The world’s most celebrated departments for Psychology and Behavioral Research are located in the UK! UK universities are known for offering flexible and British Psychological Society-accredited psychology programs in a range of specializations like child psychology, health, forensic and more! Studying in the UK at its best universities is an opportunity to work in world-class labs, under the mentorship of leading experts and scholars in the field of psychology and working with top recruiters like Nestlé, Work Psychology Group, and Impact Consulting Psychologists.
This Blog Includes:
- Why Study Psychology in the UK?
- Best Universities for Psychology in UK
- List of Courses
- Eligibility Criteria
- Application Process
- Average Cost of Studying Psychology in the UK
Why Study Psychology in the UK?
- The courses in the UK are student-first in nature. There are different specialisation courses in psychology available both at the undergraduate and postgraduate level, internships as well as various student clubs and societies for a holistic development of the student.
- There are a number of different fields of psychology that can be chosen from. Some of them are- child psychology, clinical psychology, developmental psychology, educational psychology, etc.
- Deep immersion in theory is complemented with the chance of undertaking your own research. From observing live subjects and conducting experiments on your own, a large number of the latest computation and modelling techniques will be accessible to you.
- A number of different transferable skills such as analysis, statistics and research can be gained here.
- Great opportunity for career expansion in psychology and work with leading business, consultancy firms, NGOs, schools The top recruiters in psychology are PWC, Deloitte, Nestle, Work Psychology Group and Impact Consulting Psychologists and more!
Best Universities for Psychology in UK
Let’s look at some of the top 10 universities offering psychology degrees in the UK:
|Universities||QS World Rankings for Psychology 2021|
|University of Oxford||3|
|University of Cambridge||4|
|King’s College London||=20|
|London School of Economics and Political Science||=24|
|University of Edinburgh||33|
|University of Manchester||34|
|University of Warwick||62|
|University of Exeter||=67|
University College, London
University College of London is known for its high research output and is highly recognized for its academic excellence and worldwide impact. It offers a wide variety of courses ranging from BSc in Psychology, MSc in Psychology, Psychology with education, Psychology and Language sciences to name just a few.
University of Bath
The University of Bath has a multicultural community of students who are keen on learning by sharing knowledge with each other. It is one of the best Universities in the UK, especially for research and teaching. It offers the basic BSc and MSc in psychology and also provides the option of studying applied forensic psychology, clinical psychology, etc.
University of Oxford
Other than being one of the leading Universities in the world, it provides one of the most world-class experiences in study and research. Programs of psychology that are offered here don’t just provide you with education, but an overall experience. BSc, MSC, experimental psychology, and various PhD programs are also offered in the field of psychology.
University of Cambridge
The University of Cambridge is another world-renowned University that has an extremely well-equipped Department of Psychology called the Adaptive Brain Lab. BSc, MSc, PhD, and MPhil programs are all offered in various fields of psychology.
King’s College London
King’s College, London is ranked as the top 10 UK Universities in the world and is based in the heart of London. Neurosciences and psychology, health psychology, organisational psychiatry along with the basic BSc and MSc courses in psychology are available here.
University of Edinburgh
The University of Edinburgh is based in Scotland. It is a leading international university and has been ranked as 20th in the world and 5th in the UK. The courses in psychology that are offered here are very prestigious and amongst some of the best in the world.
University of Manchester
The University of Manchester has a very well-equipped department of psychology that contains leading researchers and clinicians. The units have been designed by keeping employability in mind and will work for the enhancement of skills such as teamwork, communication and leadership.
List of Courses
- BA Psychology (Experimental)
- BA Psychology, Philosophy and Linguistics
- BSc Psychology
- Animal Behaviour MSc
- Psychology (Conversion) MSc
- Psychological Research Methods MSc
- Psychological Therapies Practice and Research MSc
- Social and Organisational Psychology MSc
- Clinical Associate in Psychology Degree Apprenticeship
- MSc in Psychological Research
- MSc in Social Psychology
- MSc in Clinical Psychology
- MSc Social and Cultural Psychology
- MSc in Organisational and Social Psychology
- Undergraduate Level: It is highly recommended for candidates to have studied one or more science subjects (which can include Psychology) or Mathematics to A-level, Advanced Higher, Higher Level in the IB or another equivalent.
- Postgraduate Level: Universities usually require a minimum 2:1 Honours degree. Some may require students to have a science background or may require Psychology as a part of their UG syllabus. Some universities require no specific subjects.
- English Proficiency tests like IELTS, TOEFL and Cambridge test are mandatory if the candidate’s first language is not English. (A minimum band score of 6 IELTS band is required)
- Students may be required to sit for a university entrance test conducted by the university. For instance, Oxford University administers a test for its programs like TSA (Thinking Skills Assessment).
As a rule of thumb, a number of steps have to be followed very carefully when applying to the best Universities in the UK. Some of the steps of the application process are listed below:
- Collect your college transcripts or final mark sheet of 12th before starting the process.
- Make sure you have your passport handy and are able to fill in all the information according to the same.
- A Statement of Purpose with one or more essays will be required to understand your reason for studying psychology from a particular university.
- The first step will be to decide on the college or university along with the course you wish to study
- Register onto the website of the University and start your application process by filling in all your information.
- When you are offered a seat in the course you applied to, accept the offer and begin arranging for the funding.
- After this, the visa application process begins.
Must Read: Universities in London for Marketing Courses
Average Cost of Studying Psychology in the UK
|Course||Fees (in GBP)||Fees (In rupees)|
|BSc in Psychology||20000-30000 GBP per annum||20-30 lakhs per annum|
|MSc in Psychology||25000-350000 GBP per annum||25-35 lakhs per annum|
|PhD in Psychology||22000-400000 GBP per annum||22 lakhs to 40 lakhs per annum|
Want to study in the best universities for psychology in UK? Sign up for a free session with our Leverage Edu experts on 1800 572 000 and be an early bird applicant for September 22 intake!