With rapid urbanization and population explosion, more experts are needed to create living spaces that can accommodate people in small areas. With the covid-pandemic, creating comfortable and functional indoor spaces is soon becoming the new norm! This is where interior designers come into the picture. Using their technical knowledge and creativity, revitalise a space and make it safe and comfortable. Interior designers are inherent multitaskers, from creating blueprints of the interiors to selecting colour schemes, designs, material and coordinating with technicians and vendors, they oversee each project from start to finish. In this blog, we will shed light on an array of interior design courses that you can pursue to kickstart a career in design!
Also Read: How to become a Color Expert?
This Blog Includes:
- What is Interior Designing?
- Eligibility Criteria for Interior Design Course
- Indian Entrance Exams
- Bachelors in Interior Design Courses
- Masters in Interior Design Courses
- Doctoral Interior Design Courses
- Diploma/Associate Interior Design Courses
- Online Design Courses
- Top Universities
- Top Colleges in India for Interior Design Courses
- Career Prospects
What is Interior Designing?
Interior designing is a complex creative and technical profession which involves creating livable and attractive interiors or indoor spaces for people. The process of interior designing involves understanding the layout of the space, functionality of the space, regulations related to the building and environment. It is also about understanding the diverse needs and aesthetic of the customers. Interior designers work on multiple facets such as constructing a blueprint for the space, sketching designs, selecting furniture, colors, materials, fixtures and selecting equipment. Apart from the design aspect, the job involves budgeting, provision of project management services, creating schedules, Preparation of construction and legal documents and coordination with different vendors and technicians.
Before we get into the top interior design courses, here is the main skill set for candidates who wish to pursue a career in interior designing-
- Good communication skills
- Drawing ability
- Effective client relationship
- Quick decision making
- Ability to multitask
- Eye for creativity and aesthetic
- Ability to understand different materials, colours and textures
Eligibility Criteria for Interior Design Course
- The minimum criteria for interior design courses at the undergraduate level are Class 12 from a recognised board.
- Select colleges require candidates to have a level of proficiency in Mathematics and Physics.
- For international universities, candidates are required to submit scores of IELTS or TOEFL as English proficiency courses.
Indian Entrance Exams
Here are the popular entrance exams for interior design courses-
- Pearl Academy Entrance Exam
- GD Goenka DAT
- CEPT Entrance Exam
- NID Entrance Exam
- IIAD Entrance Exam
Bachelors in Interior Design Courses
Below is a list of Interior Design Courses at the undergraduate level:
- Bachelor of Fine arts (B.F.A) in Interior Design
One of the most pursued Interior Design Courses, the BFA degree program is a 3-year undergraduate program. It puts a thrust on designing interiors of commercial and retail spaces by imparting knowledge on areas like space planning and colour theory.
- Bachelor of Design (BDes) in Interior Architecture
A 4-year undergraduate degree program, BDes in Interior Architecture equips students with skills and knowledge on how to create living spaces, floors, walls, etc in line with people’s choices. The students are trained to plan and manage the interiors of residences and buildings.
- BA in Interior Environmental Design
The Interior Environmental Design course imparts extensive knowledge of theoretical and practical aspects of designing. This prepares students in creating spaces that are both environmentally and economically feasible.
Masters in Interior Design Courses
- MSc in Interior Design
- MSc Environmental Design of Buildings
- MA in Interior and Spatial Design
- MA in Architectural Design
- MFA in Interior Design
- MFA in Furniture Design
- MFA in Applied Design – Woodwork
- Master of Urban Design
- Master of Environmental Design
- Master of Design (MDes) in Interior Architecture
- Master of Design(MDes) in Exhibition and Narrative Environments
- MBA in Interior Design
Doctoral Interior Design Courses
- Doctor of Philosophy(PhD) in Interior and Environmental Design
- Doctor of Philosophy in Industrial Design
- Doctor of Philosophy in Interior Architecture
- Doctor of Philosophy in Built Environment
Diploma/Associate Interior Design Courses
- Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration
- Diploma of Art and Design
- Diploma in Interior Design Technology
- Post Diploma Certificate in Kitchen and Bath Design
- Associate degree in Interior decoration and designing
Online Design Courses
Design aspirants can take up online interior design courses offered by institutes in India and across the world. Online learning platforms like Udemy, LinkedIn, Skillshare and Youtube offer certificate courses and courses in interior designing at either low cost or for free. Udemy offers a range of interior design courses starting as low as Rs. 500! Here are some institutes for online interior design courses-
- New York School of Interior Design (NYSID)
- Lynda Interior Design and Visualisation Courses,
- The Art Institute of Pittsburgh
- New York Institute of Art and Design (NYIAD)
- British College of Interior Design (BCID)
- National Design Academy
|Collaborative Design||Spatial Design||Industrial Design||Communication Design|
|Corporate Design||Residential Design||Retail Design||Sustainable design|
|Lighting Design||Set Design||Exhibit Design||Space Planning|
Below is a list of the universities which offer Interior Design Courses at undergraduate, postgraduate, or doctoral levels :
- Savannah College of Art and Design(SCAD)
- RMIT University, Australia
- Cardiff University, UK
- Instituto Marangoni, Italy
- Monash College, Australia
- Carnegie Mellon School of Design, USA
- Rochester Institute of Technology, USA
- Kent State University, USA
- Florence Design Academy, Italy
- Ryerson University, Canada
- Rhode Island School of Design, USA
- Royal College of Art, UK
- The University of Dundee, Scotland
- Pratt Institute, USA
- Dublin Institute of Design, Ireland
- The University of South Wales, UK
Top Colleges in India for Interior Design Courses
- National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad
- Pearl Academy, New Delhi
- JJ School of Arts
- CEPT University, Gujarat
- INIFD Deccan, Pune
- School of Design, UPES Dehradun
- Indian Institute of Art and Design, Delhi
- Vogue Institute of Fashion Technology
- Sai School of Interior Design
- SDPS Women’s College, Indore
- Manipal University, Jaipur
- Sharda University, Greater Noida
- GD Goenka School of Fashion and Design, Gurgaon
There is an array of fields you can work. Some of which are :
- Interior Decorators
- Exhibition Designers
- Lighting Designers
- Sustainable Designers
The average salary for an interior designer in India, according to Payscale, is ₹30,6071 while the average salary according to Glassdoor is ₹25,000 in India.
- The Karighars
- Savio and Rupa Interior Concepts
- H&H Studio
- TOA Architects
- Studio M Interior Design
- Morph Design Co. by Prestige Constructions
- Design Qube
- De Panache
In order to build a career in interior designing, candidates need to take up interior design courses like BFA, BDes, BA in Interior Environmental Design, BVA in interiors, Ms in Interior Design etc
Depending upon one’s entry-level, candidates can opt for a wide range of courses under interior designing. The best course is BDes in Interior Architecture.
Candidates can enrol at different institutes in India, around the world or study from the comfort of their homes via online learning.
A Bachelors in interior design is for 3-4 years depending upon the institute.
As you have seen, there is an array of Interior Design Courses available all over the world. If you have a university in mind but don’t know where to start then you can contact Leverage Edu. The mentors and counselors will help you in securing admission to the best-fit university and the right course as per your eligibility, requirements and needs, all of this with the help of our game-changing AI Course Finder tool!