The Burj Khalifa, Dubai’s pride, rises tall with all thanks to the efforts of 7000+ Indian workers. For ages, India and UAE have been closely working on trade, infrastructure, retail and financial services. It was in the mid-60s when the discovery of oil in Dubai brought hundreds of Indians to the UAE in search of work opportunities. Today, we comprise 38% of the population working in this gulf city. It is one of the fastest-growing cities in the world and is constantly working towards attracting more and more international workers and immigrants to work in Dubai on a Dubai Work Visa. If you wish to study in the land of dreams and fantasies, then read to know more about the Dubai Work Visa for Indians.
This Blog Includes:
- What is a Dubai Work Visa for Indians?
- Top Job Sectors in Dubai
- Rules for Dubai Work Visa for Indians
- Eligibility of Dubai Work Visa for Indians
- How to Get a Dubai Work Visa?
- Documents Required for Dubai Work Visa for Indians
- Dubai Working Visa Processing Time
- Dubai Work Visa Fees for Indians
- Validity of Dubai Work Visa for Indians
- Terms & Conditions for Dubai Work Visa
- Rights of an Immigrant Employee in Dubai
- Can Dubai Work Visa be Renewed?
What is a Dubai Work Visa for Indians?
A work visa is a special permit that allows foreign citizens to work in a specific country for a set amount of time. If you want to work in Dubai or the United Arab Emirates, or if you want to do business in Dubai, you can apply for a 60-day Dubai Work Visa, which allows you to arrive in the UAE and start working right away. During this time, you must apply for and receive an employment and residency visa – usually for another two years – through your UAE employer. The appropriate rules may differ depending on nationality. There may not be many papers to process if you are from one of the UAE states.
Top Job Sectors in Dubai
Although the UAE is known for its oil reserves and trade, the country also has a thriving economy that includes the following sectors:
- Information Technology
- Engineering and Construction
- Oil and Gas
- Steel Industry
- Marketing and Advertising
Rules for Dubai Work Visa for Indians
To work in Dubai, both you and the organisation that hires you must meet the following conditions or rules:
- You must be 18 years or older.
- Your employer in Dubai should have a company license to employ immigrants.
- No violations from the employer side to hire you.
- The work you do must correspond to the nature of the company hiring you.
Eligibility of Dubai Work Visa for Indians
Any foreigner above the age of 18 can work in Dubai as long as they meet the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation’s requirements (MoHRE). Although there is no upper age limit for employment in Dubai, the corporation does charge a premium price for individuals over the age of 65. Based on their academic qualifications/skill sets, foreign workers are categorised into three categories:
- Category 1: If you have at least a bachelor’s degree
- Category 2: If you have a post-secondary diploma in any field
- Category 3: If you have a high school diploma
Note: The government of UAE does not want any company in Dubai to exploit immigrant workers’ rights or positions. Therefore, they do a thorough check before applying for a Dubai Work Visa for Indians. To avoid any kind of disappointment while applying, check carefully.
How to Get a Dubai Work Visa?
Getting a Dubai Work Visa for Indians is indeed a lengthy process. As an employee, you don’t have to do much but submit your valid documents. Here’s the step-by-step process that will explain to you how to get Dubai Work Visa to work in Dubai:
Step 1: Search for a Job Offer
You can be offered a job in Dubai either when you are in India or touring Dubai on a Tourist Visa. The employer must send proof of the job offer to you before you submit your documents. In case of getting a job while on a Tourist Visa, some airlines like AirArabia offer you a facility known as ‘Visa Run’ wherein they take you to a neighbouring country like Oman while your Dubai Work Visa can be processed.
Step 2: Submit Your Documents
After getting a job offer, the next step is to submit all the essential documents for a Dubai Work Visa for Indians. The documents should be valid and not expired. You have to submit these documents to your employer in Dubai who will then apply for your work permit.
Step 3: Work Permit for 2 Months
Your employer in Dubai will submit your application to the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation (MoHRE) along with your documents. After verification, the ministry will issue a Dubai Work Visa or work permit that will be first valid for 2 months only.
Step 4: Fly to Dubai
A Dubai Work Visa for Indians will allow you to fly to Dubai. A series of medical tests will be conducted to verify your health or abilities on reaching Dubai. Since the work permit is only valid for 2 months, you have to apply for the Emirates and a Labour Card within 2 months only.
Step 5: Dubai Work Residency Permit
After reaching Dubai, a Dubai Work Residency Permit will be given to you after the successful completion of your tests and post receiving your Emirates ID and Labour Card. This will ensure that you have officially become a part of Dubai’s workforce.
Note: With a Dubai Work Visa for Indians, workers can travel for work purposes in any city in the UAE. Your employer is majorly responsible for your visa process which makes your work before flying to Dubai easier.
Explore Student life in Dubai
Documents Required for Dubai Work Visa for Indians
You have to submit valid documents two times in the entire process. Once while your employer applies for your work permit and second when you are in Dubai and need to apply for a Dubai Work Residency Visa.
The list of all the essential documents for a Dubai Work Visa are:
- Valid Indian passport with 6 months validity from the time you are in Dubai;
- Entry permit is given by your employer to enter Dubai;
- Police clearance certificate from a local Indian police station attested by the Ministry of External Affairs of India;
- A medical test certificate from an approved medical centre in India;
- Passport size photos against a white background
The list of essential documents for a Dubai Work Residency Visa are:
- Copy of valid Indian passport with a 6-month minimum validity
- Birth certificate
- Driver’s license
- Marriage certificate (if applicable)
- Police clearance certificate attested by MoEA of India
- Medical test certificate from India
Dubai Working Visa Processing Time
The Dubai Work Visa processing time depends upon your employer’s application and the status of your document verification and approval. In case your application is considered valid, the Work Visa can be issued to your employer in 2 to 7 working days. Once your Work Visa is sent to you, you have to upload it on the airlines’ website along with your airline ticket. This is essential for the airlines to label you as ‘OK to Board’ (meaning eligible to fly) to Dubai.
If your documents are incomplete, the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation will send them back to your employer for changes. Once completed, you will receive your Dubai Work Visa in a week. The ministry checks for any foul play or exploitation or violation of rules and if found the employer will face investigation while you won’t get your Work Visa.
Dubai Work Visa Fees for Indians
The Dubai Work Visa fees for Indians depends upon a lot of factors like your educational qualifications, eligibility, etc. The table mentioned below will help you to better understand the Dubai Work Visa fees:
|Types of Work Permit||Category||Fees|
|Dubai Work Visa||–||AED 200 or INR 4076|
|Dubai Work Residency Visa||Category 1: Bachelor’s degree level of education||AED 300 or INR 6115|
|Category 2: Post-secondary diploma in any field||AED 600- AED 2000 or INR 12,230- INR 40769|
|Category 3: High school diploma||AED 5000 or INR 1,01,922|
Note: There is no age limit for a worker in Dubai but if you are over the age of 65 irrespective of any of the three categories, the Dubai Work Visa fee will then be around AED 5000 or INR 1,01,922.
Validity of Dubai Work Visa for Indians
When you first acquire a work permit, it is valid for 30 days and can be extended for another 30. This allows you to stay in the nation for 60 days, during which time you and your employer must arrange for a Residence Visa, an Emirates ID, and a Labour Card. It is the Residence Visa, as well as the Labour Card, that allows you to lawfully live and work in Dubai. UAE residence visa is granted for 1, 2 or 3 years, depending on your purpose of travel and the UAE authorities’ discretion.
Terms & Conditions for Dubai Work Visa
For the ones applying for a Dubai Work Visa for Indians, there are a few terms and conditions which if not followed can lead to visa rejection:
- Females below the age of 24 and travelling alone can be denied a work visa (due to high human trafficking crimes in Dubai).
- Dubai does not allow informal sector employees like domestic help to apply for Dubai a Work Visa.
- The government in Dubai gives you a 30 day grace period after Visa expiry to renew the same. If you overstay your Visa validity, UAE bans you from their country or even jail you for up to 3 months.
- If you have a Tourist or Work Visa for Dubai which has never been used, you have to get it cancelled to apply for a new one.
- If you wish to cancel your Visa and go back to India, only your employer can do so and not you.
- There must be no criminal record in India if you want to apply for a Dubai Work Visa.
Note: Although the ministry does not specify the reason for the rejection of the Dubai Work Visa for Indians, the conditions above can be very strong arguments for the same.
Rights of an Immigrant Employee in Dubai
The official portal of the UAE government has set a list of immigrant workers rights, which if exploited can lead to the cancellation of your employer’s license.
- Your employer has to pay the work visa fees.
- Recruitment fees are illegal. In case your employer asks for it, you can report him.
- Employers must pay immigrant workers fully and on time.
- A comfortable working environment for the employees.
- No employee can hire any worker below the age of 15.
Can Dubai Work Visa be Renewed?
Yes, it can be renewed. All sorts of Dubai residency visas are provided for a period of 1 to 3 years and can be renewed. Your sponsor is required to renew your Dubai Work Visa for Indians within 30 days of its expiration date. The procedure for renewing your Dubai Work Visa is the same as it was when you first got your visa: your sponsor must apply at the relevant emirate’s General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs. If you are inside the Dubai residence visa or UAE residence visa expiry grace period, your sponsor may renew your visa after it has expired.
Your legitimate work permit will have the logo of the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation. If not, do not accept it.
You cannot cancel it, your employer files for cancellation upon your request.
Yes, you can bring your family on Residence Visa to Dubai as long as you fulfil the income criteria.
You can complain to the MoHRE which will investigate if your complaint is valid.
No, you cannot buy a house on a Work Visa. You can rent an apartment for a living though.
Your work permit fees, visa fees and medical test expenses should be given by your employer.
Your employer has to give you a contract that mentions your name, job role, salary and rights as an immigrant worker.
Your proof of nationality, identity and other personal documents should be kept with you.
So this was all about the Dubai Work Visa for Indians. Reach out to our Leverage Edu experts if you’re planning to kickstart your study abroad journey in one of the elite colleges of Dubai next semester!