When considering study-abroad destinations, Italy presents itself as one of the strongest contenders. This is because it has the oldest established universities, especially in the field of medicine. Students are opting for MBBS in Italy due to the availability of world-class education against the picturesque backdrop of Italy. It takes around 6 years to graduate with an MBBS in Italy. The students are encouraged to engage in self-learning as part of the programs offered, to promote their analytical thinking and understanding abilities. Classroom discussions are also a part of the curriculum. Each course is taught with a different approach and a lot of care is taken to maintain the high standards of education in Italy.
|Month of Admission||August – September|
|Currency||Italian Lira, Euro|
|Minimum Percentage||50% in PCB Class XII|
|Medium of Teaching||English|
|Population||6.04 crores (2019)|
|Area||301338 Square Kilometers|
This Blog Includes:
- Overview of MBBS in Italy
- Why Study MBBS in Italy?
- Advantages of MBBS in Italy
- MBBS In Italy Vs MBBS In India
- MBBS in Italy: Syllabus
- MBBS in Italy: Admission Procedure 2023
- Top Universities for MBBS in Italy
- Eligibility for MBBS in Italy
- MBBS in Italy: Documents Required
- Types of Visas
- MBBS in Italy: Cost of Living
- MBBS in Italy: Top Medical Universities
- Accreditation and Recognition
- Scholarship Offered To Students For Mbbs In Italy.
Overview of MBBS in Italy
Studying MBBS in Italy is comparatively cheaper compared to other European countries. The universities also offer you the chance of interning as well as work right after college, as soon as you receive your work permit. Scoring a high percentage on the entrance test for MBBS in Italy can also land you scholarships on both tuition fees and living costs. Private universities may be slightly on the expensive end but the quality of education makes it worth the cost. Courses part of MBBS in Italy, follow the international study pattern.
The first semester starts around September or October and completes its run around January or February. Each semester lasts for about 20 weeks, including a 6-week examination period. Some of the colleges and universities also provide post-graduate programs to those willing to continue their education and research, which makes an MBBS in Italy a great option.
Why Study MBBS in Italy?
Italy is a comparatively cheaper place to study MBBS than other European countries. When you have your work permit, the institutions also provide you with the option of interning and working just after classes. Successfully passing the admission exam for the MBBS program in Italy can also help you qualify for scholarships that cover both your living and tuition costs. Even though private institutions might be pricey, education is an investment that is worthwhile. The MBBS courses in Italy follow the global examination format.
- Due to superbly prepared multi-profile medical clinics, there is a wide range of potential results and thorough openness to medical practice.
- It is not necessary to make a contribution to get admitted to Italian MBBS universities.
- The cost of education is extremely cheap to moderate.
- Italian medical schools were acknowledged by prestigious organizations like WHO and MCI.
- Additionally, the normal price for necessities for students is low.
- The MBBS programs in Italy are taught using an English-based curriculum.
- The amenities at hostels are nice and adequate for a student’s comfort.
- Italian medical schools provide excellent academics, much like sports.
Advantages of MBBS in Italy
- Inexpensive: In comparison to other countries, the cost of education is also lower. For students who need to study medicine in Italy, this makes a good justification.
- Widely acclaimed University: Italy is home to several venerable, historically significant, and exceptional-in-innovation universities.
- Scholarship Opportunities: Each year, Italy offers a variety of free educational expense exemptions to foreign students who want to study medicine in Italy through scholarships.
- Simple Admission Process: The application procedure to enter MBBS institutions in Italy is straightforward. As experts in foreign immigration regulations, they provide assistance to students who are applying.
- Simple Transportation: Students may surely help with Italy’s particular transportation agencies, which are closely related. It is easy to travel because they have cabs, cable cars, buses, and other means of transportation.
- Study in English: Since English is the language of instruction in most Italian colleges, studying MBBS there is a respectable alternative for Indian students.
- World Recognized Degree: UNESCO, WHO, MCI, European Council, and other reputable organizations acknowledge the value of an Italian college’s MBBS degree on a global scale. Subsequently, it became a mainstream decision among understudies to examine MBBS in Italy.Unrivaled infrastructure: Italian universities provide students with cutting-edge technology and excellent facilities.
MBBS In Italy Vs MBBS In India
|Basis||MBBS in Italy||MBBS in India|
|Entrance Test||IMAT is required||To qualify for NEET with a decent percentage and cutoff, you must have a good grade in 12th grade.|
|Degree||Medical graduates studying in Italian universities receive an MD degree, which is equal to the MBBS degree in India.||In India, medical school graduates who successfully finish the MBBS program are given the MBBS degree.|
|Course Duration||In Italy, the MBBS program lasts six years.||In India, the MBBS program lasts 5.5 years (4.5 years of academic study plus a year of internship).|
|Exposure||Both you and the students benefit from increased global exposure and career chances.||Students have little possibility for growth and minimal exposure to other cultures.|
MBBS in Italy: Syllabus
|Year of Study||Syllabus|
|1st Year||Histology and Anatomy|
|2nd Year||Physiology, Histology, Biochemistry, Anatomy, Microbiology|
|3rd Year||Path Physiology, Microbiology, Pathology, Pharmacology|
|4th to 6th Year||Cardiology, Oncology, Internal Medicine, Psychology, Neurology, Gynecology, General Surgery, Pediatrics, Emergency Medicine, ENT|
MBBS in Italy: Admission Procedure 2023
The admission procedure in universities in Italy is simple and uncomplicated. The procedure for MBBS in Italy is listed below for your reference.
- Fill out and complete the application form on the university website
- Submit all your original documents and apply for the course of your choice
- Your application will be processed and reviewed by the university
- Upon getting the offer letter from the university of your choice, get a printout of it
- The fees for the processing of the application have to be paid
- Upon getting the confirmation of getting admission to the MBBS course, immediately apply for your student visa
- Notify your university about the date of your arrival in Italy
Here is the list of top scholarships in Italy for Indian Students
Top Universities for MBBS in Italy
There are numerous medical institutions in Italy that offer MBBS programs to students across the globe. Medical universities in Italy are affiliated with the Ministry of Education, Italy, the Medical Council of India (MCI), the World Federation for Medical Education (WFME), the World Health Organization (WHO), The Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research (FAIMER) and Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) and thus provide globally accepted MBBS degrees. Here is a list of major universities offering MBBS in Italy:
- Humanitas University
- University of Pisa (UNIPI)
- University of Turin
- University of Florence
- University of Studies, Udine
- University of Milan
- Biomedical University of Rome
- University of Bari
- University of Bologna
Also referred to as Hunimed, Humanitas University is located in the city of Milano and is amongst the major medical science institutions offering MBBS in Italy. From the 6-year Bachelor of Medicine, and Bachelor of Surgery, to post-graduate degrees like MDs as well as advanced training programmes and doctoral courses, the university provides a wide range of programs in the field of Life Sciences. Medical students are provided specialised clinical training at Humanitas hospital which comprises over 400 doctors and research scholars and 22 hi-tech laboratories and state-of-the-art medical facilities.
University of Pisa
Founded in 1343, the University of Pisa is a public university constituting twenty departments along with high-level research centres working in the field of Computer Science, Medicine, Engineering, Astrophysics, Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine. It is amongst the top universities for MBBS in Italy because of the excellent academic and research opportunities for those wanting to study medicine. Having been associated with the Pisan Institutes of the National Board of Research, the institution has close relations with the cultural organisations of national and international importance along with IT industries in the country.
University of Turin
As one of the oldest and most prestigious Italian academic institutions, the University of Turin (UNITO) is home to 74,000 students and offers a plethora of degree and diploma programs in all disciplines, except Engineering and Architecture. The university offers MBBS as a 6-year programme which is designed with an interdisciplinary curriculum coupled with rigorous clinical training at health centres, hospitals and emergency departments. Moreover, the university has its research centres established in the field of Medical Diagnostic, Biosensoristics and Nanotechnologies providing students with plentiful opportunities to explore the domain of research and development.
University of Florence
Initially set up as a Studium Generale (medieval university) in 1321, the University of Florence is another renowned academic and research institution offering MBBS in Italy. It gained the status of an imperial university in 1364 and provides an array of courses in diverse fields of study such as Agriculture, Education, Arts, Medicine and Surgery, Economics, Pharmacy, Political Science, and Law, amongst others.
University of Studies, Udine
Università Degli Studi di Udine (University of Udine) was founded in 1978 as a public higher education institution. It is home to a total of ten faculties spread across the disciplines of Agriculture, Law, Educational Sciences, Medicine and Surgery, Physical and Natural Sciences, Modern Languages, Engineering, Economics, Veterinary Medicine and Mathematics. Amongst the major medical institutions offering MBBS in Italy, the University of Studies, Udine also provides varied student and staff exchange projects with the EU university and presently has strong relations with numerous academic institutions from Eastern Europe and other non-EU countries.
University of Milan
The University of Milan is one of the only universities in Italy that is a part of the distinguished League of European Research Universities. The university credits itself as being Lombardy’s largest university with over 65,900 students and is one of the most famous universities in Italy. Founded in 1924, this university claims to be culturally rich and provides a good study environment for students from across the world. With 8 different departments of medicine and over 600 professors, the university provides quality as well as advanced medical training and is one of the best on the list of colleges for MBBS in Italy.
Biomedical University of Rome
A private institution founded in 1991, the Biomedical University of Rome offers courses in the medical field to over 1600 students globally for MBBS in Italy. The course lasts for about 6 years and students are trained in various fields like oncology, medicine, immunology, orthopaedics, etc. The university provides ample facilities for studying, but most importantly for research purposes.
University of Bari
Situated in Apulia, Southern Italy, The medical program offered in this university is structured to provide self-studying sessions, distance learning and the opportunity to interact with other foreign professors for better understanding. The University of Bari provides a plethora of undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral programs to students around the world. With world-class facilities, this university is one to be considered.
University of Bologna
This university situated in Bologna, Italy was established around the 11th century. It is one of the oldest universities to be featured on this list of colleges for MBBS in Italy. This university boasts of training students to become able and competent doctors in the basic fields of medicine. They are also taught well enough to continue studying and research in their chosen field of specialization.
Also Read: Top Universities in Italy
Eligibility for MBBS in Italy
For getting admitted to colleges for MBBS in Italy, you need to score a minimum of 50% in physics, chemistry, and biology and NEET score not less than 50%. Since the courses for MBBS in Italy are taught in English, you will have to appear for IELTS or TOEFL to prove your fluency in the English language.
MBBS in Italy: Documents Required
The documents required for applying for an MBBS in Italy are listed below as a checklist for your reference.
- Birth Certificate
- 10th Marksheet
- 12th Marksheet
- Photocopy of Invitation Letter
- 5 passport size photographs
- Photocopy of Passport
- Report of COVID test
- Bank receipt
- Statement of Purpose (has to be attested by a governing body)
Types of Visas
There are two types of visa to study MBBS in Italy. They are mentioned below.
- Type C Visa – This is a short-term visa that is for a period of 90 days
- Type D Visa – This is a long-term visa that is valid for a period of more than 90 days
MBBS in Italy: Cost of Living
The cost of studying in Italy for medical students will be economical as compared to other study-abroad destinations. Tabulated below is an estimate of your expenditure on living in Italy-
|Categories||Cost in USD||Cost in INR|
MBBS in Italy: Top Medical Universities
|University Name||Fees in INR||MCI Status|
|University of Studies, Udine||INR 7- 8 lakhs||Approved|
|University of Pisa||INR 4 – 5 lakhs||Approved|
|University of Turin||INR 5 – 6 lakhs||Approved|
|University Di Firenze||INR 4 – 6 lakhs||Approved|
|Humanities University||INR 4 – 6 lakhs||Approved|
Accreditation and Recognition
The above-mentioned medical universities in Italy are recognized by several governing bodies that it certified medical institutions. Mentioned below are some of the renowned ones-
- Ministry of Education, Italy
- National Medical Commission
- Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates
- World Federation for Medical Education
- World Health Organisation
Scholarship Offered To Students For Mbbs In Italy.
The service of international issues and global engagement, run by the Italian public authority in collaboration with the public authorities of other nations, including India, offers Italian government scholarships.Students from India can also enrol for the MBBS programme in Italy at Italian educational institutions to benefit from the scholarship’s benefits.
The Italian government offers high-scoring students a full subsidy for their tuition costs. In addition to living expenses, which may cost up to 550+ Euros per month, the average cost of attending school in Italy is about 1200+ Euros per year.
Students from India may also apply for the award. The admissions process at Saint Petersburg Pediatric Medical University is quite simple. Candidates who are applying to the MBBS program should keep in mind the supporting centres.
You may also read:
- MBBS in Australia
- MBBS in Russia
- MBBS in Ukraine
- MBBS in Canada
- MBBS in the Philippines
- MBBS in Georgia
- MBBS in the Caribbean
- MBBS in Germany
- MBBS in China
- MBBS in Kyrgyzstan
- MBBS in Nepal
- MBBS in Belarus
Possessing a tremendous education followed by the leading academic institutions, Italy has shone out to be an ideal destination for pursuing MBBS and other academic courses.
Your tuition fee for MBBS in Italy can be zero if you manage to fetch a scholarship that covers your 100% tuition fee charges.
The per-year tuition charges for MBBS in Italy range between 600-1200 Euros (52,000- 1,50,000).
If you opt to pursue MBBS in Italy in English, then, you will have to qualify for IELTS or TOEFL.
While we have given you all the information regarding MBBS in Italy, the decision of choosing a country to pursue your higher education is grave. It is obvious for you to have more doubts and queries. If you need further information or guidance on how to get into the top colleges of Italy for MBBS, Leverage Edu is ready to hold your hand throughout the journey. Call us today at +91-8826200293 to get a head start in comparison to your peers.