The United Kingdom is by far one of the most popular tourist and student destinations in the world. The country is recognised for its beauty, grandeur, and iconic monuments created by some of the world’s most renowned architects. Whether we talk about the famous Big Ben or historic castles in the countryside, Roman monuments, or Royal palaces, each monument has its own share of history to tell. This makes the UK, one of the world’s best places for aspirants to study Architecture. Let’s find out more about Master of Architecture in UK.
This Blog Includes:
- Why Study Master of Architecture in UK?
- Curriculum of Master of Architecture in UK
- Eligibility Criteria for Master of Architecture in UK
- Documents Required
- Top Universities for Master of Architecture in UK
- Popular Scholarships
- Cost of Studying in UK
- Career Prospects After Master of Architecture in UK
- Student Visa in UK
- Documents Required for UK Student Visa
Also explore a Career in Sustainable Architecture!
Why Study Master of Architecture in UK?
The Master of Architecture degree in the UK is offered in 3 forms:
These degrees are offered in collaboration with the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) or the Architects Registration Board (ARB). After graduating from a RIBA-accredited university with a MArch, MA, or any other degree in Architecture, international students immediately become members of the RIBA. This organization is affiliated with more than 50 Architect schools in the UK. Its members are eligible for a variety of incentives, including bursaries, scholarships, exposure to the architect committee, and employment agencies.
Some of the major reasons for pursuing a Master of Architecture in UK include:
- Architecture courses in UK universities emphasise the subject’s technological, design, cultural, and historical aspects, with lectures on history and theory taking place alongside art and 3D design.
- A fully certified architect takes 7 years to complete, with 5 years of education followed by two years of professional training and practical practice before final exams.
- After completing their 3 undergraduate degrees, students will become members of the famous RIBA, the Royal Institute of British Architects, before enrolling in a B.Arch, Diploma, or M.Arch programme.
- This gives students the finest opportunity to learn about each aspect of the trade.
- The UK is home to some of the best universities in the world that offer world-class courses and degrees in Architecture.
- An individual with a degree of Master of Architecture in UK is expected to earn 60% more than someone with a bachelor’s degree.
- Architects in the UK may expect a pay increase of about 12% in every 16 months.
Did you know: According to the Times University Guide, 3 years into their careers, architects are among the least likely of all graduates to be dissatisfied with their profession.
Curriculum of Master of Architecture in UK
An Architecture degree in the UK is delivered through a combination of one-on-one supervision, seminars, discussions, classroom lectures, studio practice, and work presentation. The supervisors then provide feedback on how the student may enhance his or her work. Studio projects, essays, written exams, and the creation of portfolios are also used to evaluate pupils. A quick summary of the basic curriculum of Master of Architecture in UK is provided below:
- Advanced architectural modelling
- Architectural Geometry
- Design Studio Projects
- Working on the Thesis Designs
- Infrastructure Planning
- Architectural Computation
- Bio-Integrated Design
- Architectural History, and more
Explore the top Affordable Cities in UK for International Students
Eligibility Criteria for Master of Architecture in UK
Although the eligibility criteria for a Master of Architecture in UK differs for different universities, the following is the general requirements that you must know to apply for the same:
- A bachelor’s degree in the relevant field with minimum of 50% aggregate marks
- A design portfolio
- Typical A-levels requirements; AAB, with a balance of art, sciences and writing ability.
- English Language Proficiency test scores like IELTS or TOEFL
- A competitive GRE score if asked by the university
Students must provide necessary documents to support their application for an MS in Architecture in the United Kingdom. The following is a list of relevant documents:
- Design Portfolio: Work samples presented previously for college or job must be included in the design portfolio. In addition, new work may be added to the portfolio. Sketches, schematics, work drawings, and explanations of architectural problems are all included in a design portfolio.
- Personal Statement: This document should be restricted to 200-300 words and should outline past schooling and job experience. It should also explain how the university’s curriculum will assist the applicant in achieving his or her objectives.
- Resume/CV: A detailed CV with references that can testify to the applicant’s potential is also useful in the application process.
- Transcripts: The candidate must submit an academic transcript from the previous universities where he or she obtained a bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Letter of Support: It is similar to a reference letter in that it is written by the employer to explain how the candidate would benefit from the programme and their professional success.
Know about all the Documents Required for Applying to UK Universities
Top Universities for Master of Architecture in UK
The following are the top institutions in the UK that provide Masters of Architecture along with their respective rankings and program fees:
|University||QS News World University Rankings 2021 for Architecture and Built Environment||Average Program Fees (in GBP)|
|University College London||3||24000-29000 [24 to 28 lakhs]|
|Manchester School of Architecture||8||47,000 [45.30 lakhs]|
|University of Cambridge||9||39,000 [37.59 lakhs]|
|University of Sheffield||23||21,100 [20.30 lakhs]|
|Cardiff University||38||21,950 [21.15 lakhs]|
|Newcastle University||51 – 100||42,000 [40.48 lakhs]|
|Oxford Brookes University||51 – 100||14,700 [14.17 lakhs]|
|University of Bath||51 – 100||36,550 [35.23 lakhs]|
|University of Edinburgh||51 – 100||24,450 [23.56 lakhs]|
|University of Reading||51-100||22,850 [23 lakhs]|
|University of Westminster||101-150||13,000 [13 lakhs]|
|University of Liverpool||101-150||9,250 [9.3 lakhs]|
|University of Salford||101-150||15,300 [15.4 lakhs]|
|University of Strathclyde||101-150||18,950 [19 lakhs]|
Here are the top UK Universities that Give an Offer Letter in 2 Days
Note: The average tuition fees at the top universities for Master of Architecture in UK ranges from 21,950 GBP to 47,000 GBP. This equates to between INR 22 lakhs to INR 47 lakhs for Indian students.
The following are some of the popular scholarships offered by top universities in the UK to international students who aspire to pursue a masters degree in Architecture in the UK:
|University||Scholarship Amount in GBP|
|University College London||10,000 (INR 10 lakhs)|
|University of Cambridge||21,000 (INR 21.1 lakhs)|
|University of Sheffield||2000 – 2500 (INR 2 lakhs to INR 2.5 lakhs)|
|Cardiff University||2000 (INR 2 lakhs)|
|Oxford Brookes University||2000 (INR 2 lakhs)|
|University of Nottingham||50% to 100% of tuition fee|
|University of Bath||5000 (INR 5 lakhs)|
|Loughborough University||100% tuition fees|
|Newcastle University||50% and 100% of tuition fees|
|University of Edinburgh||Tuition Fees|
Cost of Studying in UK
Career Prospects After Master of Architecture in UK
According to recent trends, Architecture graduates in the UK are expected to earn a median salary of 22,000 GBP to 45,000 GBP per year, depending on their employment position and role. The following are the job prospects that are available for Architecture graduates in the UK, with an estimated average salary:
|Job Prospects||Average Annual Salary (in GBP)||Average Annual Salary (in INR)|
|Project Architect||36000||36.2 lakhs|
|Architectural Design||28000||28.2 lakhs|
|Design Architect||32000||32.2 lakhs|
|Project Manager||40000||40.3 lakhs|
|Interior Designer||27000||27.2 lakhs|
|Design Manager||44000||44.3 lakhs|
|Senior Project Architect||41000||41.3 lakhs|
|3D Artist||25000||25.1 lakhs|
|Architectural Intern||22000||22.1 lakhs|
Foster and Partners, Zaha Hadid Architects, Balfour Beatty, Broadway Malyan, and Adamson Associates Architects are some of the well-known firms in the UK that recruit freshers and architects.
Note: According to the Association of Graduate Careers Advisory Services’ May 2018 survey, 48.7% of architecture students are employed as technicians in the UK.
Student Visa in UK
Here are the two main types of UK Student Visas you can choose from to study in UK:
|Tier 4 Student Visa||Short-term Student Visa|
|This is for those who are 16 years of age or above and have enrolled in a course exceeding more than 11 months.||This type of visa is for those students who want to enrol in a short-term course.|
|You will have to collect your Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) or letter of acceptance from the institution where you have applied to study.||The duration of such courses doesn’t exceed 11 months.|
Note: A candidate enrolled in the Master of Architecture, must apply for the Tier-4 Student Visa.
Also know the UK Student Visa Rejection Reasons!
Documents Required for UK Student Visa
The following documents are required to apply for a students visa by aspirants who wish to study Architecture in UK:
- Coloured passport size photograph
- A valid passport
- The Confirmations of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) reference number along with other documents to required to obtain CAS
- Proof of financial stability
- Assessment documentation
- Details of your travel plans and where you are about to reside
- Health checkup report
You can also pursue a Master of Architecture in the UK. Get in touch with our Leverage Edu experts at 1800572000 and let them help you with your application process, test preps, scholarships and everything else that would be required to make you land at your dream university in the UK.