Curious about how computers work? Have you ever thought about how the websites of your interest are popping on google? You might also be thinking about how these websites are designed? Then, you must consider pursuing a course in Information Technology. If you are looking for short-term programs in this field, then the Diploma in IT is the right one for you. It is a best-suited program for high school graduates interested in exploring the vast arena of IT and understanding the intricacies of computing technologies, computer programming, and much more. This blog brings you a comprehensive guide on Diploma in IT course, its eligibility criteria, top universities, and career scope.
This Blog Includes:
- What is a Diploma in Information Technology?
- Subjects under Diploma in IT
- Eligibility Criteria
- Top Universities Offering Diploma Courses in Information Technology
- Top Colleges in India for Diploma in Information Technology
- Admission Process
- Skills Required
- Scope of Diploma in Information Technology
- Career Options & Average Salary
- Diploma in Information Technology: Top Recruiting Companies
|Degree Name||Information Technology|
|Degree Duration||6-12 months|
|Eligibility Criteria||Class 10th or 12th|
|Admission process||Entrance-Exam/ Merit-based|
|Fees||Rs. 20,000 to Rs. 2,00,000|
|Average Salary||Rs. 2 Lakhs to Rs 6 Lakhs per annum|
|Top recruiters||TCS, Wipro, Tech Mahindra, Vodafone, TATA, Infotech, Infosys ASUS, Cisco Systems, National Instruments, etc.|
Also Read: Game Designing Courses After 12th
What is a Diploma in Information Technology?
A diploma in IT is commonly offered as a 1-3 year course which focuses on exploring IT technologies, their applications, computer systems, IT engineering, and much more. As the Information Technology industry is ever-evolving, its applications are widespread across different industries from business and management to health sciences. In simple terms, Information Technology (IT) is referred to as the utilization of PCs that can store, recover, communicate and share information. The data can be related to a business or other zone of the market. A few businesses combine and work closely in the field of IT, for example, PC hardware, programming, web, telecom hardware, gadgets, semiconductors, and web-based business. A diploma (IT) course encompasses an array of foundational concepts such as digital electronics, state of matter, applied physics, RDBMS, and applications of java programming.
Subjects under Diploma in IT
While studying for a diploma in IT, you will get to learn about the intricacies of information technology, its applications, computing technologies, applied mathematics, digital and electronic engineering, to name a few. These subjects are varying and emphasize multiple specializations. Each semester is carefully designed to ensure the student has the scope to study a large number of core and elective papers. Let’s take a look at the major subjects covered in this course.
- English and communication skills
- Applied physics
- Applied mathematics
- Applied chemistry
- Engineering Drawing I
- Basics of information technology
- Digital electronics
- System analysis and design
- Computer programming using C
- Multimedia and applications
- Ecology and environmental awareness
- Computer Workshops
Universities offering a diploma in IT specify certain eligibility criteria that students have to meet to be able to enrol in the program. These criteria are standardized and assess the ability of the individual to undertake a rigorous diploma course. For prospective students, being aware of these prerequisites is imperative to help them through the admission process. Enlisted below are some of the major criteria that a student has to meet to be eligible to undertake a degree in the diploma course.
- The minimum eligibility to apply for a diploma in IT is that the student must have completed 10+2 in any stream with the required percentage specified by their chosen university.
- For students wishing to study this diploma course abroad, it is mandatory to undertake an English proficiency test like IELTS, TOEFL etc. and you might also be required to provide SAT scores by some academic institutions. Universities abroad also evaluate the profile of the student which constitutes the SOP, LORs and extra-curricular achievements of the student.
Top Universities Offering Diploma Courses in Information Technology
There are various universities around the world that provide a Diploma in IT and its course variants. Pursuing a specialized diploma abroad can help attain international exposure and further establish your career in the global IT industry. Some of the renowned universities offering a diploma in IT are tabulated below.
|Monash University||Diploma in Engineering (IT)|
|Nelson Marlborough Institute of technology||New Zealand Diploma in Information Technology|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University||Diploma in Computer Information System|
|Centennial College||Health Informatics Technology|
|Algonquin College||Computer System Technician|
|European Business University||Blockchain Diploma|
|Manhattan Studies Institute||Introduction to the Internet of Things|
|University of Canberra||Diploma in Information Technology|
|Swinburne University of Technology||Diploma of Information Technology Networking|
|University of Technology Sydney||Information Technology Professional Practice|
|University of Western Sydney||Information and Communication Technology|
|University of Highlands and Islands||Administration and Information Technology|
|Federation University, Australia||Information Technology in Business|
Top Colleges in India for Diploma in Information Technology
The principle of information technology is all around us. Students are most interested in pursuing a profession in information technology. There are several colleges in India that are providing diplomas in Information Technology to the students. The following are some of the best colleges for an IT diploma:
- The Maharaja Sayajirao University, Baroda
- Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
- NIMS University, Jaipur
- PSG Polytechnic College, Coimbatore
- Ambedkar Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Thapar Polytechnic College, Patiala
- Government Polytechnic, Aurangabad
- YBN University, Ranchi
- MAEER’s MIT Polytechnic, Pune
- LJ Polytechnic, Ahmedabad
Top Diploma in IT Colleges in Delhi NCR
- Ambedkar Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Integrated Institute of Technology, Dwarka
- Aditya Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Rajokari Institute of Technology, Delhi
Top Diploma in IT Colleges in Bangalore
- MS Ramaiah Polytechnic
- Hindustan Electronics Academy
- The Oxford Polytechnic
- PVP Polytechnic
- Dayananda Sagar Institute of Technology
- SJES Polytechnic
Top Diploma in IT Colleges in Pune
- Government Polytechnic
- Jayawantrao Sawant Polytechnic
- All India Shri Shivaji Memorial Society’s Polytechnic
- Nutan Maharashtra Vidya Polytechnic
- MAEER’s MIT Polytechnic
Top Diploma in IT Colleges in Ahemedabad
- Government Polytechnic
- Government Polytechnic For Girls
- RC Technical Institute
- Aditya Silver Oak Institute of Technology
- Swaminarayan College of Engineering and Technology
For getting admitted into a diploma course in the field of Information and Technology, the aspirants are required to attempt either merit or entrance exams. Few admissions are also conducted through the direct process or entrance exam-based process. Here is a basic process that students have to follow in order to apply for a Diploma IT course.
- Various entrance exams are conducted by the colleges to get admissions in the particular course. Students need to appear for the entrance exam for which they wish to enter.
- Students who qualify for the entrance exam will be offered admission to the course in their preferred college.
To pursue a Diploma in Information Technology, a student must have abilities that will motivate them to study and comprehend the subject more thoroughly. They must be technologically savvy, innovative, accurate, and adaptable when it comes to embracing new technology. Students must also have the necessary abilities to work in a demanding setting. Some of the most significant abilities are:
- Tech savvy
- Analytical skills
- Communicational skills
- Creative mindset
- Computer language and coding
- Problem solving
- Decision making skills
Scope of Diploma in Information Technology
After finishing the IT Diploma program, students can continue their education by pursuing a Postgraduate or PhD degree. It will improve their language abilities and offer them additional information. Graduates are qualified to work in both the public and private sectors.
- PG Diploma/MBA/Master’s: If a student wishes to continue in the same field of study, the second programme of option is a PGDM. It is a two-year programme with qualifying requirements such as a Diploma Degree in relevant fields.
- PhD: Candidates who wish to teach can obtain a PhD after finishing their undergraduate studies. It is a three to five-year programme with qualifying requirements such as a Diploma Degree in relevant fields.
Career Options & Average Salary
Students who complete the Diploma degree will have a multitude of employment choices. Students can obtain employment in both commercial and public sector organizations. The field of information technology is broad. They can work as Diploma Engineers, Mainframe Developers, Information Systems Developers, Solution Architects, and other positions. Below are the various career options after completing an IT diploma:
- Photoshop Designer
- IT Engineer
- Diploma Engineer
- Mainframe Developer
- Information Systems Developer
- Quality Inspector
- Solution Architect
- Junior Technology Engineer
- Junior Java Programmer
- Computer Network Professional
- Software Developer
- Technical Engineer
- IT Programmer
Students who seek a diploma in Information Technology have a wide range of employment choices available to them all around the world. Over the previous decade, there has been an increase in the need for developers and programmers. The yearly salary is determined by experience, abilities, knowledge, and education. An IT professional’s average pay is about INR 2-5 lakhs.
|Level of Experience||Estimated Average Salary (per annum)|
|0 – 1 year||INR 3,50,000 – INR 4,50,000|
|1 – 3 years||INR 4,70,000 – INR 5,60,000|
|Above 5 years||INR 6,00,000 – INR 7,00,000|
Diploma in Information Technology: Top Recruiting Companies
Enlisted below are some of the top recruiting companies from where you can gain work experience after successfully completing your diploma in Information Technology:
- BSNL & Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd.
- ASUS & Cisco Systems
- BoeingColleges & Universities
- Qualcomm & Tata Elixi
- Sasken Communications
- Tech Mahindra
- HCL Infotech
- Cisco Systems
- National Instruments
- Tata Elxsi
A diploma in Information technology is a one- or three-year program that focuses on IT technology, applications, computers, IT engineering, and other topics.
The training curriculum promotes students’ accomplishments and prepares them to assist businesses by offering technical support. The course is primarily concerned with data storage, transmission, and retrieval. Students who follow this degree will get exposure and develop a career in the IT industry. If they seek a diploma overseas, they will get worldwide exposure, which will help them find high-paying jobs in the sector.
Some of the top entrance exams are AP POLYCET, HP PAT, APJEE, TS POLYCET, and others.
Some of the best jobs after pursuing a Diploma in IT are IT program, IT specialist, IT programmer, technical consultant, web developer, amongst others.
The top skills for Diploma in IT are communication skills, problem-solving, tech-savvy, analytical skills, and many more.
Hence, we hope that this blog helped you explore the essentials of a diploma in IT. Are you aspiring to apply for a diploma course at a globally accredited university? Our Leverage Edu mentors are here to assist you in finding the right course and university and further guide you through the admission process to ensure that you send a winning application! Sign up for a free career counselling session today!