Video games have become an important part of the fabric of socially and economically modern society. The gaming industry in the world is flourishing, with an increase in the number of students turning their passion for video games into a career in gaming. With the tremendous growth in the entertainment industry of the world, various universities and colleges are offering exceptional career prospects for international students to identify their potential skills and creativity in game designing. In this blog you will get a better understanding of the concept of game design, it’s academic nature and what the major game designing courses after 12th are. So, let the games begin!
This Blog Includes:
- What is Game Designing?
- What can I do after 12th to Become a Game Designer?
- Career in Gaming
- Is Gaming a Good Career?
- How to Become a Video Game Designer!
- Game Designing Colleges in Abroad
- Colleges in India
- Career Scope
- Average Salary in Gaming
- Top Gaming Companies
What is Game Designing?
Before you dive into a list of game designing courses after 12th, it is important to understand what exactly is game design. Game design is the art of planning and creating video games for entertainment, educational or experimental purposes. With a love for video games, creativity, strong visualisation, and technical programming skills, game designers focus on system design, level design and narration within the game.
What qualifications do I need to be a game designer?
There is no specific educational qualification set for a game designer though a diploma or a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science Engineering or Game Designing can familiarize you with the technical basics and skills you need to thrive in this industry.
What can I do after 12th to Become a Game Designer?
To become a Game Designer after 12th, you can pursue diploma or certificate courses in Gaming or a full-fledged degree in this specialisation. Here are the top diploma/certificate and degree courses in Gaming:
Diploma/Certificate Courses in Game Designing After 10th or 12th in India
- Certificate in Gaming
- Certificate course in Game Art & Design
- Diploma in Game Design
- Diploma in Game Design and Integration
- Diploma in Game Programming
- Diploma in Game Development
- Diploma in Production Gaming
- Diploma in Animation and Special Effect
- Advance Diploma in Game Programming
- Advanced Diploma in 3D Game Content Creation
How to Become a Game Developer after 10th?
You can pursue a diploma or certificate in Game Design/Programming/Production/Animation, etc. to become an entry-level game developer after 10th.
Bachelor’s Courses in Game Designing After 12th
- B.Sc. in Gaming
- BSc Animation & Gaming
- B.Sc. in Graphics, Animation & Gaming
- B.Sc. in Animation Game Design and Development
- Bachelors in Media Animation & Design (BMAD)
- BA in Animation & Computer Graphics
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Game Design
- BA (Hons) Computer Games Design
- BTech in Computer Science and Game Development
- Bachelor of Information Technology/Art – User Experience Design
Master’s Courses in Game Designing and Development
- MSc in Gaming
- MSc in Game Design and Development
- MSc in Multimedia and Animation
- Master in Computer Graphics and Virtual Reality
- Integrated M.Sc. in Multimedia & Animation with Game Art & Design
The average course fees of these Game Designing courses in India is around 1-7 Lakhs and in abroad is around 3-4 Lakhs varying as per the program and university.
Career in Gaming
Many students after 12th aspire to pursue a career in Gaming especially if they love playing video and online games and are also interested in learning game design, animation, visual effects and so on. Building a career in Gaming is more about having a passion for games and creativity to innovate new ideas and concepts into engaging games rather than having an educational qualification. Basically, you would need a conceptual knowledge of coding, programming, animation, visual design and storytelling to create an amazing game!
Let’s take a look at the top careers in Gaming that you can pursue after 10th or 12th:
- Game Animators conceptualise, design and create incredible graphics, characters and engaging animated environments for games.
- Game Artists create 2D and 3D visual arts for games, from simple objects and places to highly animated characters.
- Game Designers oversee everything from the narrative and story of a game to its characters, levels, design, conceptualisation to storylines.
- Game Producers plan, coordinate and produce the whole game, oversee its budget, investment, licensing and everything else.
- Game Writers craft the storyline, characters, their evolution, conceptualisation to the overall dialogues and writing aspects of a game.
- Game Testers ensure that the game is ready to be released as they test its every function from playing the whole game, to checking any loopholes in the UX/UI or any errors.
- Audio Engineers curate the audio aspects of a game for a user to experience, this includes the main audio theme, background effects, voice-overs, ambience and so on.
- Creative Directors work on the overall creative and aesthetics of a game and make sure that it’s innovative and engaging for the target audience.
Is Gaming a Good Career?
A career in the gaming industry can be both lucrative and rewarding. Below is a list of reasons why you should gaming is emerging as the most popular career:
- Video game developers, designers and artists are essentially in demand with the increased popularity of video games.
- Smartphones, PlayStations, computers, and tablets are expanding the feasibility of playing video games.
- The gaming industry has taken the world by storm, catering to some of the most creative and gripping employment opportunities worldwide.
- There is a gamut of disciplines from planning to coding and level design for students with a huge potential in the field of game designing.
- Game designers, programmers, and developers have a scope of earning a higher salary depending upon the level of proficiency and experience.
To pursue Game Designing Courses after 12th, there are certain prerequisites you must know. Though the actual course requirements might vary as per the program and institution, here are some general requirements for gaming courses:
- For diploma and bachelor’s degree programs, you must complete high school qualification or equivalent which is 10+2 with minimum marks specified by the university.
- For master’s degrees, you must have a bachelor’s degree in any field (preferably science and technology specialisation).
- If you are planning to pursue game designing courses abroad, you will have to submit language proficiency scores of IELTS/TOEFL, etc. along with a Statement of Purpose (SOP) and Letters of Recommendation (LORs).
How to Become a Video Game Designer!
Game Designing Colleges in Abroad
Studying game designing and development from a globally recognised institution would not just provide you with quality education but will help you strengthen your cognitive thinking and creativity to bring life to the next big gaming title. Here are the top Game Designing Colleges in India:
- Maya Academy of Advanced Cinematic (MAAC), Mumbai
- IIFA Multimedia
- Global School of Animation & Games, New Delhi
- ICAT Design & Media College
- Academy of Animation and Gaming, Noida
- Arena Animation
- iPixio Animation College, Bangalore
- Bharti Vidyapeeth University, Pune
- Zee Institute of Creative Arts, Bangalore
Colleges in India
Below is the list of top universities and institutions offering education programs in game design and development abroad:
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- University of Toronto
- The Art Institute of California
- Media Design School, Auckland
- New York University
- Staffordshire University
- Tufts University
- DigiPen Institute of Technology
- The University of Queensland
- Solent University
- University of Utah
- Savannah College of Art and Design
- Abertay University
- University of New Mexico
- Becker College
- Drexel University
- Rochester Institute of Technology
International students with an education and technical experience in the field of game designing, are well prepared to work with a development team in some of the top gaming companies of the world. A degree in game designing courses after 12th encompasses the following possible roles:
- 2D and 3D Game Designer
- Concept or Storyboard Artist
- Systems Designer
- Graphics Designer
- Level Designer
- Digital Animator
- Character Artist or Animator
- Texture Artists
- Creative Writer
- Storyline Editor
- Graphics Simulator
- Game Tester or Quality Assurance
Average Salary in Gaming
The average salary of a Game Designer is around 4.5 Lakhs to 5.1 Lakhs p.a. for entry-level profiles.
Top Gaming Companies
With the exploding popularity of the gaming industry, the number of quality video game companies continue to prosper. Below is a list of gaming companies highlighted as the best in the world:
- Tencent Games – Fortnite, PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds
- Sony Computer Entertainment – Air Combat, The Last of Us
- Microsoft Xbox – Halo, Minecraft
- Nintendo Company – Mario, Pokémon
- Electronic Arts – FIFA, Need for Speed
- Activision Blizzard – Call of duty, Overwatch
- Valve Corporation – Counter-strike, Half-Life
- Rockstar Games – Grand Theft Auto, Max Payne
- Sega Games Company – Sonic the Hedgehog, Virtua Fighter
- Bandai Namco Entertainment – Tekken, Dragon Ball
- Gameloft – Asphalt, Modern Combat
- King – Candy Crush Saga, Bubble Witch Saga
- Ubisoft – Assassin’s Creed, Prince of Persia
Here is a list of game designer courses after 12th:
1. Certificate course in Game Art & Design
2. Diploma in Production Gaming
3. Diploma in Game Design and Integratio
4. Diploma in Game Programming
5. Diploma in Animation, Gaming and Special Effect
6. Diploma in Game Development
7. Diploma in Game Design (DGD)
To become a game designer you need to have a passing certificate of class 12th if you plan to pursue a bachelors course in the field. For masters or PG diploma, you will need a bachelors degree.
1. C# Programming – Unity Game Development Certification (Coursera)
2. Unity Certified 3D Artist Specialization (Coursera)
3. Complete C# Unity Game Developer 2D (Udemy)
4. Computer Science for Game Development (edX)
5. Create Your First Game with Python (Coursera)
There are several gaming tournaments organized at national and international level. Candidate get prize money ranging from INR 20,000 to 5,00,000. Prize money can even go higher in some cases.
If you’re someone who has grown up with a passion for gaming and thought of making it better, now is your chance to design the future of gaming. Get ready to explore the world of game designing courses after 12th, but it is natural to have doubts about your decision. If you have certain apprehensions about the college or country from where you should pursue your course, the experts at Leverage Edu can help you in picking out the perfect university and country for you.