Have you completed your MBBS and plan to study PG in Germany after MBBS? The bitter truth about pursuing MBBS in India is that less than 10% of those who apply for a PG course in India get enrolled in their desired field of specialization. Don’t worry, you still have an option! You can choose an alternative path of a PG in Germany after MBBS in India.
This Blog Includes:
- Why Pursue PG in Germany After MBBS in India?
- Pros of Pursuing PG in Germany After MBBS in India
- Courses Offered After MBBS
- Two Roadmaps to Reach Germany after MBBS
- Alternate Way to Study PG in Germany
- Eligibility to Study PG in Germany
- Top Universities for PG in Germany After MBBS
- MCI Approval for MD/ MS in Germany
- Cost of Studying in Germany
- German Work Visa and its Requirements
- Medical PG in Germany VS MD in the US
Why Pursue PG in Germany After MBBS in India?
As an Indian student planning to pursue a PG in the medical field, you have the opportunity of studying at no tuition fee when pursuing a PG in Germany after MBBS. Along with low tuition fees, you can study at prestigious and renowned universities. The residential programs provided in the medical universities in Germany give the students robust training and practical knowledge. The rigorous training will equip you with high-quality experience and knowledge.
Pros of Pursuing PG in Germany After MBBS in India
There are certain advantages to pursuing a PG in Germany after MBBS in India. These include-
- Germany is known to have a world-class healthcare system which means that you will have the opportunity of training in modern infrastructure with advanced equipment.
- There are no tuition fees for most courses in Germany, which means the cost of education is next to zero.
- The PG courses in Germany include on-the-job training in which the hospital sanctions an approval for you to conduct medical operations.
- The universities also provide students with a monthly stipend that can be up to 4500 euros(INR 3,84,761)monthly.
- After the completion of your training, you will be awarded the title of a “Facharzt” (specialist or a consultant), your chances of getting a Permanent German Residency are also increased.
Courses Offered After MBBS
There are several options that you can choose from, after applying for courses after MBBS in Germany. Some of them include:
- Rural Health Care
- Community Health Care
- Hearing Language and Speech
- Medical Record Technology
- Medical Radio-Diagnosis
- Cardiac Pulmonary Perfusion
- OT Technician
- Clinical Research
- Dermatology, Venereology, and Leprosy
- Operation Theatre Technology
- Medical Lab Technology
- Medical Imaging Technology
- Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Child Health
- Child Health
Must Read: Courses after MBBS that you MUST consider!
Two Roadmaps to Reach Germany after MBBS
The road to pursuing courses after MBBS in Germany is easy if you have already done your MBBS from Germany. But if you haven’t, you can follow this plan to get admission in a PG course after MBBS in Germany:
- You need to take out at least six-seven months before going to Germany as there are many requirements for the country.
- You must clear A1 and A2 Level of German language
- Get an admission letter from a government-approved test for TELC B2 and TELC C1. Normal B2 and C1 standards are not accepted
- Learn German up to C1 Level.
- Get an Observer-ship from a German hospital approved for your PG in Germany. This should be given by the German Medical Council.
- Usually, the observer-ship is for 1 month but it can be extended to 6 months in some cases.
- Go through the ‘Approbation system’ by getting yourself registered to a German Medical Practitioner.
- You have to manage your own residency till your approbation application is approved.
Know more about: Language courses in Germany
Alternate Way to Study PG in Germany
There is one way to reach Germany for PG after MBBS. In this procedure, instead of going from TELC B1 to TELC C1 level, you can take admission in a 1 year Master’s program in Healthcare. During this procedure, you can study the German language up to TELC C1 level. This procedure will improve your profile for any PG course as you already have more qualifications than others who apply for PG in Germany.
Must Read: Cost of Studying in Germany
Eligibility to Study PG in Germany
The following are some of the requirements for admission to a German university’s postgraduate program:
- You must have graduated from an Indian university or passed the MCI screening test.
- MBBS degrees from other countries are usually regarded as equivalent to German MBBS degrees.
- Check with the university you’re applying to see whether you’re eligible.
- Excellent written and vocal English skills
- An MBBS degree from a university with above-average outcomes
To study PG in Germany, you need to have the following documents:
- Marksheet of Class 10th and 12th
- Birth Certificate
- Flight Tickets
- Payment to National Centre Account
- Copy of Passport translated in the German language
- Copy of Certificates translated in the German language
- Passport-sized photos
- Offer Letter from a German PG University
- Medical reports on vaccination and clarity on any virus
- Bank statements for proof of funds
- Scholarship details, if any
Top Universities for PG in Germany After MBBS
Some of the top universities for pursuing an MS or MD in Germany for international students include-
- RWTH Aachen University
- FU Berlin
- University of Hamburg
- University of Bonn
- Würzburg University
- Witten/Hercke University
- Magdeburg University
- Leipzig University
- Münster University
- Heidelberg University
- Tüebingen University
- Lübeck University
- Freiburg University
MCI Approval for MD/ MS in Germany
Completing PG in Germany after MBBS will not only allow you to practice medicine in Germany but also in India. Medical Council of India has approved a list of German universities and candidates seeking PG degrees in medicine from them stand eligible to continue or start their practice of medicine in India. If your ultimate goal is to practice in the Indian borders with a German degree, you can choose to pursue your masters in the below listed MCI approved universities-
- Magdeburg University
- Heidelberg University
- Munster University
- Lubeck University
- Rwth Aachen University
- Tuebingen University
- Wurzburg University
- Witten/ Herdecke University
- Freiburg University
Cost of Studying in Germany
As almost 16 state universities in the country have exempted students from giving any tuition fee, one only needs to pay minimal administration and miscellaneous charges to study in Germany. If you choose a private university to study in Germany as the eligibility criteria of public institutions are quite complex and demanding, the average tuition fees can somewhere fall around 30,90,000 INR for postgraduate courses.
Other costs can include:
|Description||Cost (Per Month)|
|Medical Insurance||6200 INR|
Also Refer: Scholarships for studying in Germany
German Work Visa and its Requirements
Once the Indian candidates have completed one year Master’s program in Germany, they are eligible for seeking a work search permit with a visa extension for 18 months. All the candidates who complete post-graduate level degrees like MHM or MIB can avail this opportunity under their immigration policies. To receive the German medical license by the authorities, candidates will have to submit the approbation application along with the mark sheet of qualifying the above-stated level of language exam.
Based on the candidate’s performance in a personal interview along with the letter of recommendation received from the hospital where the candidates pursued their internship, the official authorities can pursue the residency for a minimum period of 3 years under a German hospital. The field in which the candidate has specialized plays an important role in determining the duration of the residency. After completing the residency period, you can seek an MD degree authorized by the German Medical Council.
Must Read: MBBS in Germany
Medical PG in Germany VS MD in the US
Here are some of the differences between Medical PG in Germany and MD in the US.
|Criteria||MD in the US||Medical PG in Germany|
|Duration||4-6 years||1- 2 years|
|Eligibility||MCAT||1. No Exam for PG2. Testdaf for German Proficiency|
|Cost of the Course||36,56,525 INR-54,84,787 INR||0 Tuition Fees in Public UniversitiesINR 25,00,000 per annum for Private Universities|
|Top Universities||Harvard University, Yale University, Stanford University||Magdeburg University, Heidelberg University, Munster University, Lubeck University|
|Average Package||INR 1,37,03,000- INR 1,85,70,000||INR 55,00,000- INR 1,00,000|
Also Read: Ireland VS Germany
All students at German institutions get world-class facilities and instruction. Yes, enrolling in PG at German College will be one of the finest decisions you will ever make.
If you pass the MCI screening test after completing your PG course, you can practice in India. Following the completion of the MBBS program, the MCI screening test is administered.
In Germany, PG takes three to four years to complete, depending on specialty.
If you plan to settle in Germany after completing your PG, you have to take a work visa till you get your citizenship in the country. On average, PG doctors in Germany earn anywhere from INR 55,00,000 per annum to INR 1,00,00,000 per annum.
When you apply for PG in Germany, you need to know that all the courses are taught in the German language. This is mainly the reason why you need to have C1 level German proficiency.
The admissions process may be taxing, especially when you must plan ahead of time. The language proficiency part may appear difficult and frightening, but you do not need to be concerned. You should not pass up the opportunity to pursue a PG in Germany after completing your MBBS. With their knowledge, the mentors and counselors at Leverage Edu can help you make the best option possible to reach your goals.