There are over 100 universities that offer BPS-accredited psychology courses in the UK. Studying psychology in the UK allows you to work in child-care, media, education, management, and the medical sector. The average salary of a psychologist in the UK can be £40,619 (INR 41,94,208) per month. If you are planning to pursue a career in psychology and want to study in the UK then here’s everything you need to know about Masters in Psychology in the UK!
This Blog Includes:
- Who Should Opt for this Course?
- Masters in Psychology in UK
- Why Study Masters in Psychology in the UK?
- Top Universities offering Master in Psychology in UK
- Courses Offered & Course Fees
- Specialisations in Masters in Psychology in UK
- Masters in Psychology in UK – Eligibility Criteria
- Documents Required
- Average Tuition Fees
- Career Prospects & Scope
- Scholarships Available
- Student Visa in UK
- Documents Required for UK Student Visa
Who Should Opt for this Course?
Although an interesting specialization course, the type of work the psychologists have to go through is satisfying but excruciating. So, ask yourself some questions before going deeper into the course like:
- Can you handle tense situations patiently?
- Do you have good analytical skills?
- Are you sympathetic and empathetic towards others?
Also Read: Cheap Universities in UK
Masters in Psychology in UK
Masters in Psychology in the United Kingdom is offered by over 100 universities and can take anywhere from a year to three years to finish. Research, statistics, and learning behavior, personalities are all elements of the psychology curriculum in UK universities. The average cost of a master’s degree in psychology at a UK university ranges from 20,000 to 50,000 GBP (19 lakhs to 48 lakhs). A postgraduate degree in psychology can enable a student to become a certified psychologist and register as a practitioner with the HCPC (Health and Care Professionals Council). A certified psychologist can earn between 100,000 and 250,000 GBP (97 LPA to 2.4 Cr) each year.
Why Study Masters in Psychology in the UK?
- Diverse Specialisations: The designed degrees in Masters in Psychology in UK universities teach students about all aspects and notions of how our human mind and psyche work. The leading universities and colleges’ course focuses on understanding people’s thinking and behavior patterns in society, considering human phases of mental, physical, and emotional growth. Counseling, psychotherapy, organizational psychology, special education, advertising, and other fields employ psychology graduates.
- BPS-Accredited Universities: Universities in the United Kingdom provide a wide range of psychology degrees, some lasting a year and others only a few months. The British Psychology Society accredits these in the UK, which monitors high-quality education and research in psychology.
- Transferable Skills: Universities in the United Kingdom that provide master’s degrees in psychology provide access to specialized facilities to examine theoretical and practical problems. They provide students with modern and better learning psychology patterns in which to apply their information and skills. Universities nowadays increasingly urge students to participate in residential field trips, which provide them with practical experience.
Also Read: Common Myths on Studying in UK
Top Universities offering Master in Psychology in UK
With so many universities in the UK providing master’s degrees in psychology, we’ve compiled a list of the top ten based on university rankings for the field:
|University||QS Global Rankings 2022|
|University of Oxford||#3|
|UCL (University College London)||#10|
|King’s College London||#22|
|University of Edinburgh||#28|
|London School of Economics and Political Science||#32|
|University of Exeter||#34|
|University of Warwick||#44|
|University of Manchester||#46|
1-Year Masters Programs in the UK
Courses Offered & Course Fees
|University||Course offered and duration||Course fees|
|University of Oxford||M.Sc. in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy M.Sc. in Experimental Psychology||£47,010 [INR 48 lakhs]|
|UCL (University College London)||MA in Education (Psychology)MSc in Health Psychology||£20,110 [INR 20 lakhs]£25,900 [INR 25 lakhs]|
|King’s College London||MSc in Health Psychology||£29,850 [INR 29 lakhs]|
|University of Edinburgh||MSc in Psychological ResearchMSc in Social Psychology||£23,950 [INR 23 lakhs]£23,950 [INR 23 lakhs]|
|London School of Economics and Political Science||MSc Social and Cultural Psychology
MSc in Organisational and Social Psychology
|£22,608 [INR 22 lakhs]|
|University of Exeter||MSc Social and Organisational Psychology
MSc Psychological Research Methods
|£22,500 [INR 22 lakhs]|
|University of Warwick||MA in Psychology and EducationMSc in Psychological Research||£21,280 [INR 21 lakhs]£27,160 [INR 21 lakhs]|
|University of Manchester||MRes Psychology
MEd Psychology of Education
|£25,000 [INR 25 lakhs]£19,000 [INR 19 lakhs]|
|Cardiff University||MSc Psychology||£21,950 [INR 21 lakhs]|
Must Read: Top UK Universities Every Football Player Must Check Out!
Specialisations in Masters in Psychology in UK
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy
- Experimental Psychology
- Social Psychology
- Clinical Psychology
- Clinical Neuropsychology
- Health Psychology
- Psychology and Education
- Psychological Research Methods
- Social and Cultural Psychology
- Organisational and Social Psychology
- Counseling Psychology
Masters in Psychology in UK – Eligibility Criteria
The following are the eligibility requirements to study Master in Psychology in UK:
- Academic Requirement: A Minimum of 60% is required in the bachelor’s (bachelor’s should be in psychology-related field)
- Work Experience: Work experience may not be mandatory in all universities however, it is preferred in a lot of institutes.
- English Proficiency Requirement:
Score High with Leverage Live and Land Your Dream University!
To study abroad, you must provide the following documents with your application. Some of these documents are required by all universities participating in the program. Some universities, however, may need you to submit extra documents and information. The following are a few of them:
- Transcripts: Transcripts from prior institutions of higher learning are an important part of your application package.
- LOR: At least two letters of recommendation from academic teachers and previous workplaces is generally required. The University of Oxford, for example, requires students to have three letters of recommendation.
- CV/Resume: While this is not a necessity, individuals with prior experience must provide a CV with their application package.
- Tests to study in the UK: Test scores such as IELTS, TOEFL, and others must be provided as part of the application process.
- Personal Statement: A personal statement is required by almost all top universities and helps in the weighting of your application package.
Documents Required for Applying to UK Universities
Average Tuition Fees
Understanding the cost of study programs is crucial for international students. The cost of living for a graduate student at each university may vary from one to another. However, the estimated annual tuition fees for studying at some of the UK’s most prestigious universities go from 19 lakhs to 48 lakhs.
Career Prospects & Scope
A Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership of the British Psychological Society is required to pursue a career in psychology in the United Kingdom. Working in counseling can pay up to 127,000 GBP [INR 1.3 Cr] each year. Psychology is a rapidly growing discipline, and overseas graduates can find work in a variety of settings.
International students can now stay in the UK for two years, making it a better education center. As a psychologist, you can start your practice, work with offenders as a Criminal Psychologist, or work for businesses in the conflict and crisis management departments. After completing a master’s program, research-based programs can be pursued to discover new aspects of the human mind.
Getting a master’s degree in another country might be expensive. International students can pay for their education by applying for scholarships to study in the United Kingdom. The table below details the scholarships available to international students in the United Kingdom who wish to pursue a master’s degree in psychology.
|Scholarship||Amount Offered (GBP)|
|Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship||13,048/year|
|Hilde Himmelweit Scholarship||Three awards 2,000|
|Dr Antony Kidman Scholarship in Health Psychology||10,000|
|David Vowles Postgraduate Scholarship||2,000|
|Chevening Scholarships||Full funding for a year|
Also Read: Study in UK after 12th Grade
Student Visa in UK
Here are the two main types of UK Student Visas you can choose from to study in UK:
|Tier 4 Student Visa||Short-term Student Visa|
|This is for those who are 16 years of age or above and have enrolled in a course exceeding more than 11 months.||This type of visa is for those students who want to enrol in a short-term course.|
|You will have to collect your Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) or letter of acceptance from the institution where you have applied to study.||The duration of such courses doesn’t exceed 11 months.|
Note: A candidate enrolled in the Masters in Psychology, must apply for the Tier-4 Student Visa.
Also know the UK Student Visa Rejection Reasons!
Documents Required for UK Student Visa
The following documents are required to apply for a students visa by aspirants who wish to study Psychology in UK:
- Coloured passport size photograph
- A valid passport
- The Confirmations of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) reference number along with other documents to required to obtain CAS
- Proof of financial stability
- Assessment documentation
- Details of your travel plans and where you are about to reside
- Health checkup report
Want to study for Masters in Psychology in the UK for the January 2022 Intake? Call our Leverage Edu expert on 1800 572 000 and shortlist the best universities for studying psychology this winter. Book a free session today!
Queries related to uk and course
Queries related to uk and course
Hi Marry, Please get in touch with our experts on 1800 572 000 to get the best courses and universities for studying psychology in the UK!
You can also explore some of our blogs on psychology to get a deeper insight into the subject as a career: https://leverageedu.com/blog/career-in-psychology/