Looking to study on the Earth’s largest continent? Providing quality education at comparatively affordable costs is one of the many reasons that attract a huge influx of international students to Asia. Students get to experience the multicultural diversity of Asian countries that cultivates in them many skills and values that last, not only through their academic journey but for a lifetime. In this blog, we have listed the top countries in Asia that are the perfect destinations to pursue your dream education. Let’s check them out!
Also Read: Best Universities in Asia
Reasons to Study in Asia
With the ever-growing economies, Asian countries have invested manifold in imparting high-quality education and strengthening their position in the global rankings. Over the years it is becoming an education hub for international students from all around the world. Let us look at some of the reasons that contribute to Asia’s popularity as a study destination:
- Affordability – The cost of living and studying in Asia is way lower than in other study-abroad destinations like Europe and the USA. Cities like Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), Chennai (India) and Istanbul (Turkey) are some of the most affordable destinations in Asia. So students can live in Asia during their studies without digging a hole in their pockets.
- Diverse Culture – Asia is a hub of numerous cultures and accommodates people from all walks of life. The core values and beliefs in Asia emphasize unity and harmony. Immersing themselves in a rich and diverse culture can be a fascinating and great learning experience for the students.
- Quality of Education – Over the years, Asian countries have achieved the top level of education. The challenging curriculum and emphasis on quality education have changed the landscape of literacy rate in Asia. Countries like Japan, Singapore, China, etc are home to some of the top-ranking universities in the world.
- Boosts your Profile -The curriculum in Asian institutions puts focus on essential skills like critical thinking, collaboration, creativity, etc, which revamps your CV and boosts your profile as a professional. Education from an Asian country shows your ability to adapt to a multicultural environment and your potential at networking and competency.
Top 10 Countries to Study in Asia
Here is a list of the best countries to study in Asia for international students:
- South Korea
- Hong Kong
Singapore tops our list when it comes to the best countries in Asia to study. It features among the top 20 in the QS World University Rankings. In recent years, Singapore has made vast developments in the field of Education and has been recognised worldwide for its research and innovation programs. This multicultural nation provides a very hospitable environment for international students, who get the opportunity to expand their network.
Universities in Singapore
There are around 34 universities in Singapore, known for their high-quality education. The National University of Singapore (NUS) and Nanyang Technological University (NTU) feature very highly in the QS World University Rankings 2024. Singapore is also home to a few international universities like:
- Singapore University of Technology and Design, developed in partnership with the US’s Massachusetts Institute of Technology and China’s Zhejiang University.
- Yale-NUS College, partnership between the National University of Singapore and Yale University.
Cost of Living
The average tuition fee for a year in a university in Singapore ranges from around 15-30 lakhs. Living expenses can cost you, on average, around US$8,000 ( INR 5,00,000) a year.
Entry Requirements to Study in Singapore
- Certificate of completing Secondary Education
- English language proficiency tests: IELTS (6.5-7) and TOEFL (90-100)
- You do not need to submit IELTS or TOEFL scores in some universities if you prove that you have pursued your entire school education in English language.
Home to many well-reputed universities, Malaysia is the 11th most popular study destination in the world according to UNESCO and up and coming as one of the most sought after study abroad destinations in Asia. Malaysia offers a rich cultural immersion with a plethora of ethnicities, making it “Truly Asia”. The Malaysian government has invested in the country’s higher education sector to establish it as a top study destination in Asia.
Universities in Malaysia
The following list collates the top university located in Malaysia:
- Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman (UTAR)
- Universiti Sains Malaysia
- University of Malaya
- University of Science, Malaysia
- National University of Malaysia
- Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
- Universiti Utara Malaysia
Cost of Living
In the QS Best Student Cities ranking, the country’s capital, Kuala Lumpur was named the world’s second most affordable city for students. The average cost of living in Malaysia for an international student each year is around MYR 14,400 (INR 2.5-3 lakhs). The average tuition fees for an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in Malaysia can range anywhere between INR 7,00,000 to INR 10,00,000.
Entry Requirements to Study in Malaysia
- Certified copies or transcripts of the previous academic results
- A valid passport with a year of validity
- General medical report to prove that your health is normal
- English language proficiency: Certifications in IELTS, TOEFL or C1 Advanced
- Application form
Did you know that Japan has the second-highest number of Nobel Prize winners of all countries in the world? This is due to the contribution made by Japanese universities in Medicine, Chemistry, etc and other research and innovation projects. Even though English is not spoken widely in Japan, there are a number of English-taught programmes in universities in Japan. The 3rd largest economy in the world, Japan offers a wide range of universities for students to choose from and 10 of them are ranked in the top 200 worldwide.
Universities in Japan
- University of Tokyo
- Kyoto University
- Tokyo Institute of Technology
- Osaka University
- Tohoku University
- Nagoya University
- Kyushu University
- Hokkaido University
- Waseda University
- Keio University
Cost of Living
Japan is a pretty affordable country for international students. The average monthly living expenses (including tuition) in Japan for international students comes around 138,000 yen (INR 90,000)
Entry Requirements to Study in Japan
- Academic transcripts of school education, bachelors or masters certificates.
- Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU)
- Result of your Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT)
- Result of your English Language Proficiency like IELTS, TOEFL, etc.
- Letters of recommendations (depends on the University)
Also Read: Best Universities in Asia
This was all the essential information regarding the best countries in Asia to study, with detailed emphasis on the top 3 Asian countries. Other than the countries listed above, the Philippines, Turkey, Israel can also be a preferable option for students looking to study abroad. Confused about which country to choose and how to start the visa application process? Contact Leverage Edu and book your free session today!