Planning to study in New Zealand? Amongst the foremost countries to combat the pandemic effectively, New Zealand is home to many globally-acclaimed universities offering world-class programs across every field of study. From lively locals to a vibrant mix of cosmopolitan and rustic aura, the land of Kiwis is one of the choicest destinations to study abroad! Amongst the varied scholarships in New Zealand, Eamon Malloy Memorial Scholarship is offered by the University of Canterbury to students in Asian countries. This blog brings you a complete guide on Eamon Molloy Memorial Scholarship, its application process, eligibility and more.
Must Read: Scholarships to Indian Students
This Blog Includes:
About the Eamon Molloy Memorial Scholarship
Offered by the University of Canterbury, the Eamon Molloy Memorial Scholarship to Asian students. The award was created in honour of Mr Eamon Molloy, a dedicated Catholic who during his lifetime, helped many foreign students settle and study in New Zealand. Here are the major Asian countries which are applicable under this scholarship:
- Sri Lanka
- Timor Lester or Vietnam
Anyone who holds a Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card is also eligible for applying to the Eamon Molloy Memorial Scholarship. Here are the key highlights of the Eamon Molloy Memorial Scholarship:
- A reward of up to NZD 15,000 (INR 7,75,200) will be awarded to the selected candidate
- Eamon Molloy Memorial Scholarship offers full-time assistance to an Asian student at the University of Canterbury.
- It covers the tuition fees and compulsory charges.
- Only one Eamon Molloy Memorial Scholarship is awarded annually.
- The deadline for submission of application is 28th February 2021.
Recommended Read: New Zealand International Doctoral Research Scholarship (NZIDRS)
There are only two requirements for students to be eligible for the Eamon Molloy Memorial Scholarship which are as follows:
- The student has to be a resident of any of the above-mentioned countries.
- The student should be enrolled in a full-time undergraduate course in the second, third or fourth year at the University of Canterbury.
Here is the application process for the Eamon Molloy Memorial Scholarship:
- Complete all the admission formalities at the University of Canterbury.
- The candidates are expected to fill out an online scholarship form. The form is available approximately 8 weeks before the deadline for the submission. Applicants must make sure that the application for the scholarship is submitted by 5:00 p.m. On February 28 (or by 5:00 p.m. on the next business day if not a business day).
Check Out: Lincoln University Academic Scholarship
Selection Criteria for Eamon Molloy Memorial Scholarship
The Eamon Molloy Memorial Scholarship is presented to the Selection Committee, consisting of a representative of Dr Ngau Boon Keat; the Molloy family; the donors; and the UC Foundation.
The Eamon Molloy Memorial Scholarship selection requirements are:
- Scholarly credentials,
- Economic demands and needs
- The applicant’s personal statement outlining their short-term and long-term career aspirations, devotion to society and culture, bearing in mind the difference that this unique course will make.
- The committee usually interviews the applicant before the final decision is made.
The Eamon Molloy Memorial Scholarship, established in 2010, is awarded annually by the University of Canterbury, New Zealand to one Asian national.
An NZD 15,000 scholarship sum that is awarded to only one undergraduate student who is able to or has taken admission into any stream/field at the University in the second, third or fourth year of the course. The reward can only be used for tuition fees and necessary expenditures.
Also Read: Top Universities in New Zealand
Here are some of the major terms and conditions of the scholarship:
- Awarded for the tuition fees for the first year and necessary expenses.
- If the student has already paid the full payment, then after reaching New Zealand, the scholarship balance will be credited to his/her student fee account.
- Failure to accept the scholarship offer must be accepted within one month (normally specified in the offer), which could result in re-allocation to the next applicant in line.
- Awarded only to nationals from the mentioned countries who have a valid student visa to New Zealand for full-time UG courses.
- The award will not be given that year if the selection committee is unable to find a suitable nominee for the prize.
- In order to internationalize its courses and programmes, the winner of the Eamon Molloy Memorial Scholarship has to engage in promotional activities carried out by the university.
- The recipient must retain a full-time on-campus student status.
- Scholarship continuation is conditional and relies on adequate academic success and adherence to the laws of the university.
- If the terms of previously won awards allow the claimant to take up another award, the award can be clubbed with any previously won award. In that case the applicant has to report the fact to the selection committee, which will in turn determine the applicant’s financial need in its entirety.
- In order to get the scholarship form in time, applicants are advised to search the university website approximately two months before their admission closing dates.
Thus, we hope that this blog provided you with all the essentials of the Eamon Molloy Memorial Scholarship. Aspiring to study in New Zealand? Get in touch with our Leverage Edu mentors and we will help you find the right course, university as well as scholarship to fulfil your dream of studying in New Zealand! Sign up for a free session now!