With the new research methods and a shift in approach towards plant sciences, many students of biology have started to show an interest in botany. Research in ecology and the current rate of climate change and global warming has made it even more important to study about plants and research on the same. If you are looking for a career that is inclined towards research and detailed study of plant life then you might want to pursue botany. Here is all the information that you will need on BSc Botany.
BSc Botany – Overview
A bachelor’s of science in botany is a three-year undergraduate programme in plant science, which aims at scientifically studying the life of a plant. This course includes practical as a well theoretical study of plants. There are several subfields of botany that explore all the species of plants from unicellular plants to advanced courses like biotechnology. A BSc Botany degree will equip you with the required skills for understanding the demands of the industry as well as develop a research-driven approach to the field.
BSc Botany – Syllabus
The syllabus of this course varies from college to college as it is important to keep the syllabus updated with all the research taking place simultaneously. A well-updated syllabus includes the basics of botany as well as the new research areas like biochemistry and biotechnology that are relevant to contemporary research. These subjects are fundamental to understanding the core concepts of the course. Here are the key components of botany that one should be aware of before opting for this course:
- Cell Biology: Cellular biology looks at the basic structure of the cell and studies its life cycle and other important functions. Studying about cells helps with studying of complex organs and tissues, that are formed of these cells.
- Anatomy: This field of science looks at the structure of any living organisms, examining the details of every organ and its function and how every function helps the organism survive. Anatomy of plants is an important topic as it looks at the structural organization of it which helps in understanding the processes of its life cycle and how it affects the ecosystem.
- Biotechnology: Biotechnology is important as well as a contemporary branch of science that amalgamates technology and biology. This technique has been used in plants to create a hybrid, genetically modified plants, etc. which revolutionized the agricultural processes across the world.
- Biochemistry: Biochemistry is the field of science that applies chemistry to the biological processes. This again is an important part of botany because of its relevance in contemporary research. Production of herbicides and pesticides is one of the greatest achievements of biochemistry in the stream of botany.
- Genetics: Genetics is that part of biology which is concerned with the study of the genetic system as well as genes. This branch is important when one looks at its relevance in biotechnology.
- Ecology: Ecology is the study of interactions and relations between organisms. With the current rate of climate change and deforestation, this field of study has become important due to the urgency to address these issues.
Here is a list of subjects that you will come across while pursuing your BSc in Botany:
- Cell Biology
- Plant Anatomy
- Plant Physiology
- Plant Biotechnology
- Environmental Studies
- Plant Evolution
Job Prospects- BSc Botany
Botany has a lot of branches that explore and research in the different aspects of plants. The majority of jobs lie under the research and experimentation sector. Here are a few job profiles that you can consider:
- Plant Biochemist
- Plant Pathologist
- Park Ranger
Top Colleges- BSc Botany
Here are the top colleges offering BSc botany along with a well-updated curriculum:
- University of California- Berkeley
- Humboldt State University
- Cornell University
- University of Wisconsin
- North Carolina State University
When looking at courses that you can pursue in a certain field it is natural to feel apprehensive about your ability to pursue that course. It is tricky to choose the best college and course for yourself but with the help of the experts at Leverage Edu you can figure out which course is best suited for your abilities.