Medicine is one of the most interesting and diverse disciplines in the world. From anesthesiologists to venereologists, there is an array of specializations available for budding medical students and researchers to explore. One such specialization is Gynecology. A specialist that works on biological problems that females face, for example hormonal changes, is known as a gynaecologist. MD Gynaecology is a post-graduation course that has a duration of 3 years. This field offers you various job profiles that promise you a high salary.
This Blog Includes:
MD Gynaecology Overview
Doctorate of medicine in gynaecology is a three-year postgraduate course that students pursue after completion of their MBBS degree. Gynaecologists and obstetrics are specialists who deal with female reproductive organs and their related problems. Students after completion of MD gynaecology enable themselves self-employment opportunities. Nowadays students get attracted to this course because of the specialization and skill development this course offers. This course also has a great scope in India and abroad.
- If you want to pursue MD gynaecology you must have an MBBS degree with at least 50% marks.
- You must also have a prior internship/experience of a year.
- Depending on the colleges and universities, you may need to qualify for entrance exams conducted by reputed universities and colleges.
- You must be able to learn and grasp knowledge about Obstetrics and Gynecology involving female reproductive organs.
- Moreover, you must have good communication as well as interpersonal skills.
- You have to keep yourself up to date with the science field.
Also Read: Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology
Various entrance exams conducted all over India you need to qualify in order to pursue MD Gynaecology are as follows:
- PGIMER PG Medical entrance exam
- AIIMS PG Medical entrance exam
- CMC PG Vellore medical entrance exam
- NEET PG Medical entrance exam
There are common entrance exams conducted all over India, many universities and colleges conduct their own entrance exams.
|Semester 1||-Gametogenesis fertilization, implantation and early development of an embryo.
-Anatomical and Physiological changes in the female genital tract during pregnancy.
-Pharmacology of drugs used during pregnancy, Labour, Postpartum period.
-Development of placenta.
-Anatomy of the fetus, fetal growth & development, fetal physiology & circulation.
-Contraception / Family Planning/ Sterilization methods
|Semester 3||-Antepartum Hemorrhage
-PROM, PolyHydramnios, Oligo Hydramnios-Obstetrical Hemorrhage (includes Antenatal & postpartum)
-Hypertensive disorders of pregnancy
-Medical disorders in pregnancy
-Emergency Obstetric Care (Intensive Obstetrics)
-Antepartum & intrapartum fetal monitoring
|Semester 4||-Antepartum Hemorrhage
-Malpresentation & malposition of labour
-CPD & its management
-Complications of 3rd stage of labour
-Hypertensive disorders in pregnancy
-Normal and abnormal microbiology of genital tract & bacterial, viral & parasitic infections responsible
-For maternal-fetal & Gynae disorders
-Endocrinology related to reproduction
-Physiology of menstruation, ovulation, fertilization & menopause
|Semester 5||-Methods of contraception
-Fibroid uterus-Endocrine abnormalities, Menstrual abnormalities Amenorrhoea, PCOD,
-Hirsutism, Hyperprolactinemia, Thyroid disorders
-Laparoscopy & Hysteroscopy
-Ca Cervix-Ca Endometrium
|Semester 6||-Genital Fistula / Urinary Incontinence
-Colposcopy & vaginal and cervical cytology
-Endometrial Hyperplasia, DUB, Abnormal bleeding
-Endocrine abnormalities, Menstrual abnormalities Amenorrhoea, PCOD,
-Hirsutism, Hyperprolactinemia, Thyroid disorder
Top 10 Universities in the World for MD Gynaecology
|QS Ranking 2022||Name of the Institute|
|2||University of Oxford|
|3||University of Cambridge|
|5||Johns Hopkins University|
|7||University of California|
|8||University College London|
|10||Imperial College London|
Top 10 Universities in India for MD Gynaecology
|Name of the College||Fees (INR)|
|CMC Christian medical college||473,400|
|KMC Mangalore||58.50 Lakhs|
|St. Johns medical college||1,837,070|
|MS Ramaiah medical college||Depends upon the subjects|
|Armed forces medical college||Depends upon the subject|
|KPC medical college and hospital||Depends upon the subject|
|Maulana azad medical college||Depends upon the subject|
|Hamdard Institute of medical science and research||45,90,000|
Also Read: MD Pharmacology: Scope, Colleges, and Eligibility
Roles and Responsibility of a Gynaecologist
- Gynaecologists are responsible for the collection of medical information about the patients from their family members as well as about other medical professionals.
- Gynaecologists usually treat diseases related to reproductive organs.
- Moreover, they have a duty to care for and for treatment of women’s main problems they face such as prenatal, natal, and postnatal periods.
- They also prescribe/ administer medication, therapy, sometimes surgeries and also treat or prevent illness, disease, or injury.
- Gynaecologists are also responsible for surgeries for delivering babies safely.
Average Salary and Job Profiles
The average salary of a gynaecologist is ₹1,800,000 per year or approximately ₹923 per hour. The most popular job profiles that students pursue after completion of MD gynaecology are Obstetrician, Gynaecologist, consultant, lecturer, clinical Associate and General Physician.
|Job Profile||Average Salary|
|Clinical Associate||Rs. 6,75,554|
|General Physician||Rs. 4,31,077|
|Obstetrics/Gynecology (OB/GYN)||Rs. 19,00,000|
Gynaecologists are mainly responsible for the treatment of female reproductive organs and related diseases whereas obstetrics are the doctors who specialize in the birth of a child and related issues.
The doctor that earns the most is a surgeon and after that a dermatologist.
No, it is not possible to become a gynaecologist without an MBBS degree as it is required for every candidate to have an MBBS or an equivalent degree to pursue MD gynaecology.
Want to pursue MD Gynaecology abroad? Call our Leverage Edu experts on 1800 57 2000 for end-to-end assistance from application to Visa process for FREE 30-minutes counselling session today!