Australia is well known globally for its world-class education system. Regulatory bodies like ASQA, AQF and TEQSA, are responsible for maintaining the quality of education in Australia. Australia is ranked among the top three destinations, where students can pursue higher studies. In the past few years, architecture has emerged as a career in demand, with many aspirants wishing to explore architecture as a career. Architecture schools in Australia are globally acknowledged and known for offering promising architecture courses. If you wish to study in Australia and want to know more about Architecture Schools in Australia, read on.
Must Read: Honest Study in Australia Reviews
This Blog Includes:
- Architecture In Australia
- Top Architecture Schools In Australia
- University Of Melbourne
- University Of Sydney
- University Of South Wales
- RMIT University
- Architecture Schools In Australia – Degrees And Specialization
- Eligibility Criteria
- Course Wise Eligibility
- Essential Documents
- Admission Procedure
- Fees Structure
- Scholarship / Financial Assistance Available
- Scope And Job Prospects
Architecture In Australia
If you are wondering why study in Australia, we must tell you that universities in Australia are considered one of the world’s best. With about 80 colleges in total offering higher education in architecture in Australia, 4 are ranked within the top 50 Universities for pursuing architecture, and around 10 occupy rankings within the top 100 Architecture Schools in Australia by QS World Ranking. The Australian Architecture Schools receive nearly 700 new enrolments every year.
Top Architecture Schools In Australia
Though there are a number of architecture schools in Australia offering a wide range of courses, listed below are some of the top architecture schools in Australia. You can have a look here:
|University||QS World Ranking 2021|
|University of Melbourne||41|
|University of Sydney||40|
|The University of South Wales||44|
|University Of Queensland||46|
|University Of Adelaide||106|
|University Of Western Australia||92|
Let’s discuss these colleges in detail.
University Of Melbourne
The University of Melbourne is the second oldest university, founded in 1853 by Hugh Culling Eardley Childers. It is ranked as the top university in Australia. There are nearly 36% of international students making it a total of 19995 approximately. The yearly hostel and meals expenses are nearly INR 9.9 Lakhs.
University Of Sydney
The University of Sydney is an open research university established in the year 1850. In 1858, it received a Royal Charter from Queen Victoria, thus making the degrees provided by this university equivalent to those of the United Kingdom. The yearly hostel and mess fees are nearly equal to INR 17 Lakhs.
University Of South Wales
Previously known as the University of Glamorgan, University of South Wales was founded in the year 2013, the origin of the public university can be traced back to 1841. International students from nearly 120 countries attend this university. The yearly hostel and meal expenses are INR 3.5 Lakhs.
Located in Melbourne, Australia, the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology was founded in 1887. It receives nearly 87,000 student enrolments every year, of which nearly 34,000 are international students. The yearly hostel and meal expenses account to INR 7.2 Lakhs.
Architecture Schools In Australia – Degrees And Specialization
Architecture schools in Australia offer various degrees. Listed below are the three main degrees offered by Architecture Schools in Australia –
- Graduate – This program extends for 2 years
- Undergraduate – This program is of 3 years
- Doctoral – This program is of 4 years.
The different kind of specializations available and top architecture courses are tabulated below :
|Construction Management||Architectural Engineering|
|Civil Engineering||Property Valuation|
|Urban Designing||Urban and Regional Planning|
|Garden Design||Property Planning|
|Interior Design||Landscape Architecture|
|Illumination Design||Green Infrastructure|
|Lighting. Design and technology||Urban Horticulture|
For pursuing a degree in Architecture schools in Australia, you need to qualify the eligibility criteria. Listed below are the important criteria.
- A score of 80% or above from any recognized board.
- English Language Proficiency Test such as IELTS, TOEFL, PTE. etc. A candidate must score 78 or more in TOEFL and 6.5 in IELTS.
- Decent scores in the entrance tests
- Few Australian schools consider math as a compulsory subject in the previously attended institute.
Course Wise Eligibility
Architecture schools in Australia offer various degrees – undergraduate, post graduate and doctorate. Let’s look at the degree wise eligibility –
- A score of 80% or above from any recognized board.
- English Language Proficiency Test such as IELTS, TOEFL, PTE. etc. A candidate must score 78 or more in TOEFL and 6.5 in IELTS.For PTE, it is 58 for a candidate.
Top Bachelor’s Course by Architecture Australian Universities
We have listed the top Bachelors courses offered bu Australian Architecture Universities. These courses are 3 years long.
- Bachelor of Architecture and Built Environment- University of Tasmania
- Bachelor of Architecture: Landscape Architecture and Design – University of Newcastle
- Bachelor of Interior Architecture -University of Canberra
- Students must have a B. Arch or equivalent undergraduate degree with a score of 70-75%.
- Students with experience of project handling or a diploma or a certificate are at a better advantage.
- Students from related fields can also apply.
- Qualifying score in language proficiency tests must be –
- IELTS score: 7-6.5
- TOEFL – 97-76
- PTE – 64-58
Top Masters Course by Architecture Australian Universities –
We have listed the top Masters courses offered bu Australian Architecture Universities. These courses are 2 years long.
- Master of Landscape Architecture – University of Tasmania
- Master of Architecture – University of New South Wales
- Master of Architecture – University of Newcastle
- Master of Architecture: Landscape and Design – University of Canberra
- Students must have a masters degree in the relevant field from any recognized university
- Students must have a score of 70% or above in both bachelors and masters.
- Students with project samples from previous work experience have an added advantage
Top PhD Course by Architecture Australian Universities
We have listed the top PhD courses offered bu Australian Architecture Universities. These courses are 4 years long.
- PhD in Architecture and Building – James Cook University
- PhD in Built Environment – University of New South Wales
- PhD in Art, Design and Architecture – Monash University
- Art, Design and Architecture PhD – University of Technology, Sydney
There are certain important documents required which you need to submit to the school once you qualify the eligibility criteria. The important documents required are mentioned below.
- Marksheet of passing exams
- Statement of Purpose
- Letter of Recommendation issued by the previously attended institutes
- Leaving Certificate
- Any diploma certificate, if applicable
Universities in Australia have their own minimum eligibility criteria. Admission intakes are usually taken in February and July months. To get admission in architecture schools in Australia, candidates must constantly check with the university pages to make sure they don’t miss out on the deadlines. Candidates must also be prepared with the list of documentations considered necessary for the application process.
The annual tuition fees range for architecture schools in Australia are from AUD 28,000 to AUD 60,000 (INR 15,64,628 to INR 33,52,774). For international students, Australia’s government provides students with financial assistance by reducing tuition fees by 30-40%. This, however, does not include living expenses. The living expenses that include food, social activities and accommodation, is about AUD 1400 to AUD 2500 monthly.
Scholarship / Financial Assistance Available
The Architecture schools in Australia provide financial assistance to students on the basis of their academic excellence and proof of funds shown. The government too encourages scholarship assistance to international students. The important scholarships are tabulated below:
|Name of the Scholarship||Issued By||Given to|
|University of Melbourne Graduate Research Scholarships||University of Melbourne||Students pursuing research|
|Australian Awards Scholarship||Department of Foreign Trade and Affairs||Students from Indo Pacific Region|
|Macquarie University International Scholarships||Vice-chancellor of Macquarie University||International students pursuing undergraduate or postgraduate degree|
|Charles Darwin University Vice-Chancellor’s International High Achievers Scholarships||Charles Darwin University||Undergraduate or postgraduate students|
So, students who meet the required criteria can apply for these scholarships and get a reduction in the tuition fees for pursuing studies in Australia.
Scope And Job Prospects
Australian degrees are globally acknowledged. Upon completing higher studies, candidates become eligible to choose from several career options available for them. A few of the designations a candidate may wish to go for are listed below :
|Mechanical Drafter||Landscape Architect|
|Interior Designer||Design Manager|
|Design and Decoration Assistant||Architectural Technician|
|Drafting Supervisor||CAD Manager|
|Architectural Designer||CAD Drafter|
|Architectural Manager||Assistant Architectural Manager|
|Architecture Consultant||Architecture Specification Writer|
So, this was all about the Architecture Schools in Australia. Wish to apply for a course in Architecture and confused about the application process? Well, the application process could be a tedious one. But, our Leverage Edu experts are here to guide you through! Sign up for a free session today!