English is one of the most scoring and interesting subjects both at the school level and for higher education. Be it the class 12 English syllabus or the structure of English Literature courses, the chapters and poems broaden our horizons, enhances creative thinking, helps us understand a wide range of situations, and lastly, acts as a source of entertainment! When it comes to standard 8th, the syllabus is bifurcated into 4 major sections namely, Literature, Reading Comprehension, Writing Skills and Grammar. To help you understand the class 8 English syllabus better, here is a blog that will shed light on the topics covered in the syllabus!
This Blog Includes:
Being one of the most important sections of class 8 English syllabus, Literature consists of interesting lessons and poems which just like famous books and authors instill a sense of creativity and helps in improving vocabulary. For class 8th, the curriculum can vary from one school to another as per their methodologies but more or less, all the books have similar content as per the CBSE guidelines. Mentioned below are all the chapters from class 8 NCERT book:
- Chapter 1 – The Best Christmas Present In The World
- Chapter 2 – The Ant And The Cricket
- Chapter 3 – Geography Lesson
- Chapter 4 – The Tsunami
- Chapter 5 – Macavity: The Mystery Cat
- Chapter 6 – Bepin Chaudhary’s Lapse of Memory
- Chapter 7 – The Last Bargain
- Chapter 8 – Jody’s Fawn
- Chapter 9 – The Duck and the Kangaroo
Class 8 English Reading Comprehension
Reading Comprehension offers a variety of questions which have to be answered by understanding the meaning of the passage. An unseen passage as per the set standard of class 8 will be given along with questions with reference to the passage. Apart from this, questions based on unseen prose will also be asked, the answers of which will depend on their understanding.
Grammar is a part and parcel of the English language. When it comes to the class 8 English syllabus, apart from some new additions, the content of the grammar section generally remains the same like that in previous standards. To ace grammar for both, written and spoken English, you should focus more on rules by studying from some of the best English grammar books. Here are the important inclusions for this section in the English Syllabus of class 8.
- Noun – Common proper collective abstract
- Tenses – All forms of present, past and future tenses
- Forms of Verb
- Punctuation Marks – Use of comma, full stop, and question mark
- Use of article [a, an, the]
- Rhyming Words
- Modals [can, could, may, might, will, would, shall, should, must, ought to, need to, used to, has to, have to, dare to]
- Auxiliary Verbs [is, am, are, was, were]
- Conjunctions – Joining two sentences with the help of joining words like and, but, till, until, as, if, as well as, so that, such that, etc
- Rearrange a group of words to form meaningful sentences
- The use of prefix and suffix
- Use of determiners with the application of articles
- Use of prepositions – in, into, among, between, to, towards, by, with, for, from, of, beyond, below, behind, in front of, around
Class 8 English Writing Section
This section is a platform for students to showcase their flair for writing. In this, you have to display your fluency in the language through Letter Writing including both Formal and Informal Letter, Leave Application, Notice Writing, etc. Have a look at the main topics which constitute an integral part of class 8 English syllabus.
- Paragraph – eg. Write a paragraph on global warming
- Diary Entry – eg. How you celebrated your birthday
- Letter to Principal – eg. Importance of food chain (Formal)
- Letter to Friend – eg. How you celebrated your annual day in school (Informal)
- Notice – Informing about the cultural fest, lost and found
- Story Writing – an eg. chance meeting with your friend
- Diary Entry – eg. The message you got from the poem
- Dialogue Completion
Thus, we hope that after reading this blog on class 8 English syllabus, you are now aware of all the important details related to the curriculum. To know which stream would be the best for you, reach out to our Leverage Edu experts through e-meeting and get your career started on the right track!