Skin, the essential organ that secures our body. It is the organ that binds our body and acts as an exterior shield. Apart from protecting us from foreign particles, the skin beautifies our body and also signals any disease or disturbance in it. Being conscious of the skin texture and condition is something very common among the masses of today. Whether it be freckles, acne, rashes, dark spots, or any other kind of skin-related problem, we all consult a specialist to fix it. The rise in various skin disorders, cosmetic procedures, and other treatments has increased the need for dermatologists, also known as Skin Doctors. Let us explore the essential layers of how to become a Skin Doctor through this blog.
This Blog Includes:
Who is a Skin Doctor?
Also known as Skincare specialists or Dermatologists, these are professional doctors who specialize in the treatment of disorders related to the skin and its companions- hair, nails, and mucous membranes. A Skin Doctor can cure an array of issues ranging from treating serious diseases like skin cancer, fungal infections, psoriasis to helping patients improve the appearance of the skin.
What does a Skin Doctor do?
The job of a skin doctor ranges from a number of tasks right from taking case histories to preparing treatment plans for patients. The following are a few duties that a skin doctor carries out.
- Dermatologists meet with patients, record their case histories, examine them, and analyze their core problems.
- Once the main disorder is assessed, dermatologists then discuss the diagnoses with them and then prepare a suitable treatment plan. The treatment could be a one-time prescription or medications for a period of time.
- In certain cases, skin doctors might also address and analyze concerns related to cosmetics like birthmarks, wrinkles, acne, scars, pigmentation, etc. These can be treated using Botox, skin grafting, laser treatments, etc. depending on the patient’s requirement and consent.
In certain treatments, after the following steps are completed, dermatologists then track the patient’s record for optimal results. They may call the patient for follow-up sessions to check and determine improvement.
How to become a Dermatologist/Skin Doctor?
The path toward becoming a successful Skin Doctor requires a lot of effort, but it is a rewarding career option. People who wish to become dermatologists must prepare for their goal right after the 12th. The following steps can help you know how to become a skin doctor after the 12th.
- You must pass your 12th in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology/ Biotechnology (PCB) with an aggregate of 50% from a recognized institution.
- You must possess a good NEET UG score.
- You must admit yourself for an MBBS degree and then an MS degree in dermatology.
For further, specializations, you will require an M.ch degree from an approved institution by the Medical Council of India. The subjects included in the specializations are cardiothoracic, plastic surgery, urology, etc.
Required Skills to Become a Skin Doctor
To become a skin specialist, one must possess certain skills in order to do justice to the field. Even though most of the skills can be developed over a period of time, after completing a degree in the field. Given below are some of the crucial skills for candidates who aspire to become successful skin doctors:
- The student should be passionate about his/her career as a dermatologist.
- The person must have the patience to study and treat the patients.
- The student must possess the skill of active Listening to treat people in the right way.
- The aspirant must possess the ability to work longer hours.
- The candidate needs to have good problem-solving skills, good eyesight, and agility to perform hand-related tasks in their training in a hospital or medical center on biopsy, skin surgery, etc.
- The aspirant must be good with subjects like English and toughest science subjects such as Physics, Chemistry, Pathology, Anatomy, Microbiology, and Biology.
Also Read: List of Top Microbiology Courses
Dermatologist Courses Without MBBS
The path toward becoming a successful Skin Doctor requires a lot of effort, but it is a rewarding career option. If you plan to become the same, it is important to select a program that will provide a base to meet your licensing requirements. Given below is a list of globally recognized Dermatology courses without MBBS:
- Diploma in Dermatology
- Diploma in Skin and Venereology and Dermatology
- Diploma in Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy
- Postgraduate Diploma in Venereology and Leprosy
- Post Graduate Diploma in Clinical Cosmetology
- BSc Dermatology
- MSc Dermatology
- PhD (Dermatology & Venerology)
- PhD (Dermatology)
- B.Sc in Clinical Dermatology
- Bachelor of Dermal Science
- M.Sc. in Skin Sciences and Regenerative Medicine
- MPhil/PhD in Dermatological Sciences
- PG Diploma in Practical Dermatology
- Diploma in Advanced Skin Studies and Clinical Aesthetics
- MSc. in Burn Case
Mostly the diploma and bachelor programs of dermatology take 3-4years, while PGD and masters program can be 1-2years long. Given below is a list of some of the important subjects that are usually taught in classes to become a Skin Doctor:
- Skin Biology and Common Disorders
- Clinical Practice
- Skin Systemic Disease, Hair, Nails and Oral Lesions
- Comprehensive Study Of Hair Removal And Ancillary Services
- Skin diseases in pregnancy, childhood, adolescence and old age
- Moles, Skin Cancers, Infections and Infestations
- Evaluation of pigmented lesions
- Actinic keratosis and squamous cell carcinoma
Top Universities to Become a Skin Doctor
There are various educational institutions that offer diplomas, bachelor’s and master’s programs in Dermatology, and skin-related courses. Given below is a list of one of the renowned universities across the world:
- University of South Wales, UK
- Cardiff University, UK
- South Thames College, UK
- University College Dublin, Ireland
- University of Nottingham, UK
- Boston University, United States
- Victoria University, Australia
- Australian Academy of Cosmetic Dermal Science, Australia
Indian Colleges for Dematology
- CMC Vellore – Christian Medical College
- KMC Mangalore – Kasturba Medical College
- St Johns Medical College, Bangalore
- AIIMS Delhi – All India Institute of Medical Sciences New
- KMC Manipal – Kasturba Medical College
- MS Ramaiah Medical College, Bangalore
- AFMC Pune – Armed Forces Medical College
- KPC Medical College and Hospital, Jadavpur
- Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi
Employment Sectors and Job Prospects
The demand for skin doctors in every corner of the world has increased the career opportunities for students pursuing a course in the very field. Studying a course in dermal sciences from leading and renowned universities from abroad has various benefits. Let’s look at some of the job profiles, which students can pursue after completion of the course:
- Skin Specialist
- Cosmetic Surgeon
- Dermatology Consultant
- Pediatric Dermatologists
- Tele Dermatologists
- Medical Representative
- Dermatology Professor
- Clinical Application Specialist
The initial average salary of a skin doctor is INR 10 Lakhs p.a. Further, with 5-10 years of experience and work, dermatologists can earn up to INR 15 Lakh-20 Lakhs. The salary of a highly professional and experienced dermatologist can also go up to INR 30 Lakhs to 40 Lakhs.
After completing your 12th class, After Class XII, you must complete 4-5 years of MBBS degree course followed by another 3 years to complete the master’s degree in Dermatology.
Yes, getting an MBBS degree is necessary for an undergraduate course to become a dermatologist.
The average cost to become a dermatologist in India is somewhere around 25 Lakhs INR [indicative] varying as per the course and university you choose.
You need a lot of determination and passion to pursue a successful career in dermatology. Along with that, you also need satisfactory scores in qualifying exams for an MBBS degree like NEET PG and JIPMER PG which are considered tough to pass.
We hope this blog convinced you to become a skin doctor! Do you know universities abroad offer Dermatologist courses with great exposure? If you are pondering upon the study abroad possibilities to pursue this course then let Leverage Edu be your helping hand. Our experts will resolve all your queries and help you build an awesome career!