Those who are not citizens of a neighbouring Nordic country must get a work visa to pursue employment in Sweden. Even nationals of the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA) require work permits to work in Sweden. If you’re not familiar with the process for obtaining a work visa in Sweden then it can cause operational delays or compliance issues. But don’t worry, we’ve got all the information you’ll need to apply for a work permit in Sweden from India.
Also Read: Sweden Student Visa
This Blog Includes:
- Types of Visa for Indians in Sweden
- Types of Swedish Work Permits
- Requirements for Work Permit in Sweden
- Application Process for Work Permit in Sweden
- Validity of Sweden Work Permit
- Processing Time for Work Permit in Sweden
- Fees for Work Permit in Sweden
- Extending a Work Permit in Sweden
- Sweden Business Visa
Types of Visa for Indians in Sweden
Indians planning to travel, study and work in Sweden must apply for different types of visas based on their intent. Here are the different types of visas offered by the Swedish government:
Types of Swedish Work Permits
Before entering Sweden, all non-EU and EEA residents must first secure a job offer and a work permit. An employee cannot reside or work in Sweden unless he or she has a valid working visa. Your employee may be eligible for an EU Blue Card or an Intra Corporate Transfer (ICT) Permit depending on their occupation or home country.
A European Union Blue Card is a work and residence permit for highly trained workers. Applicants must work in specific fields, have a university degree, or have five years of professional experience. Expats who are shifting to the Swedish branch of a company from outside the EU should apply for an ICT permit. This option, however, is only available to personnel who hold managerial or specialist jobs.
Also Read: Top Scholarships to Study in Sweden
Requirements for Work Permit in Sweden
In order to obtain a work visa in Sweden, both employees and companies must meet certain conditions. Employees must meet the following requirements:
- A valid passport is required.
- Job offer with terms that are comparable to Swedish collective bargaining agreements or the industry norm
- A monthly income of at least 13,000 SEK (108,805 INR) before taxes or a compensation commensurate with the position is required.
- Health insurance, life insurance, and social security are all included in the job offer.
- Accommodation proof
- To leave the country once the job contract expires
To hire a foreign national for a job in Sweden, all employers must meet certain conditions. For example, the position must have been advertised for at least 10 days in the EU/EEA. It should also include phrases that are similar to those used in other Swedish positions in the same field.
Application Process for Work Permit in Sweden
While the process for obtaining a work visa in Sweden varies based on the type of visa, the following steps are generally followed:
- Get a Job Offer: After obtaining approval from the appropriate trade union for the work and remuneration, submit a written job offer to an employee. Make sure the offer specifies the period of employment, as this will influence the duration of the visa.
- Start the Application: Employers must apply for a visa through the Swedish Migration Agency’s online system. The employee’s date of birth, citizenship details, education, and email address will be required.
- Receive the Official Email: Following the submission of the application to the Swedish Migration Agency, the applicant will get an email with instructions on how to begin their part of the procedure. They must specify if they are moving alone or with their family.
- Submitting all Relevant Documents: Employees must submit a copy of their passport, a job offer, and a declaration from their union.
- Paying the Fee: The majority of work permits cost roughly 2,000 SEK (16,739 INR).
- Waiting for the Permit to be Issued: The majority of expats working for a Swedish company must wait one to three months for their work visa to be issued. However, the length of the wait depends on the industry they work in, whether they applied online or in person, and if they are self-employed or hired by a corporation.
Also Read: Student Loan for Sweden [Complete Guide]
Validity of Sweden Work Permit
Work permits can be issued for two years, with the option to renew for another two years. Individuals who desire to settle in Sweden can apply for permanent residency after four years of working under a work permit. If the individual finds a job with a new employer in Sweden during the two years that the work permit is valid, he should apply for a new permit. He can change jobs and request an extension once the work permit’s validity expires.
Processing Time for Work Permit in Sweden
The application may take 20 to 30 working days to be processed by the Migration Agency. The processing time is reduced if the company is certified by the migration agency.
Fees for applying for a work visa for employees, self-employed people, and their family members is as follows:
Fees for Work Permit in Sweden
|Application for work permit for employees||Fee|
|Work permit, EU Blue Card, ICT permit, seasonal work||SEK 2,000(16,739 INR)|
|Extension of work permit||SEK 2,000(16,739 INR)|
|Special fees for certain occupations||Fee|
|Self-employed||SEK 2,000(16,739 INR)|
|Performer||SEK 1,500(12,554 INR)|
|Au pair||SEK 1,500(12,554 INR)|
|Athlete or coach||SEK 1,500(12,554 INR)|
|Working holiday visa for young people||SEK 1,500(12,554 INR)|
|Researcher||SEK 1,500(12,554 INR)|
|Trainee (through an international exchange program or agreement)||SEK 1,500(12,554 INR)|
|Volunteer||SEK 1,500(12,554 INR)|
|Seek employment after completed research||SEK 1,500(12,554 INR)|
|Family members of those who are applying for or have a work permit can apply.||Fee|
|Adult||SEK 1,500(12,554 INR)|
|Children under 18 years of age||SEK 750(6,277 INR)|
Extending a Work Permit in Sweden
If you have a work permit and wish to continue working after it expires, you will need to apply for a work permit extension. If you’ve had a permit as an employee for at least six months and apply before your current permit expires, you’re allowed to continue working while you wait for a decision.
Your wage and other terms of employment must have been at least equivalent to what is indicated in the collective agreement or is considered standard practice in your profession or industry to extend your work visa. You must also have worked to the point where your monthly earnings were at least SEK 13,000(108,805 INR) before taxes. These requirements must have been met throughout your term in Sweden as a work visa holder.
For the entire time you had a work permit in Sweden, you must have been covered by health insurance, life insurance, occupational injury insurance, and occupational pension insurance.
When applying for a work permit extension, you must show that all of the criteria of the work permit have been met throughout your tenure in Sweden. You must also demonstrate that you have been offered a job that meets the requirements for obtaining a work permit.
You can request a permit extension online. Apply four months before your current permission expires at the earliest. While your present permit is still valid, you should submit your application.
Sweden Business Visa
The Swedish government offers business visas for foreign nationals to encourage new businesses and entrepreneurs to settle in the country. The duration of the Business Visa in Sweden is 3 months or 90 days and the cost of the visa is INR 8,040. The eligibility criteria for business visas in Sweden is:
- Purpose: As s foreign national you must possess a valid reason and good intent to apply for Business Visa in Sweden.
- Sufficient Funds: You must possess sufficient funds to support yourself and any dependents throughout the stay.
- Must Return: As foreign nationals, candidates are required to show the Visa office that they will return to their home country after their visa has expired.
- Character Certificate: You must have a clean criminal track record and be of good character. Applicants are required to submit a PCC (Police Clearance Certificate) for the same.
- Good Health: You must at least meet the minimum health requirements required by the authorities.
- Local Sponsors: You must possess a valid invitation from a genuine company located in the country with whom you are/will be doing business.
Documents Required for Swedish Business Visa
To apply for a Swedish business visa, you will need:
- a valid passport (valid for at least six months);
- a Swedish business visa application form;
- two passport photographs;
- a resident visa;
- a bank statement;
- income tax return:
- health insurance;
- proof of travel insurance;
- business references including an invitation from the Swedish company or organization;
- proof of a Swedish hotel reservation and an airline booking for Sweden.
Your application must be submitted before your work permit expires. If your application is for the same employer and profession as the one for which you already hold a permit, you should submit it no more than four months before it expires. It is occasionally required to apply before your work permit expires if you are changing occupations or employers.
If you believe your application is taking too long to be processed, you can submit a formal request to the Swedish Migration Agency to have your case closed. Four months must have passed since you submitted your application before you can submit a request to the Swedish Migration Agency. The Swedish Migration Agency must then decide whether to accept or reject your application within four weeks.
You must submit a written request to the Swedish Migration Agency to have your case closed. Please fill out and send the form Request to close a case (number 271011) to the Swedish Migration Agency. In each scenario, you can only submit one request.
You can run your own business while working in Sweden if you have a work permit and a residency permit. Your employment must be the primary reason for your visit to Sweden, and the requirements for your work permit must be met. The company’s earnings will not be considered when determining whether the work permit’s restrictions have been met.
If you are a partner in a limited company, you must own at least 50% of the shares to administer the business while continuing to work full-time. The reason for this is that you might otherwise be mistaken for a company employee rather than a business owner.
If you are planning to study and work in the country then a Sweden Work Permit is a must for Indians. Have more doubts regarding the process? Drop us a comment below and we will answer all your questions regarding the Swedish visa application process!