education in India is the second most extensive in the whole world. Here in this blog, we talk in detail about why you should study in India.
Why Study in India?
India is home to many top colleges and universities. The institutions of engineering have been and are the most popular with students both national and international. Indian academics are now extending a host of other programs like Masters in Business Administration, Sciences, Liberal Arts, Artificial Intelligence, Design Thinking and Photonics among many others. Many of its higher education establishments have been counted in the top 100 Asian Universities as per QS and The World University rankings of 2018.
Top Universities: Study in India
Here we have prepared a list of some of the top colleges best suited for International Students. The universities are as per the rank they have gained in the QS India University Ranking 2020.
|QS World Rankings’20||Name of College||Place|
|152||Indian Institute of Technology||Bombay|
|184||Indian Institute of Science||Bangalore|
|601-650||University of Hyderabad||Hyderabad – Telangana|
|474||University of Delhi||Delhi|
|801-1000||University of Calcutta||Kolkata – West Bengal|
|651-700||Jadavpur University||Kolkata – West Bengal|
|751-800||Anna University||Chennai – Tamil Nadu|
|801-1000||University of Mumbai||Mumbai – Maharashtra|
|801-1000||Banaras Hindu University||Varanasi – Uttar Pradesh|
|801-1000||Birla Institute of Technology and Science Pilani||Pilani – Rajasthan|
|801-1000||Savitribai Phule Pune University||Pune – Maharashtra|
|182||Indian Institute of Technology||Delhi|
|701-750||Manipal Academy of Higher Education||Manipal – Karnataka|
|751-800||Jamia Millia Islamia||Delhi|
Admission Process: Study in India
India has more than seventeen thousand colleges and universities that admit foreign students. When deciding on your bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree to study in India, it is important to know about the admission process. Read on to know more regarding how to apply to a university in India, if you want to study in India. Mentioned below are things to keep in mind while applying to study in India.
- In India, universities have selection criteria, and some programs of study also have a quota or a threshold of students to be approved, depending upon the size of the organization. So, as an aspiring student in India, seek to have a brief of three universities. This way, you can shift to another alternative if you don’t make the first option.
- Every institution has its series of steps about applying for a tab for one of its degree programs. So, review the university site devoted to international aspirants.
- Colleges in India have their application timeframes in line with their scholarly schedule. Therefore, you must check the time limit for international applications and ensure that your forms are submitted within days of the deadline.
- Please make sure to submit the right documentation. If the guidelines state that it must be an original copy, a photocopy, a certified copy, a translated copy, or any other copy, do not assume that just any copy will do. The guidelines can save you time, money, and hard work.
- Like every other university in the world, educational institutions in India will request your accreditation and verification records when you apply. Quite often, they have a questionnaire about essays, especially for graduate and postgraduate programs.
- If you are mandated to submit letters of recommendation or a declaration of purpose, be sure to write them on your own. Also, include specifics that you consider relevant to your application. The student application process is very much like a hiring process, in which you try to commercialize yourself to be selected.
Admission Requirements for Indians
Most Indian students prefer to study their bachelors or even masters from their motherland, that is, they wish to study in India. However, there are certain requirements they need to meet in order to get admission. It is mentioned below:
- Must have qualified their 10+2 from a recognized board or any other equivalent exam.
- Certain colleges and universities release a cut off list that students need to meet to get admission. If the total percentage is equal to the cut off marks released, then they are granted admission.
- Some universities conduct entrance examinations that need to be qualified by students wishing to pursue a course. A group discussion and personal interviews follow the entrance examination. It varies from college to college.
Application Timeline & Process to Study in India
Applying to universities takes some time, given the different due dates that you need to satisfy. In some situations, the requisite exams have only one schedule. Usually, Educational institutions accept foreign students during the fall semester (July to November). Therefore, to help you prepare when to take every step of the admission procedure to study in India, you can consider the timeline below:
|November||Foreign Students need to take the required standardized
tests (IELTS, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, SAT, JEE) and wait for results.
|December||The JEE releases test scores. After this time, students ought to prepare the documents for the application.|
|January||International students have to start applying to their selected universities.|
|March||Admission applications for international students usually close at this time.|
|April||Most universities send their evaluation of admission applications. Expect to receive a response during this time.|
|May||Successful applicants can start applying for student loans, student visas, and scholarships.|
|June||This is the best time to look for accommodation options in India, prepare your finances, and fix your travel to India.|
|July||The autumn semester starts. By this time, you should already be in India and got acquainted with the new culture.|
Application Process for Foreign Students
Applying to a college in India is easy and stress-free when you know about the process and what steps to take. Most universities have similar acceptance processes, so it will be simple to apply. Below are the steps in applying to a university to study in India:
Verify if direct admittance is required to your chosen universities
- For most courses in India, international aspirants can submit their requests for admission directly to the university.
- Students who aspire to enter engineering, architecture, or planning study programs in the National Institutes of Technology and centrally financed universities can apply through the DASA (Direct Admission of Students Abroad) Scheme.
Admission Requirements for Foreign Studentss
You will be asked to submit your certificates whenever you submit your request for admittance to a university to study in India. The listing will incorporate academic records, an accomplished application form, and various certifications. Here is a list of the specific document requirements you need to submit:
- Valid passport
- Duly accomplished admission application form
- Certified copy of academic transcripts
- Curriculum vitae or comprehensive resume
- Language proficiency test scores like TOEFL, IELTS (for non-native English speakers)
- Letter of Motivation or Statement of Purpose
- Proof of financial capability (bank statements for self-financed students or letter of sponsorship for students with scholarship)
- Recommendation letters (from former professors or employers)
Other Admission Requirements
A few academic institutions in India necessitate test scores on, particularly standardized tests. Confirm if you need to take any one of these exams to study in India and get a test plan a few months when you’re about to initiate your studies in India The most prevalent exams that colleges are asking for if you want to study in India are:
- GRE (Graduate Record Examination)
- GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test)
- SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test)
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
If you plan to apply to one of the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) universities in India, decide to take the JEE or Joint Entrance Examination needed for admittance to undergrad programs. Usually, JEE tends to happen each year in April, and the outcomes arrive in December.
Top 5 Professional Courses: Study in India
Deciding the right course for the career is the most critical choice and can be disquieting if not guided properly. It is essential to comprehend and analyze your interests as well as alternatives available in that domain. Let us have a look at the Top 5 Popular Courses to study in India:
|2||Engineering B.Tech and B.Arch, M.Tech, ME, BE|
|4||Designing – Fashion/Interior/Web|
The details about the Management MBA/BBA program to study in India are mentioned below.
- Bachelor of Business Education (BBA) is a graduation degree course of 3 yeras in Management offered in India by many of the top colleges for BBA in India.
Engineering: B.Tech and B.Arch, M.Tech, ME, BE
The details about the various popular engineering programs to study in India are mentioned below.
- Students planning to study Engineering in India choose to select from nearly 100 specializations, with Computer Science Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering being some of the most popular ones.
- Most of the engineering institutes in India select candidates for admission based on their scores in entrance exams. Some technical institutes even accept AIR (All India Ranks) secured in national level exams, whereas some conduct their own entrance exam.
The details of various popular computer application courses to study in India are mentioned below.
- BCA + MCA is a five years integrated course which many institutes in India offer. The course is designed to prepare students to face the IT industry’s challenges through exceptional teaching and research-oriented programs.
- Candidates interested in developing a strong academic base in computer applications and their usage can pursue the BCA+ MCA course. The course helps students enhance and improve their creativity. It helps in making them more flexible and quick decision-makers.
Designing – Fashion/Interior/Web
The details of the popular designing courses to study in India are mentioned below.
- Fashion designing a popular course choice in India. If you have a natural flair for the latest fashion trends and enjoy designing unique apparel designs, then a career as a fashion designer is an apt choice for you.
- If you are passionate about creating designs that are original and extremely stylish, someone who loves watching Project Runway or enjoys reading Vogue, then, fashion designing is the perfect career choice for you.
The details of the popular mass communication courses to study in India are mentioned below.
- The expansion and increasing competition amongst the players in the media industry, along with the promising career in journalism and other various other avenues, have created considerable scope for journalism in India.
- This is one of the country’s sectors that attracts the young generation with its unique working style.
Study in India: Scholarships
Scholarships to study in India are granted by the government, private foundations, and host institutions. Scholarships for in India international students are:
- General Scholarship Scheme (GSS) for Foreign Students
- Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research (IGIDR) Scholarship
- KIIT University International Scholarship Program (KUISP)
- Indian School of Business (ISB) International Scholarships
- ITEC/SCAAP Government of India Fully Funded Scholarships
- Nalanda University Master Fellowship for Foreign Students
- SIU-ICCR Joint Scholarships for Developing Countries
We now come to the end of our blog Study in India. For any other information regarding study in India, you can visit the official site https://www.studyinindia.gov.in/ India is a land of beauty and great educational institutions. Studying here will improve your chances of having a successful career. Still, have questions regarding your plans to study in India? Book a session with Leverage Edu today and have your doubts cleared by our experts. Sign up for a free session today!