Whether you are pondering about how to study abroad or are planning to settle there, as a part of your visa and university requirements, you have to qualify the proficiency tests like IELTS. International English Language Proficiency Testing System (IELTS) is one of the most renowned English proficiency tests which has to be taken by students belonging to countries where English is not an official language. This is one of the conditions to attain overseas education. There are two variants of the test; IELTS General Training and Academic and depending on your purpose of visit, you can choose the variant. IELTS evaluates candidates on 4 basic parameters namely, Reading, Speaking, Listening and Writing. Out of all the four sections, writing is considered to be the trickiest one wherein lengthy essay questions can baffle you. So, if you are also looking for the answer to “What kind of essays are asked in IELTS?” then don’t worry. Here is a blog on IELTS essay topics for all aspirants who are preparing for the IELTS 2023 examination.
This Blog Includes:
- IELTS Essay Topics on Culture and Tradition
- IELTS Essay Topics on Environment
- Topics on Media
- IELTS Essay Topics Related to Education
- Topics on Society
- IELTS Essay Topics Related to Food and Eating Habits
- Topics on Communication and Personality
- IELTS Essay Topics Related to Crime and Punishment
- Other Questions
- Types of IELTS Essays
- How to Answer Task 2 Essays in IELTS Writing Section?
- Tips for IELTS Writing Task 2
Subscribe to Leverage IELTS for more such information
IELTS Essay Topics on Culture and Tradition
- Just like the government spends funds on music and theatre, it does the same on arts too which is considered a waste of money. Don’t you think that the government should spend more on revamping public services? Do you agree? If no, then why?
- Many monuments, which are a part of our cultural diversity are protected and reconstructed by law. A few people think these structures should be destroyed and something new should be constructed. How important is it to put more effort into monuments maintenance? Do you think that through their maintenance, history is coming in the way of progress?
IELTS Essay Topics on Environment
- According to you, what are the major problems due to which developed countries have become the major contributors to global warming? What are the main problems leading to global warming?
- One of the most critical issues that the environment is facing is that of global warming. What are the measures the government can take to reduce such issues?
- Overpopulation in the country is a serious issue that has given rise to numerous problems. Elaborate one or two serious issues and give a plausible solution for them which governments can implement.
Topics on Media
- Do you believe that the celebrities are ill-treated by media or it is the price they have to pay for their stardom? Regardless of fame, their privacy should be respected or not?
- Media has unintentionally left a negative impact on children. Often, they end up watching violence which is not advised at such a tender age. Do you agree or disagree with this?
- What are your views on the false means of advertising used by media agencies?
- What is the impact of computer games on the children of today? Is it helping their development or making them worse? Why and why not? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
- Successful sportsmen can earn a great deal more than people in other important professions. Some people think this is fully justified while others think it is unfair. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
- Some people believe that advertising has a strong effect on a person’s decision-making process. Others feel that it has little or no real impact. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
- Education is a fundamental right. Thus, it should be free of cost for everyone regardless of personal wealth. Do you agree or disagree with it?
- While few people believe that the education provided by universities helps graduates get better jobs. Others think that there are many wider advantages of education through universities. Elucidate upon these views and give your opinion.
- Do you align with the thought that educational activities must be incorporated in children’s free time? What do you think about this argument?
- Co-ed schools are considered better than boys and girls being educated separately. Discuss both sides and give your own opinion.
Topics on Society
- It is observed in many countries that women do not feel the need to get married. Locals believe that women have started earning and have become independent as they have their own source of income, thus, they do not require the financial security that marriage brings. Up to what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
- It is always believed that globalisation has both advantages as well as disadvantages. State prominent advantages as well as disadvantages as per your opinion.
- Over the last decade, it was majorly seen that people were eager to move from rural areas towards the urban areas. What do you think has caused this? What problems can this bring up?
- Every culture around us has made its mark in history in one or the other way. Why do you think it is important to familiarise the next generation with history?
- Some people spend more and some spend less for wedding parties, birthday parties and other celebrations? Is it a waste of money or a social requirement? Include specific details and examples to support your choice.
- Some people believe that in the near future there will be no borders between countries, while others feel that national borders will always remain. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
- Teenage years are the happiest times of most people’s lives. Others think that adult life brings more happiness in spite of greater responsibilities. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
- Many children around us are obese and overweight. What according to you has led to this common problem amongst the children? What measures can be taken to resolve this?
- To cope up with the pace of the fast moving world, many of us have now started to replace main meals with fast food. What according to you are the advantages of this step that have outweigh the disadvantages?
- Over the past few years, the media has portrayed the image of a young woman as a thin lady. What according to you are the problems caused by this conception?
- Due to the severe repercussions of eating fast food on a daily basis, some people think that the only way to prevent this is to ban fast food. Do you agree or disagree with the statement?
- In many countries, fast food is becoming cheaper and more widely available. Do the disadvantages of this outweigh the advantages?
- People often argue that eating junk food has led to an unhealthy lifestyle. This problem has become more common among young people these days. Do you agree or disagree that junk food is the cause of the issue?
- Governments in many countries have recently introduced special taxes on foods and beverages with high levels of sugar. Some think these taxes are a good idea while others disagree. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Today’s society provides people with various ways to lose weight, such as special diets or exercise regimes. Many people believe though that poor food and today’s lifestyle should be addressed first. What is your opinion?
- In many countries today, the eating habits and lifestyles of children are different from those of previous generations. Some people say this has had a negative effect on their healthIn many countries today, the eating habits and lifestyles of children are different from those of previous generations. Some people say this has had a negative effect on their health. What is your opinion?
Topics on Communication and Personality
- Some people fail in school but end up being successful in life. What do you think is important in life- performing well in school or being successful after school?
- With the advent of the internet, texting has become the modern way of communicating due to which face to face communication will become a thing of the past. Upto what extent do you agree?
- With the help of the internet, many people have now started to communicate with others online comfortably rather than confronting them face to face. According to you, what are the advantages as well as disadvantages of communicating online?
- Due to frequent slangs or short forms used in the modern way of texting, people have started believing that this is the death of grammar and spelling. Discuss both the sides of the argument.
- New-age Celebrities from Instagram and Tik-tok are more famous for their glamourous lifestyle than their achievements. Does this affect the children who follow them. State your opinion.
- Some people prefer to keep their private life separate from their work while others spend their leisure time with their colleagues. Discuss both views and give your opinion
- People believe that certain criminals should be made to do community service instead of putting them behind the bars. Up to what extent do you agree?
- To what extent do you think that technology has played a role in decreasing the crime rate?
- In some societies the crime rate committed by teenagers is increasing. Thus, the people believe that they should receive punishments like adults. According to you what are the disadvantages of it?
- Do you agree or disagree with having more police on the streets will decrease the overall crime rate of a country?
- Studies show that most young children who commit crimes have been abused in some way by their parents.
- Many studies show that poor people are more likely to be involved in petty and serious crimes than people who come from higher income groups. Do you agree?
- What is the importance of stable family structures in preventing crime in a country. State your opinion.
Apart from these category wise questions, here are some other general IELTS essay topics:
- Some people believe that one of the most beneficial inventions like mobile phones has somehow disrupted our social lives. What is your view on this statement?
- Being a young mind, do you agree that people should take advice from elders rather than from the younger ones? Support your answer with valuable points
- The increasing dependency of people on their mobile phones is a positive or negative development in society?
- Some people think that wearing a uniform at work is essential whereas others think that it is unnecessary. Present your views on both sides of the argument.
- Have you ever lived away from your parents? Describe your living situation and explain its advantages and disadvantages. Include specific details and examples to support your choice.
- Some people prefer to work in the same type of job throughout their lifetime while others like to change the type of job they do. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Some people think that illegal Internet downloads are having a negative effect on the music industry. Others feel that they have little or no impact on artists. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
- People who read for pleasure in their free time have a better imagination than those who prefer to watch TV. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Children often complain that history lessons are boring because they are about a past that is dead. How can schools bring history alive for pupils?
- People are waiting until their thirties to get married and have children these days. Do you think this is a positive or negative development?
Types of IELTS Essays
IELTS essay themes are typically divided into a number of categories. The following sorts of essays are common in the IELTS exam:
You must express your thoughts on the suggested subject in this essay genre. Naturally, having prior knowledge of common subjects that are frequently included in the IELTS exam is the ideal method to achieve high marks in such essays.
- Most teenagers today own a smartphone. Provide your opinion to discuss the advantages and disadvantages.
- Crime novels and TV series have become quite popular in recent years. What is your opinion about these crime dramas?
- Developing nations often require international assistance. Many believe that this assistance should be monetary, while some think practical help and advice would be more beneficial. Discuss both these views along with your opinion.
- Many consider automobiles to be the biggest source of pollution in urban areas, while some believe industries are responsible for it. Explain both views and provide your opinion.
- Many people believe individuals involved with creative arts should be financially supported by the government. Some others believe they should find separate resources. Discuss each of the views and give your opinion.
- Some believe success in life comes from hard work, dedication, and motivation. While many believe success depends on other important factors like money and appearance. Discuss both views and provide your opinion.
- Many think that governments should fund programs in search of life on other planets. However, others believe governments should focus on unresolved issues on the planet. Provide your opinion and discuss both views.
In the case of discussion essays, the candidates need to put forward an explanation for or against any given topic. Such essays are the most common to appear in the IELTS exam.
- Many believe living in big cities comes with more advantages than residing in the countryside. Do you agree or disagree with this?
- The shopping habits of people depend more on their age group than on any other factors. Do you agree or disagree with this?
- More and more children and minors are becoming overweight in developed nations. This is a major problem for most wealthy countries. Explain the causes and impacts of this issue.
- The internet is a great invention that brings a host of advantages for the world population. However, there are several issues in terms of security and control of personal data. Do you agree or disagree with this?
- Advertising prevents the originality in people and makes them look the same and do the same. Do you agree or disagree with this?
- Parents today often tend to organise extra classes on weekends or even after school. Do you believe this is at all useful? Or, do you think the education provided in school is sufficient?
- Some people believe that capital punishment should be done away with. Do you agree or disagree with this?
For solution essays, you will have to provide a solution to a particular issue. At times, questions might be provided as to why a specific issue has occurred, and candidates have to provide their opinion on the answer.
- The massive movement of people from agricultural areas to cities in search of employment can lead to serious problems in both places. What are the problems, and how can these be solved?
Advantage or Disadvantage Essays
In this type of essay, students have to write about a particular topic’s positive and negative sides. Such essays test your argument construction skills and how well you can use English to communicate your views as clearly and coherently as possible.
- International tourism has greatly benefited many places. However, there have been major concerns about its impact on the local environment and inhabitants. Do the negative impacts of international tourism outweigh the benefits?
- Some countries have recently passed laws to restrict daily working hours of employees. Explain whether this will have a positive or negative impact.
- More and more people today are visiting extreme places such as Antarctica or the Sahara desert. What are the advantages or disadvantages of such travels?
- Social media is gradually replacing in-person face-to-face contact with many people worldwide. Do the benefits of social media outweigh the disadvantages?
Direct Question Essays
For this type of essay, the topics will be provided as direct questions, which students have to answer based on their experiences and thoughts.
- Shopping used to be a routine domestic task in the past. However, today, it has become more of a hobby. Is this a positive trend?
How to Answer Task 2 Essays in IELTS Writing Section?
The strategies listed below can help students improve their capacity for answering essays in the Writing portion.
- Read and comprehend the question: Reading and comprehending the question thoroughly is the first step to writing task 2 essays with ease. Candidates typically respond to questions without fully understanding what is being asked of them. Candidates should thoroughly examine the question, determine the question’s type, and make an effort to determine its keywords. Finally, they should ensure that they fully comprehend the directions before attempting to respond. Candidates should thoroughly examine the question, determine the question’s type, and make an effort to determine its keywords. Finally, they should ensure that they fully comprehend the directions before attempting to respond.
- Plan the solution: Students must plan the format of their responses after fully comprehending the question. Candidates will be able to organise their thoughts and present a concise and well-rounded response as a result.
- Writing a Strong Introduction: An overview of the essay’s topic should be provided in the introduction. Make sure to draught a good start that summarises the article.
- Carefully curate the main body: The essay’s main body is where you must present all of the important information. Make your points in accordance with this and support them with justifications, examples, and other pertinent information. Once finished, you must provide a suitable summary.
Tips for IELTS Writing Task 2
The following advice can help candidates ace the IELTS Writing test:
- Be sure to go outside the box for solutions.
- There are two questions in the 60-minute Writing segment of the test. In order to easily respond to both questions within the allotted time, one should practise time management skills.
- Make as many connections as you can between the given topic and reality and current events.
- Avoid writing in a single paragraph at all costs. Where necessary, try to divide the divisions, and learn to connect each paragraph.
Thus, we hope that this blog on IELTS essay topics has now brought some clarity on what type of questions can be asked from you during the exam. To get some helpful tips and tricks on how to crack the IELTS exam in order to get a better band score, enrol in Leverage Edu’s IELTS coaching in Rohini/Delhi/Bangalore/Noida and other such places and where our experts will guide in your preparation!