Without a doubt, Mauritius is a dream vacation location for people all over the world. Few people get the chance to study and live in a lovely nation like Mauritius for five years. Until now, very few people were aware that Mauritius has become a popular location for overseas students pursuing their MBBS degree who are searching for a high-quality education while also studying in a culture that is quite close to India. You never feel like you’re out of India while studying MBBS in Mauritius. To commence their careers, an increasing number of NEET qualified students are choosing to study MBBS in Mauritius. In this blog, you’ll be finding all the relevant information that is required for you to start your MBBS in Mauritius.
|Program Duration||5.5 years|
|Eligibility Criteria||60% in PCB & NEET qualified|
|Total Fees||38 lakhs to 47 lakhs for 5 years|
|MCI Approved Medical Colleges||Available|
This Blog Includes:
- Advantage of Studying MBBS in Mauritius
- Approval Status of MBBS in Mauritius
- MBBS Course Duration in Mauritius
- MBBS in Mauritius Syllabus
- MCI Approved Medical Colleges in Mauritius
- MBBS in Mauritius Eligibility Criteria
- Document Checklist
- Cost of Study
- Admission Process for MBBS in Mauritius
- Pursue MBBS Abroad (BONUS)
Know about the Top 10 Medical Courses Without NEET in 2022
Advantage of Studying MBBS in Mauritius
Before knowing about the top universities and the eligibility criteria for pursuing MBBS in Mauritius, here are some of the prominent advantages for aspirants to pursue their MBBS degree in this country:
- The Medical Council of India oversees and regulates the MBBS curriculum in Mauritius.
- In Mauritius, there are a number of MCI-approved universities that provide MBBS programmes.
- Mauritius is a country that speaks English. It also has a lot of Indian influences. A few generations ago, many Indians arrived in Mauritius. Strong ties to India and its languages may be seen by students. Many Indian languages, in addition to English, are spoken throughout the country. As a result, Indian students do not feel uncomfortable when they travel to Mauritius.
- Many medical schools employ experienced Indian professors with decades of teaching expertise.
- All students are divided into small groups, which allows for more effective learning and instruction.
- When compared to India, the cost of studying MBBS is less in Mauritius. In fact, there is also no need to spend extra money on university donations for pursuing MBBS in Mauritius.
- Aspirants will not feel alienated or lonely in the country since they can easily find Indian culture and migrants all around the country.
- The weather and surroundings are ideal for students. It is a pollution-free country, and students have no need to be concerned about being unwell. There are several beaches, beautiful scenery, and a peaceful mood.
- The language, food, customs, and traditions are all quite similar to those found in India. As a result, Indian students find it simple to adjust to the Mauritius atmosphere.
- Overall, the people are really kind and easy to mix with.
Approval Status of MBBS in Mauritius
The first issue that comes to mind when considering studying MBBS in Mauritius is if it is approved by the Medical Council of India (MCI). The MCI does not recognise all MBBS degrees obtained in other countries (Medical Council of India). However, MCI has authorised MBBS in Mauritius, which is wonderful news for study abroad students. As a result, students may take the MCI test and begin practising as soon as the course is completed. Aside from that, the MBBS programme in Mauritius is approved by the following international and national organisations:
- WHO – World Health Organization
- MCI – Medical Council of India
- ECFMG – Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates
- IMED – International Medical Education Directory
- FAIMER – Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research
- TEC – Tertiary Education Commission Mauritius
- USMLE – United States Medical Licensing Examination
- LMCC – Licentiate of the Medical College of Canada
MBBS Course Duration in Mauritius
The MBBS programme in Mauritius lasts for around 5.5 years. The curriculum is identical to the Indian MBBS programme since the course follows a similar framework supplied by MCI. The first four and a half years are spent in the classroom, with the last year spent as an intern in one of the affiliated hospitals or healthcare institutes.
MBBS in Mauritius Syllabus
The National Medical Commission guides the MBBS Syllabus in Mauritius. Hence, the studies and course curriculum is similar to that of Indian MBBS. Given below is a brief outlook of the MBBS in Mauritius syllabus:
|Pre-clinical (2 Semesters)||Paraclinical (3 Semester)||Clinical (5 Semesters)|
|Anatomy||Forensic medicine||Community medicine|
|–||–||Obstetrics and Gynaecology|
MCI Approved Medical Colleges in Mauritius
Some of the top medical colleges that are approved by MCI for MBBS in Mauritius include:
- Anna Medical College, Montagne Blanche
- SSR Medical College, Vacoas-Phoenix
Anna Medical College
Medical College of Anna Mauritius offers all of the contemporary amenities that a medical institution need. Anna medical college’s MBBS staff hails from India and Mauritius, making Indian students feel at ease while studying there. The University of Technology in Mauritius is associated with Anna Medical College. For its students, Anna Medical College offers a vast library with around 7000 medical books. At Anna Medical College Mauritius, students from all over the world come to study. Anna medical college has students from India, Mauritius, Australia, the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, and South Africa, to mention a few. Anna medical college has multimedia classrooms to improve clinical skills, simulation labs, and one of the most modern expansive medical laboratories in Mauritius. Passing the NEET exam is required for admission to Anna Medical College Mauritius since the year 2018. Only those who pass the NEET exam will be eligible for admission to Anna Medical College by the MCI. When compared to private medical institutions in India, the cost of studying at Anna Medical College Mauritius is half that.
SSR Medical College
SSR Medical College Mauritius was Mauritius’ first medical college over 20 years ago. Its convenient location near the airport has made it a popular choice among international students, particularly Indians. The campus is surrounded by beautiful tea gardens with plenty of natural beauty. All overseas students are expected to remain in campus hostels, which are divided into gender-specific sections. SSR Medical College offers a minimal price structure and provides high-quality education at a reasonable cost too. The SSR Medical College in Mauritius features all of the medical equipment that was brought from Japan, as well as the greatest labs and facilities. Just like in Anna Medical College, passing the NEET exam is required for admission to SSR Medical College Mauritius since 2018. Only those who pass the NEET exam will be eligible for admission to SSR Medical College by the MCI.
MBBS in Mauritius Eligibility Criteria
Although, the eligibility criteria to study MBBS in Mauritius will vary from one university to another, here is the general eligibility criteria to study the MBBS program in the country:
- Students must have completed and secured a minimum of 60% aggregate marks in their 10 + 2 school education from a recognized board
- The main subjects of study should be biology, physics, and chemistry in class 12th
- Age should be minimum of 17 years and maximum should be 30 years
- Must be NEET-UG qualified
- Should have a good track of academic records
- Should have good health and provide all certificates
- Should be fluent in the English language
- Some of the medical universities in Mauritius require IELTS scores too as one of the eligibility conditions to seek admission
Here is the important document checklist that students must keep in mind when applying for the MBBS in Mauritius:
- 10th and 12th mark sheet and pass certificates
- NEET UG scorecard
- Medical certificate
- Birth certificate
- Documents for financial stability
- A Valid passport
- Student visa and residence permit
- Passport size photographs
- Student’s identification documents
Cost of Study
Although the cost of MBBS in Mauritius is slightly more, it is far lower than the cost of MBBS in India. Furthermore, the educational quality of Mauritian medical institutes is commendable. Here is the average cost of studying MBBS in Mauritius at the MCI approved medical colleges:
|Medical College||Average Total Tuition Fee in INR||FMGE Passing Percentage|
|Anna Medical College||39.70 Lakhs||66.13%|
|SSR Medical College||46.20 Lakhs||43.48%|
Know How much does it cost to study in Mauritius?
Admission Process for MBBS in Mauritius
Mauritius’ medical colleges offer MBBS admission to aspirants in two sessions: April and September. Aspirants are given a set amount of time to enrol in an MBBS programme. The candidates will be chosen based on their NEET test scores, papers, and counselling sessions. The following is a step-by-step guide to MBBS admission in Mauritius:
- Following the completion of the 10+2 and NEET exams, Fill out the application form on the college’s official website.
- The admissions committee will next double-check the information on qualifications and other papers.
- Students will be shortlisted based on their grades and documentation in the next round.
- Candidates will now be invited for counselling rounds, which will include a personal interview.
- The dean of the college will make an admission decision following the personal interview.
- Following clearance, the chosen individuals will be required to provide a medical fitness certificate.
- Now you must provide the required documentation as well as the institution’s fees.
Must Read: Courses after MBBS You Must Consider
Pursue MBBS Abroad (BONUS)
Take a look at the following table elucidating some related blogs you must check out to pursue MBBS from the listed countries:
Which Country is Best for MBBS: Know our Top Picks
This was all that you required to know about MBBS in Mauritius. Are you looking for pursuing your MBBS degree abroad in 2022? Get in touch with one of our Leverage Edu study abroad consultants at 1800572000 and let them find the best-fit university abroad to kickstart your MBBS journey in no time!