We often confuse Naval Architecture with Marine Engineering. Even though both professions are related to the designing and development of ships, there are some differences. While Marine Engineering deals with the development and maintenance of the watercraft systems, Naval Engineering equips students with the designing and construction skills that can be used to build humungous ships.
Encompassing the elements of aerospace and automobile engineering, the field is an adventurous yet challenging career path. A small mistake by the Naval Architect can be disastrous for hundreds of lives and can cause huge economic losses. Thus, acquiring the right skills and knowledge is an important pre-requisite to continue in this profession. In this blog, we will discuss the key details pertaining to a career in Naval Architecture.
You might have seen supertankers used for transportation of petroleum and other ships with landing facilities for aircraft on them. Making such a humungous bulk of metal sail on the water is what the Naval Engineering professionals do. From designing small fishing vessels and deep-freezing facilities to building ships, yachts, large warships, and submarines, the architects make sure that the design is practical and safe. Some sophisticated ships solely designed for the exploration and extraction of petroleum are also constructed by the Naval Architecture professionals. With globalization, the maritime transport has increased and so has the demand for constructing vessels for the armed forces. Thus, pursuing a career in Naval Engineering is prosperous. The work environment of the professionals is highly competitive but has immense potential for growth and promotions.
Also Read: Top Aeronautical Engineering Colleges
The career opportunities for the Naval Architecture graduates are vast. From working in the private sector to government agencies, the job prospects are high in almost all the industries. Maritime careers range from design and construction to operation and maintenance of sea vessels and other complex watercraft structures. The work profiles that a Naval Engineering graduate can work include Designer, Surveyor, Marine Consultant, Production Manager, Offshore Structures Designer, etc. Given below are some of the industries you can venture in after completing the architecture degree:[optin-monster-shortcode id=”xf2mlnjiouddzrshykdb”]
- Construction and Repair
- Marketing and Sales
- Regulation, Surveying and Overseeing
- Research and Development
- Education and Training
The Naval Engineering courses are offered at both the bachelor’s and master’s levels. The curriculum of these courses incorporates theoretical knowledge with the practical aspects of the discipline. The architecture and design form the core of the subject, but the students in this field are taught the fundamentals of Marine Engineering which helps them in effective designing. Given below are some of the universities offering courses in Narine Architecture:
- Universiti Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: Bachelor of Engineering Technology (Hons) in Naval Architecture and Shipbuilding
- The University of New Orleans, US: Bachelor of Science in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering
- University of Southampton, UK: MSc in Maritime Engineering Science (Naval Architecture)
- Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden: Master of Science (MSc) in Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering
- The University of British Columbia, Canada: Master of Engineering in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering (MEng)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, US: Master of Science in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering
- Singapore Institute of Technology, Singapore: BEng (Hons) in Naval Architecture
- University of Michigan, US: MS in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering
- Harbin Engineering University, China: Master Degree of Engineering in Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering
- Universidade Da Coruña, Spain: Master’s degree in naval and oceanic engineering
- Dunarea De Jos University of Galati, Romania: Master in Naval Architecture
Thus, a career in Naval Engineering offers a plethora of career opportunities for students across the globe. If you are planning to pursue this course but are not sure about how to get started with it then you can get in touch with the experts at Leverage Edu. The counsellors will not only help you with the admission formalities but will also create an impressive resume to secure admission in top universities.