In the current atmosphere where online channels are being explicitly used to promote and sell products and create a market, eCommerce Marketing has arisen to be a prime area of study. Involving the task of driving online traffic to the marketplace that the business has created, this process makes full use of digital electronic platforms. Hence, with the astounding usage of social media, email campaigns, and mobile apps, eCommerce experts employ different marketing techniques like Search Engine Optimization, Content Marketing, Pay per click(PPC) advertising, optimizing webpage, publishing relevant blog posts, advertising on different mediums through guest posts, etc, to attract consumers. So, if you have the passion and the requisite marketing competencies or want to equip yourself with skills to translate every visitor into a customer and transcend the traditional bounds of marketing, then building a career in Digital Marketing can be a suitable option. In this blog, you will get an overview of the different aspects of eCommerce Marketing.
This Blog Includes:
eCommerce Marketing Models
As simple as it sounds, eCommerce Marketing apart from the foundational knowldege needs a well planned practical approach to increase the customer base. And the very first step towards this is to understand the consumer market and how it works. Listed below are the major business models which one must be aware of:
- B2C – Business to Consumer: This refers to selling products directly to end-users i.e. consumers. Typical examples include Hotstar, Nestle, Apple, etc.
- B2B – Business to Business: As the name suggests, the goods and services like raw materials are sold between businesses under this model. Categorized into vertical and horizontal, Apple’s transactions with Intel is a typical example of this eCommerce Marketing model.
- C2C – Consumer to Consumer: In this, the commercial transaction takes place between customers in an online environment. Olx, eBay, etc are the most suitable examples.
- C2B – Consumer to Business: The C2B eCommerce Marketing model is where the consumers can ask a particular business like that of marketing services to complete their tasks.
Pursuing a career in eCommerce Marketing involves the adeptness at creating content and strategies that reverberates with the visitors. Hence, you can consider a few of the courses on certificate/diploma, undergraduate, postgraduate and doctorate level. The duration of the Bachelor’s course is around 3-4 years, Master’s course is 1-2 years and Doctoral course is 3-6 years. Thes Digital Marketing course syllabus covers important areas of study such as e-Commerce Business Models and Concepts, E-Commerce Infrastructure, Creative Applications, E-Commerce Security and Ethical Issues, SEO, etc. Some of the most opted courses are:
- BS in Managing E-Commerce
- Bachelor of Applied Science in Internet and Web Development
- Graduate Certificate in Digital Audiences
- MSc Digital Business
- MSc in Electronic Commerce
- MSc E-Business Management
- MSc E-Business and Innovation
- PGD in E-Business and Innovation
- Master of Electronic Business Technologies
- MSc Digital Business Enterprise Management
- MSc in Electronic Business Technologies
- MSc in Digital Marketing Strategy
- Master of Professional Studies in Analytics
- MSc in Electronic Business and Knowledge Management
- MSc in Computation for Design and Optimization
- MSc in E-Commerce and Logistics Technologies
- PhD in Algorithms, Combinatorics, and Optimization
- PhD in Electronic Business
Also Read: Digital Marketing jobs for freshers
eCommerce Marketing: Top Universities
Apart from providing quality education, being enrolled in the top of the line institutions around the world has its benefits like access to experienced academic staff, skill development activities, healthy work environment, and good infrastructure. Here are a few of the top universities offering courses which are related to eCommerce Marketing:
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of Warwick
- University of Southampton
- Trinity College Dublin
- Monash University
- City University of Hong Kong
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- University of Ottawa
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- The University of Sydney
- Arizona State University
- Lancaster University
- University of Liverpool
- North Eastern University
Prospective Career Paths
With truckloads of opportunities available in this career pathway, having the right set of skills by your side can help you do wonders. So, if you have the zeal to become a professional having a deep understanding of data collection, data analytics, product design, and web layout, writing, content marketing, advertising, and market automation, etc then the following portfolios and the highly rewarding industries in eCommerce Marketing might interest you:
|ECommerce Marketing Industries||ECommerce Marketing Job Profiles|
|Financial Services||Data Scientist|
|Multimedia and Publishing||Financial Trader|
|Digital Marketing||ECommerce Marketing Director|
|Public Affairs||External Auditor|
|Internet and Media||Marketing Executive|
|Software and Networking||Market Analyst|
|Media Planning||Sales Manager|
|Event Management||Public Relations Officer|
|Web Architecture||Supply Chain Manager|
|Sales and Operations||Business Developer|
The top multinational companies around the who recruit the maximum number of people in the field of eCommerce Marketing are:
- B2W Companhia Digital
[BONUS]: eCommerce Marketing Strategies
While understanding the basics of eCommerce marketing is essential, using it practically can bring out the actual results. Enlisted are some of the major tips you can use to attract customers to your website:
- Create reader-friendly content that can help generate backlinks.
- Discounts for new customers and offers for all.
- Add a proper product description, reviews and rating sections on the website.
- Optimize Content Marketing plans and websites for both laptop and smartphone users.
- Use Social Media accounts like that on Instagram and Facebook to market the products.
- Optimize the checkout process so as to make the purchase smooth and hassle-free.
- Use eMail marketing to notify the customers when they subscribe, to send their invoices, shipment tracking, and promotional offers.
- Remodel the retargeting techniques so as to bring bounced traffic back to the site.
In this increasingly global and digital world, building a career in eCommerce Marketing can be fruitful. If you are planning to pursue marketing courses abroad but are confused about which program to study then take the assistance of Leverage Edu’s AI-based tool which will curate a list of some of the best courses and the universities of your choice based on your skills and competencies.