Many of us like to play with numbers whereas others feel stuck amidst the quantitative confusions. Similarly, moving on to the secondary and then senior secondary stage, the curriculum and syllabus of Mathematics goes more towards an advanced level. It aims to establish a firm foundation of quantitative concepts that are further progressed in the next grades. Also, mathematics as a subject is compulsory in a majority of popular courses like Bcom (Hons), Engineering, BSc Statistics, BSc/BA Mathematics, etc. and this is why it becomes important to strengthen your basics at the grass-root level. Through this blog, we will be elucidating the class 9 maths syllabus as well as its central concepts and elements.
Let’s take a look at the course structure of class 9 maths syllabus:
|VI||Statistics & Probability||10|
This Blog Includes:
Unit I: Number System
The first unit of class 9 maths syllabus strives to provide a detailed knowledge about-
- Representation of natural numbers, rational numbers, integers, non-terminating recurring decimals, etc.
- Representation of non-rational (irrational) and rational numbers on the number line, points on the number line represents a unique real number etc.
- Definition of nth root of a real number
- Rationalization of real numbers of the type, etc.
Unit II: Algebra
Algebra forms the basic foundation of varied advanced mathematical concepts like calculus, integration, etc. Meanwhile, in class 9 maths syllabus, the pivotal topics include:
- Polynomials: Examples, types and definitions of various types of polynomials with one variable, degree of a polynomial, zeros of a polynomial, algebraic identities and expressions, remainder theorem, quadratic and cubic polynomial etc
- Linear Equations: Explanation of linear equation in two variables, plotting a line on the graph, graph on linear equations in two variables along with an algebraic solution etc
Unit III: Coordinate Geometry
Included as a core part of the quant syllabus of many competitive syllabus, Coordinate Geometry forms a blend between algebra and geometry. The cartesian plane, plotting points on a plane, terms associated with coordinate geometry, coordinates of a point etc are some of the major topics under this unit of class 9 maths syllabus.
Unit IV: Geometry
As a foundational component of varied quantitative topics, Geometry elucidates the following pointers:
- Introduction to Euclid’s Geometry: Five Postulates of Euclid’s, the relationship between axiom and theorem, Euclid’s method of formalizing observed phenomenon into mathematics etc.
- Lines and Angles: Prove that two lines intersect, vertically opposite angles are equal, the total sum of angles of a triangle is 180°, concepts of parallel lines etc.
- Triangles: Congruency of triangles, angles sum properties like SSS, SAS, ASA, angles opposite to equal sides are equal etc.
- Quadrilaterals: Parallel sides of a parallelogram are equal, division of parallelogram into two congruent triangles, diagonals of a parallelogram bisect each other and conversely etc.
- Area: Triangles on the same base and between the same parallels are equal in area, parallelograms on the same base between the same parallel lines have equal area are the important topics of class 9 maths syllabus.
- Circles: Definitions of the circles and concept of radius, chord, sector, segment, arc etc, there is one and only one circle passing through three non-collinear given points, angles in the same segment of the circle are equal etc.
- Constructions: Construction of a triangle its given base, construction of triangle on a given perimeter and base angles, a difference of two sides and one base angle etc.
Unit V: Mensuration
Focusing on the calculations of geometric shapes and their areas and other measurement matrics, Mensuration aims to elaborate upon the below-given topics of class 9 maths syllabus:
- Area: Calculating the area of a triangle using the Heron’s Formulae along with its applications etc
- Surface Areas and Volumes: Evaluating the volume, surface area of spheres, cubes, cuboids, circular cylinders etc.
Unit VI: Statistics and Probability
Another incremental concept in Class 9 Maths syllabus encompasses the analysis of numerical data which further assists in assessing the accuracy of an argument supported by some information or data. Here are some essentials topics of this unit of mathematics:
- Statistics: Presentation of data- tabular form, bar graphs, histograms, frequency polygons etc., mean, median and mode etc
- Probability: Empirical probability, experiments to be taken from real-life situations etc.
CBSE Class 9 Maths Syllabus 2020-21 Deleted
The portions that have been eliminated for the academic year 2020-2021 are-
|Real Numbers||-Explaining that every real number is represented by a unique point on the number line and its converse
-Representation of non-terminating/ terminating recurring decimals on the number line through successive magnification.
-Defining the nth root of a real number
|Polynomials||-Statement and proof of the Factor Theorem: x3+y3+z3+3xyz
-Motivate and State the Remainder Theorem with examples.
|Linear Equations in Two Variables||Examples and problems on Ratio and Proportion|
|Introduction to Euclid’s Geometery||Deleted|
|Triangles||-Proof of the theorem “Two triangles are congruent if any two angles and the included side of one triangle is equal to any”- Deleted
– The relation between ‘angle and facing side’ and the complete inequalities in triangles
-Two angles and the included side of the other triangle (ASA Congruence)
|Circles||-If a line segment joining two points subtends equal angle at two other points lying on the same side of the line containing the segment, the four points lie on a circle.
-There is one and only one circle passing through three given non-collinear points.
|Constructions||Construction of a triangle of given base angles and perimeter.|
|Area||Application of Heron’s Formula in finding the area of a quadrilateral|
-Histograms (with different base lengths)
-Mean, Median and Mode of ungrouped data
Related Read: GMAT Probability Questions
Don’t Forget to Check Out Our Exclusive CBSE Guides on Class 9 & 10:
Thus, we hope that this valuable blog about has helped you in getting an insightful analysis of class 9 maths syllabus. If you are sceptical which stream to choose after class 10th, reach out to our experts at Leverage Edu and we will guide you in sorting out your interests and preferences and finding the right stream of study which aligns with your aspirations and assists you in progressing towards your dream career.