We have all grown up watching popular anime shows like Pokemon, Naruto and Dragonball Z, but ever wondered who is the mastermind behind these shows? Who makes these stories come to life? The answer is an animator! Animation is a fascinating and rapidly growing career option; it is one of the highest-paid jobs all over the world. If you are someone looking to make a career based on your artistic skills and business sense then this is the career path for you! In this blog, we will cover the best Animation Schools in Japan in which you can enrol yourself and live your dream life!
Must Read: Top Animation Colleges in the World
This Blog Includes:
Why Study Animation in Japan?
- Japan is a renowned hub for scientific innovation and technological advancements! It is also a leader when it comes to creating quality Anime (Animation) that are world-famous for their storylines and design. There are over 400 animation studios in Japan that have produced some of the best animation movies like The Spirited Away, My Neighbour Totoro and Ghost in the Shell.
- Networking is a great reason why animators should consider Japan. Creating valuable contacts in the design industry is vital and studying Japan can give you the opportunity to interact and network with leading personalities of the industry.
- Studying animation in Japan is also a great way to boost your career; you can take up internships with some of the best animation studios in the country such as Toei Animation, Nerima, Nippon Animation, Koganei, Sunrise, Suginami, Madhouse, Inc and Honchō, Nakano.
- Animation colleges in Japan are also relatively affordable animation courses, than in countries like the USA, Canada and the UK. The average course fees for first-year in Japanese animation courses are 50,000 Japanese Yen- 1,280,000 Japanese Yen. (INR 33,506 – INR 8,57,875)
Top 20 Animation Schools in Japan
The animation schools in Japan offer excellent courses for building a career in the new media graphic design and digital art industry. These schools are comparatively cheaper and affordable for international students hailing from across the world. To study animation at these schools, students are required to apply for a visa under the category of Japanese language or opt for other cultural visas specific to their country of origin. Here are the top 20 Animation Schools in Japan.
- Tokyo University of the Arts
- Osaka animation school
- Fukuoka college of design Animation Schools in Japan
- Tokyo Designer School
- College of International Design
- Amusement Media School
- Toei Animation Institue
- Tokyo Animation School
- Japan Manga Institute
- Kyoto Seika University
- Aoba Japan International School
- Tokyo Anime Seiyuu Senmon School
- Multimedia Art School
- Tokyo Game Designer Institute
- Sapporo College of Anime
- Kodansha Culture Center
- Japan Animation and Manga College
- Tama Art University
- Musashino Art University
- Kyoto University of Art and Design
Must Read: Top Universities in Japan
Let’s look at some of the best animation schools in Japan in detail for international students!
Tokyo University of the Arts
Tokyo University of the Arts is one of the most popular animation schools in Japan. Located in the capital city of Tokyo, the university’s department of Animation offers a wide range of courses at the masters level to build the unique artistic skills required to develop a strong career in anime filmmaking. Here are some courses by the institute-
- 2D Animation Course
- Model Animation Course
- Producing Course
Tokyo Designer Gakuin
Next on our list of top animation schools in Japan is Tokyo Designer School. It is a vocational school that offers excellent animation courses and specialisations under various departments like Graphic Design, Illustration, Visual Image Design, Comic Illustration, Manga, Product Design, Architecture Design and Figure Design. Here are some popular courses offered by the school-
- Game Creator
- Character Design
- Computer Graphics
Yoyogi Animation Gakuin
Yoyogi Animation Gakuin is another amazing choice for studying animation in Japan. This school is the oldest animation college in Japan and offers advanced animation courses along with career guidance to national and international students. The school’s graduates have created some of the best anime like Detective Conan and Pokemon. Here are some popular courses-
- Animation Producer and Director Course
- Manga/ Comics
- Animation Background Art Course
Amusement Media School Sougou Gakuin
Amusement Media School Sougou Gakuin is amongst the best animation schools in Japan. The school is known for its high-quality programmes and departments like Game Designing, Animation Design, Character Design, Novels, Manga Illustration and Voice Acting. Courses offered by the school are open to high schools, graduates and working professionals. Here are some of the most popular courses-
- Game Programmer
- Game Planner
- Production and Producer Course
- Voice Acting
- Light Novel and Novel Major
- Anime and Game Scenario Major
- Manga Illustration
Tokyo Animation College
Tokyo Animation College is one of the most popular animation schools in Japan. Located in the heart of Tokyo, the vocation school has two popular departments- Animation and Comics. The school also provides industry exposure and assistance with career-building. Here are some courses offered by the school-
- Animation Course
- Anime Production Course
- Story Comic Course
Kyoto Seika University
Kyoto Seika University is a private college for animation in Japan. It is located in Kyoto and offers a wide range of courses for Digital Art and the New Media Industry. The college has various departments like Animation, Manga, Popular Culture, Design and Art that offer a bunch of courses to students such as-
- Cartoon Art
- Comic Art
- Animation Course
- Character Design
- Oil Painting Course
- Graphic Design
- Digital Design
Must Read: How to Build a Career as a Cartoonist?
How to Apply for Animation Schools in Japan?
Currently, amidst the pandemic, the enrollment process is closed in the schools of Japan for animation courses. However, for the application process, you can simply register yourself on the official websites of your desired colleges, submit the requisite details, pay the application fee and wait for their response. Furthermore, students should also know that some of the institutions in Japan accept students who are well-versed in the Japanese Language.
Japan is one of the most beautiful, technological advanced and affordable choices for studying abroad. There is no better place to study animation than Japan as it is the biggest industry for animation, manga, graphic design and film-making! Animation colleges in Japan are affordable and are a gateway to building a lucrative career in the country. So, what are you waiting for! Contact our Leverage Edu experts at 1800 572 000 and get all the details about studying animation in the land of animators!