Indonesia is the world’s largest archipelago and home to over 600 ethnic groups is a unique and fun combination of ethnic diversity and modernity. It also has 9 world heritage sites, 100 active volcanoes, and a resounding love for social media with 80% of its population with unhindered access to the internet. As one of the fastest-growing economies in Asia, the country actively encourages international students to study at its unique universities in Indonesia. These are respected and known for the quality of education, cheap tuition fees as well as a plethora of courses that can accelerate one’s career! Want to break the norm and study at an epic destination this year, then check out the best universities in Indonesia!
Check Out the Best Universities in South Korea!
This Blog Includes:
- Why Study in Indonesia?
- Eligibility Criteria
- Top 10 Universities in Indonesia
- Average Fees
- Popular UG and PG Courses in Indonesia
- Cost of Living
- Getting a student visa
- Languages in Indonesia
- Safety in Indonesia
Why Study in Indonesia?
- Affordable Country: If you want to pursue higher studies then Indonesia is one of the cheapest countries to study and live. The average cost of living in Indonesia for a single person averages at Rp 13,415,843 (about $900 or INR 70,168.94) a month.
- Multicultural Land: Indonesia is known for its diverse multicultural land and also for cheaper education. A melting pot of diversity, culture and unique student cities, this archipelago is an excellent destination for students who wish to travel and explore multicultural cuisine.
- Quality of Education: Indonesia provides a good quality of education with more employment opportunities. Some of its popular universities are ranked amongst the top Asian universities by QS World Rankings, THE World Rankings and accredited for its programs.
- Variety of Courses: Universities in Indonesia provide their aspirants with a variety of courses to choose from and degrees bachelor, masters or PhD. Indonesia is home to the most prestigious universities with good infrastructure, motivating faculty, etc.
- Graduating from nationally accredited high schools or Completed General Certificate of Education (A Level), the Advanced International Certificate of Education at a Pass level or above.
- SAT result must be provided by undergraduate applicants who do not hold certificate of A Level or STPM or equivalent.
- Graduates of Diploma Program of European Baccalaureate, Diploma Program of International Baccalaureate
- In general, candidates must meet the requirement of obtaining ITP/International TOEFL with a minimum score of 500 (PBT); 173 (CBT); 60 (iBT) or IELTS minimum score of 5.5.
- Applicants of International Bachelor Programs must obtain ITP/International TOEFL with a minimum score of 550 (PBT); 213 (CBT); 80 (iBT) or IELTS minimum score of 6.0.
- Students may require GRE/GMAT or other relevant tests to seek admissions.
Study at the Best Universities in the Tiger Economies of the World
Top 10 Universities in Indonesia
|Name of the University||Town||QS World Rankings 2022|
|Universitas Gadjah Mada||Sleman||254|
|Universitas Pendidikan Indonesia||Bandung||251-300|
|Universitas Negeri Yogyakarta||Sleman||301-350|
|Institut Pertanian Bogor||Bogor||511-520|
|Universitas Negeri Semarang||Semerang||–|
Universitas Gadjah Mada
Universitas Gadjah Mada is a public university with high research output. It has a QS ranking of 254 with 738 international students from across the world enrolled in different programs. It has approximately 55000 students including foreign students.
University of Indonesia has a QS ranking of 290 with 1412 international students. It has more than 30000 students including foreign students and from Indonesia. It enriches students with absolute care and a high variety of courses under 4210 faculty.
Bandung Institute of Technology
Bandung Institute of Technology has a QS ranking of 303 and 613 making it an excellent choice for international students. It is a public university with very high research output. It has more than 25000 students including foreign students and from Indonesia. One of the earliest technological universities in Indonesia with 2228 faculty members working on diverse subjects.
Airlangga university is a public university with high research output. It has a QS ranking of 465 and 495. It has more than 10000 students including foreign students and from Indonesia. It offers students graduate as well as post graduate degrees .
Bogor Agricultural University
Bogor Agricultural University is a public university with very high research output. Bogor Agricultural University has a QS Ranking of 511 to 520 and attracting thousands of students worldwide. It also has 745 international students. It has more than 10000 students including foreign students and from Indonesia. The university provides the finest quality of research.
Top Universities in the Himalayan Nation of Nepal
|University||Application Fees||Admission Fee||Tuition Fees|
|University of Gadjah Mada||$70 – $90/INR 5,187.7-6,669.9||$1800 – $9300 /INR 133,398-689,223||$700 – $1800/INR 51, 877- 133,398|
|University of Indonesia||UndergraduateTuition fee $1500- $3500/ INR 111,165-259,385 + Admission fee $2000- $7000/INR 148,220- 518,770
Postgraduate Tuition fee $2000 – $2500/INR 148,220- 185,275 + Admission fee $1500 – $2000) /INR 111,165- 148,220
For doctoral Tuition fee $2500 – $2800/INR 185,275- 207,508 + Admission fee $1500 – $2000/INR 111,165- 148,220
For specialist Tuition fee $2500 – $2600/INR 185,275-192,686+ Admission fee $2000 – $2200/INR 148,220- 163,042
For professional Tuition fee $1500 – $2000/ INR 111,165- 148,220+ Admission fee $700 – $1500INR 51,877- 111,165
|Institute of Technology, Bandung||$3300 – $3500/ INR 244,563-259,385||$2200 – $2400 per semester/ INR 163,042- 177,864|
|Bogor Agricultural University||$170 – $860/INR 12,598.7- 63,734.6|
|Airlangga University||$90 for the February /semester /INR 6,669.9|
Popular UG and PG Courses in Indonesia
Here are the most- sought after courses to study in the Indonesia:
Popular Postgraduate Courses
|Name of The Course||Name of The University|
|Master Of Management In Technology||President University|
|Master In Accounting||Universitas Gadjah Mada|
|Master In Disaster Science||Universitas Syiah Kuala|
|Master In Biomanagement||Indonesia International Institute For Life Sciences (I3l)|
|Master Of Education Management Study Program||Ahmad Dahlan University|
|Master Of Design Program||Indonesian Computer University|
|Master In Integrated Microfinance Management||Universitas Padjadjaran|
|Master In Environmental Health||Diponegoro University|
|Msc In Management||School Of Business And Management Itb|
|Master Of Islamic Education Management||Ptiq Jakarta|
|Master Of Management||Batam International University|
|Masters In Economics||Brawijaya University|
|Master In Information Technology||President University|
|Master Of Physics Education Study Program||Ahmad Dahlan University|
|Master Of English Language Education||Ahmad Dahlan University|
|Master In Applied Statistics||Universitas Padjadjaran|
|Master In Literary Studies||Universitas Padjadjaran|
|Master In Cultural Studies||Universitas Padjadjaran|
|Master In Civil Engineering||Diponegoro University|
Popular Undergraduate Courses
|Course Offered||Name of The University|
|Bachelor of Veterinary Medicines||Ipb University|
|International Undergraduate Program in Biology||Universitas Gadjah Mada|
|Bachelor in International Accounting Program||Universitas Syiah Kuala|
|Bachelor in International Relations||President University|
|Bachelor of Agribusiness||Hasanuddin University|
|Bachelor of Food, Science And Resources||Ipb University|
|Bachelor of Agro Industrial Engineering||Ipb University|
|International Undergraduate Program in Accounting||Universitas Gadjah Mada|
|International Undergraduate Program in Management||Universitas Gadjah Mada|
|International Undergraduate Program in Economics||Universitas Gadjah Mada|
|International Undergraduate Program in Law||Universitas Gadjah Mada|
|International Undergraduate Program in Chemistry||Universitas Gadjah Mada|
|International Undergraduate Program in Computer Science||Universitas Gadjah Mada|
|International Undergraduate Program in International Relations||Universitas Gadjah Mada|
|International Undergraduate Program in Public Policy And Management||Universitas Gadjah Mada|
|International Undergraduate Program in Communication||Universitas Gadjah Mada|
|International Undergraduate Program in Psychology||Universitas Gadjah Mada|
|Bachelor in International Management||Universitas Syiah Kuala|
|Bachelor in International Economic Development||Universitas Syiah Kuala|
Cost of Living
Cost of living in Indonesia is not so expensive as compared to other locations , for a student it’s approximately $8600 / INR 637,346 per year.
|Flights||40,000- 50,000 INR|
|Meals||25, 250 rp/INR 131.37947.84 rp/INR 41.328768|
|One Bedroom Apartment||3501469.15 rp /INR 39,007.6396|
Getting a student visa
In order to apply for the Indonesian student visa, students need to apply for a Study Permit from the Indonesian Ministry of Education. Students should book their visa appointments three months prior to departure and assemble all the required documents in time:
- Three copies of your passport
- A copy of the Recommendation Letter issued by your university
- A copy of your Letter of Acceptance
- The completed application form.
- A Letter of Recommendation from the Indonesian Embassy/Consulate in your country of residence.
- A copy of your academic transcript and records
- Your Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Two passport-sized photographs
- A Letter of Financial Guarantee or a sponsorship certificate which proves you can cover your study and living expenses.
- Health certificate
Languages in Indonesia
Indonesian is the official language of Indonesia. There are several universities that offer courses in their native tongue while there are many for international students in the English language. English is only second in popularity in Indonesia as several natives are proficient in the language making it easier for international students, professionals and tourists to interact with the locals.
Safety in Indonesia
Indonesia is a safe country for students, professionals, and tourists. Many government advisors warn travelers against the risk of street crime and pick-pocketing, particularly in busy tourist areas in Bali, where there have been reports of bag-snatching. It is advised to take caution and not travel late at night.
Yes, Indonesia is a perfect place to probe. Furthermore, it’s cheap to study in university in Indonesia as well as provide a good quality of education.
Not exactly free but universities in Indonesia provide various scholarship programmes that make studying in Indonesia top priority.
Indonesia is one of the most popular study destinations for international students. It has more than 122 state universities that provide good quality education that too at low fees.
According to QS Ranking, University of Indonesia is one of the best universities in Indonesia.
The language spoken in Indonesia is Indonesian.
Study in Taiwan, the Asian Dragon!
Want to study in Indonesia’s best universities? Then drop us a comment and we will guide you to achieve your goal studying in the city of Nusantara!