An acoustical engineer is a professional who specializes in sound and vibration science (physics). Their main goal is to reduce noise and vibration that might affect people and enhance the acoustic environment for the general public. Environmental, architectural, industrial, entertainment, manufacturing, and transportation are just a few industries that benefit from acoustical engineering skills.
|UG – 10+2 in Science with 45% aggregate from a recognised board PG – Unger graduate degree with 60% aggregate
|UG – 3 – 4 years PG – 2 years
|B TechM TechPhD
|UG – (Entrance exam / Cut off)PG – (Entrance exam / Cut off)
|Sound Engineer, Acoustic Consultant, Multimedia Developer, Sound Designer, Studio Engineer, Sound Recordist
This Blog Includes:
- Key Responsibilities Acoustic Engineer
- How to Become an Acoustic Engineer? (Step-by-Step Guide)
- Acoustic Engineering Courses
- Popular Specialisations
- Top Universities Abroad
- Top Colleges in India
- Application Process
- Scope of Acoustic Engineering in India & Abroad
- Job Profiles & Salary
- Top Recruiting Firms
Key Responsibilities Acoustic Engineer
Administer all-acoustic principles and concerns related to them.
- Analyze acoustic design, test it, and combine different engineering resources.
- In a competitive environment, do noise evaluations and invention disclosures.
- Organize with the Acoustic Technology Center and teach other engineers.
- Create a variety of communication devices for various mobile and portable projects.
- Analyze all-acoustic difficulties, coordinate all interactions with acoustic centres, and provide support to the design team.
- Survey all noise and vibration processes and provide an appropriate environment for them.
- Prepare technical reports and aid in the settlement of different environmental challenges.
How to Become an Acoustic Engineer? (Step-by-Step Guide)
The following steps are mentioned below to become an Acoustic Engineer:
- Pursue Education: Acoustic engineers must have completed post-secondary study from a recognised institution. While some colleges provide acoustic engineering bachelor’s degrees, you can also acquire a degree in a more generalist programme. You can pursue a degree in engineering, math, physics, electrical engineering, or music. Consider pursuing a master’s degree, which will allow you to earn more money and specialise.
- Apply for License: You can examine your province’s acoustic engineering standards and prospective licencing requirements if you want to become an acoustic engineer. There are various licencing regulatory boards from throughout the countries.
- Examine for licences: Acoustic engineers must pass licence examinations specific to their field. When you’re ready to take the exam, the PEO office sends you a registration notification in the mail.
- Acquire experience: You’ll need a lot of professional experience to become an acoustic engineer. During the summer, you can gain this experience through job placements or internships. This establishes you as a good prospect for possible positions and boosts your chances of being hired.
Acoustic Engineering Courses
In a sound engineering course, students acquire technical information and how to put that knowledge into practice. The course encourages students to think critically and creatively about sound and music creation for various objectives. Sound Design, Automation, Music Theory, Ear Training, Audio Engineering, Studio Techniques, Audio Cables and Interconnections, The Power of Musical Instrument Digital Surface, Acoustics, Studio Designing, Recording or Microphone Techniques are only a few of the topics covered.
- Sound Design and Synthesis
- Analog and Digital Consoles
- Custom Library Development
- Acoustics and Studio Design
- Recording or Microphones Techniques
- The Power of Musical Instrument Digital Surface
- Audio Cables and Interconnections
- Basic Electronics and Decibels
- Fundamentals of Audio Engineering and Applications
BEng Acoustical Engineering
This acoustical engineering course examines how acoustics, or the study of sound and vibration, is used in technology. It may be used for a variety of things, including:
- Automobile design
- Concert venues are designed using 3D audio systems.
- Aeroplane noise reduction
- Ultrasound is being used to combat antibiotic resistance.
Acoustical Engineering (MEng)
Acoustics is a branch of science that studies the mechanics of sound and the psychology of how humans react to noise and vibration. With our MEng (Hons) Acoustical and Audio Engineering degree, you may prepare for a satisfying future job where you can make the world a better sounding place.
Acoustics with Music (BSc)
This challenging multidisciplinary degree will assist you in developing the scientific abilities and creative attitude necessary to build tomorrow’s music tools, places, and software. You’ll learn how contemporary technology transforms the way sound is made, altered, and transmitted.
The following are the popular acoustic engineer specialisations:
Architectural Acoustics: The branch deals with architectural designing to enable effective distribution of wanted sound and exclude unwanted noise. The areas of focus include concert halls, stadiums, churches, auditoriums and etc.
Noise Control: As the name suggests, noise control is used to mitigate the increasing noise pollution from various sources using acoustical engineering technology and taking precautions and safety measure to ensure these applications for people.
Underwater Acoustics: In this specialisation of acoustical engineering, engineers focus on SONAR technology ( Sound Navigation and Ranging) to detect the presence and distance of underwater obstacles for various purposes including in military and research.
Top Universities Abroad
Following are some of the universities which offer admission into courses for an acoustic engineer abroad:
|Universities QS World Ranking 2023
|University of New South Wales 45
|George Brown College –
|University of Derby 1001-1200
|University of Kent 375
|Purdue University 129
|Pennsylvania State University 93
|Georgia Institute of Technology 88
|University of Rochester 147
|University of Hartford 801-1000
|Johns Hopkins University 24
Top Colleges in India
Following are some of the universities which offer admission into courses for an acoustic engineer in India:
- IIT Kharagpur, Kharagpur
- Deviprasad Goenka Management College of Media Studies, Mumbai
- Film and Television Institute of India, Pune
- Biju Patnaik Film and Television Institute, Cuttack
- CRAFT Film School, Delhi
Every student must meet the eligibility requirements to be admitted to a Sound Engineering programme. The qualifying requirements differ based on the course and college you pick. The following are the qualifying criteria for both UG and PG courses:
An applicant must have a 10+2 in Science from a recognised board to pursue a UG study in Sound Engineering. The candidate may be required to take common entrance examinations administered by universities and colleges to be admitted. UG Entrance Examination: MET, KNIIT, DUET.
An applicant seeking admission to a postgraduate programme must have a bachelor’s degree with a minimum grade point average of 60%. Students are also required to take common admission exams. PG Entrance Examination: BHU PET, IPU CET
According to the admissions standards, qualified applicants will be granted available spaces based on merit. Admission to the program needs:
- A filled-in online application and payment of a requisite fee.
- You might need to submit your academic transcripts.
- GRE scores might be required by some institutes.
- English language competency might be required (TOEFL/IELTS).
- Once you submit the application, you might be called for an interview based on your application’s merit.
- If you clear the interview, you can proceed with admissions.
- You will need to submit the first-semester tuition fee to confirm admission and apply for a student visa to study in the USA.
To study at UC Irvine you must have completed your Senior Secondary Certificate of Education in English in order to enrol in these courses. Following are the documents required:
- Official academic transcripts
- English language proficiency score
- University supplementary form
- Statement of Purpose/Personal Statement
- Letters of Recommendation
- SAT/GMAT/GRE Score is recommended
- Updated CV/Resume
- A passport & UK Student Visa
- Bank Statements
Scope of Acoustic Engineering in India & Abroad
- Sound engineers and technicians can work in various settings, including radio stations, television stations, studios, multimedia design, animation, advertising businesses, movies, and more. Technical skills, including sequencing, mastering, editing, and recording can be learned through specialised courses. They can become a studio manager if they have the necessary experience.
Job Profiles & Salary
- A student pursuing a degree in Sound Engineering has a wide range of work opportunities.
- A Sound Engineer’s compensation varies depending on their qualifications and expertise.
- For your reference, below are the typical wages for some of the job descriptions provided.
|INR 55,55,775 LPA
|INR 35,62,500 LPA
|INR 46,09,875 LPA
|INR 35,62,500 LPA
Top Recruiting Firms
There are many job prospects in the music industry. Work can be found in the film business, music studios, radio, advertising, and various other industries. Individual persistence is required throughout the first years of employment. However, with more exposure and expertise, a candidate in this profession might easily make significant pay. The following are some of the top music industry job recruiters:
- Sony Pictures Entertainment is a film studio based in Los Angeles.
- The Isha Foundation is a non-profit organisation
A sound engineer might pursue several different professional paths. The following are some of the most popular job profiles:
-Engineer of Sound
-Consultant in Acoustics
Yes, choosing Sound Engineering as a professional path may be fruitful. Sound Engineers can choose from a wide range of work prospects.
IPU, CET and BHU, CET are two of the most prestigious admission exams for a Master’s degree.
If you want to apply to the top Universities for an acoustic engineering degree, you should consult the experts at Leverage Edu to get you an admit from top Universities.