Study in Indonesia: Indonesia means ‘Indian Islands’ and is made up of over 14,000 islands. It has emerged as one of the leading economies in the world and is the largest in Southeast Asia. With hundreds of different ethnicities, languages and cultures, it poses as the melting pot of contrasts and diversity. Some of the most prestigious universities in the region are located in Indonesia.
This blog introduces you to the top universities and interesting student cities that the country offers. Let’s explore!
|Currency||IDR, Indonesian Rupiah|
|Major Student Cities||Medan|
This Blog Includes:
Top Colleges & Universities in Indonesia
|University||QS Rankings 2022|
|Bandung Institute of Technology (ITB)||313|
|Gadjah Mada University (UGM)||254|
|Bogor Agricultural University||118 (Asia)|
|Airlangga University||124 (Asia)|
Also Reads: How Much Will It Cost to Study Abroad?
Courses To Study in Indonesia
There are a variety of degree/undergraduate courses students can choose from. The list of degree courses students can opt for to study in Indonesia are listed below for your easy reference.
- Business Degree Courses such as accounting, information management etc.
- Computing Degree Courses such as computer science etc.
- Creative Degree Courses such as design degrees, fashion designing etc.
- Engineering Degree Courses such as automative engineering, industrial engineering, software engineering etc.
- Hospitality Degree Courses such as hotel management etc.
Also Read: List of Top International Student Loans
Why Study in Indonesia?
- When it comes to studying in an international destination, Indonesia provides a very excellent experience.
- Great food and wonderful sights along with friendly people are all available in Indonesia.
- Over 6,000 international students studying in Indonesian Universities.
- Great career growth opportunities.
Also Reads: List of Top International Student Loans
Cost of Studying in Indonesia
The cost of studying in public and private universities in Indonesia is around USD 3,000-6,100 (INR 2,24,779- 4,57,051) a year for most subjects. Medical degrees lie on the higher end of this spectrum. The cost of living is also very reasonable here. Universities recommend a budget of USD 8,600 per year. This covers everything from travel, books, accommodation, etc. Depending on your lifestyle and spending habits, you should be able to save money if spending carefully.
Eligibility Requirements to Study in Indonesia
The applications must be made directly on the university pages and a fee of USD 50 (INR 3,746) would be needed to make. Following requirements are common in Indonesian Universities.
- High school certificate or equivalent if applying at the undergraduate level, or academic certificate of a bachelor’s degree if studying at master’s level.
- Academic transcript.
- Proof of English proficiency with a test such as IELTS or TOEFL, or proof of Indonesian proficiency if studying in Indonesian.
- A GRE or GMAT test for those applying for a master’s in business or economics.
Also Read: All About Education Loans for Students
Scholarships to Study in Indonesia
- KNB Scholarship- This is a fully-funded scholarship offered by the Indonesian Government for students from around the world.
- Undip Scholarships Indonesia Diponegoro University- This scholarship is offered to international students for studying masters in chemical engineering, management, accounting, etc.
- Indonesian Arts and Culture Scholarship- This scholarship provides all students with the opportunity of studying art and culture in Indonesia.
- SEARCA Graduate funding for Southeast Asians 2020-2021- The scholarship provides students from Asia to complete their master’s and PhD programs in the fields of environmental studies. Social sciences, statistics, forestry, etc.
Indonesia Study Visa
In order to study in Indonesia, one would need a social (social/cultural) visa. This needs to be applied at the Indonesian embassy or the consulate present in your home country post gaining acceptance to an Indonesian University. This visa enables you to stay in Indonesia for 60 days. However, it will be extended because your university will act as your sponsor. Documents needed are:
- Your passport should be valid for at least another six months after your entry date to Indonesia.
- Two recent passport-sized colour photographs of yourself.
- Your completed visa application form.
- Proof that you have enough money to support yourself in Indonesia.
- A certificate showing you’re in good health; Your letter of acceptance from an Indonesian university.
- Evidence that all the necessary fees have been paid in advance, or proof of a scholarship if you have one.
Also Read: How to Apply for Visa?
Best Cities to Study in Indonesia
People in Indonesia are very welcoming and friendly. Known for its smiling faces, the University allows international students to settle in by providing them with a ‘pendaming’. This is an English-speaking buddy who would help you discover the best and cheapest places to shop, eat and show you around. Generally hot and humid, Indonesia basically has two seasons- a wet season between October and April and a dry season between May and September. The following cities are some of the most student-friendly cities here.
Also Read: What is the full form of ASEAN?
This was all about studying in Indonesia. If you are someone who is planning to pursue your degree in Indonesia, then it’s time to fasten your seatbelts and pull up your socks! The experts at Leverage Edu are just a call away to provide you with all the guidance and mentorship that will make your dream to study abroad a reality! Call us on 1800572000 and book your FREE meeting with our counsellors today!