A Bachelor of Liberal Arts is an undergraduate degree which opens up a lot of career prospects for students as after graduation they can work in various industries and areas. It shares Liberal Arts education in the form of a 3-year program which allows a student to explore various subjects in the field of arts and humanities, social science and languages. In a nutshell, this course helps students develop an understanding of the complexities of society and humanity.
Let us dive deeper into what the Bachelor of Liberal Arts is all about and other important information related to it.
|Course Name||Bachelor of Liberal Arts|
|Disciplines||Economics, Philosophy, Psychology, Sociology, Political Science, History, Literature and Anthropology|
|Eligibility||Completed 12th class from a recognised board with at least 60%.Entrance exam|
|Top Recruiters||ITC, Reliance, Goonj, CISCO, KPMG, Flipkart, etc.|
|Job Profiles||Content Writer, Social Worker, Economist, Public Relations Manager, Graphic Designer, etc.|
|Skills Required||Time Management, Problem-Solving, Good Communication, Reasoning, Creative Thinking and Dedication.|
This Blog Includes:
- About Bachelor of Liberal Arts
- Eligibility Criteria
- Admission Process
- Entrance Exams for Bachelor of Liberal Arts
- Top Indian Colleges Offering Bachelor of Liberal Arts
- Global Universities Offering Bachelor of Liberal Arts
- Skills Required
- Syllabus of Bachelor of Liberal Arts
- Course Structure of Bachelor of Liberal Arts
- Books to Refer for Bachelor of Liberal Studies
- Jobs and Salaries
- Top Recruiters
About Bachelor of Liberal Arts
Instead of specializing in a particular field, the Bachelor of Liberal Arts course allows students to explore the different fields of arts, humanities, social sciences and natural sciences. The central disciplines in Bachelor of Liberal Arts are Psychology, Philosophy, Linguistics, Logic, Literature, History, Political Science and Sociology. Due to the increasing interest of people in the field of arts Liberal Arts as a course is gaining a lot of traction.
Students get the liberty to formulate their course according to their interests by choosing subjects. For example, a student can take up humanities courses with mathematics or Economics and History as the subjects of their interests.
Also Read: Liberal Arts Education
Before choosing to enrol in a BA Liberal Arts study, a student must meet the requirements established by the university or college. Although the requirements may vary from university to university, the following are the fundamental requirements for a BA in Liberal Arts:
- The student should have completed their 12th class from a recognised board of India with at least 60% marks.
- Students who have pursued Maths/ Economics/ Political Science in their 12th class will be given preference.
- In order to enrol students in Liberal Arts courses, universities and colleges conduct entrance examinations to test their knowledge therefore, a candidate has to sit for an entrance test.
The following are steps that a candidate must adhere to in order to complete the admission process for a Bachelor of Liberal Arts:
1. A candidate must look for a college or university that offers a BA in Liberal Arts as their initial step. One should review the costs, available seats, and the course’s eligibility requirements.
2. After choosing a college that offers a BA in Liberal Arts, the student should submit an application for admission by filling out the necessary information. The window of an application is only open for a certain period of time, and students must keep this in mind.
3. For admission to the BA in Liberal Arts, universities and colleges hold entrance tests. Students’ aptitudes, general knowledge, talents, and awareness will be evaluated. Candidates will be evaluated on their performance in class 12 in addition to the admission exam. They may also be required to participate in a group discussion (GD) round or an interview.
4. The merit-listed qualified candidates will receive an invitation to complete the admission requirements. For acceptance, the student must achieve the appropriate rank and percentage.
Entrance Exams for Bachelor of Liberal Arts
There are some universities and colleges that conduct entrance examinations to enrol students in Bachelor of Liberal Arts courses. Following is the list of the popular entrance examinations for Bachelor of Liberal Arts:
- Banaras Hindu University Undergraduate Entrance Test
- Andhra Pradesh Research Common Entrance Test
- Delhi University Entrance Test
- Jawaharlal Nehru University Entrance Exam
- Presidency University Bachelor Degree Entrance Test
- Common Post-Graduate Entrance Tests
- Panjab University Common Entrance Test PG
- Aligarh Muslim University Entrance Exam
Also Read: Top Humanities Courses after Class 12th
Top Indian Colleges Offering Bachelor of Liberal Arts
The table below represents various colleges in India that offer Bachelor of Liberal Arts along with their fees and location.
|College / University Name||Location||Fees (1st Year)|
|Manav Rachna International Institute of Research and Studies (MRIIRS)||Faridabad, Haryana||INR 1,26,000|
|Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology (Thapar University)||Patiala, Punjab||INR 4,20,000|
|Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies (NMIMS Deemed to be University)||Mumbai, Maharashtra||INR 4,75,000|
|Chandigarh University (CU)||Chandigarh, Chandigarh||INR 1,00,000|
|The University of Petroleum and Energy Studies (UPES)||Dehradun, Uttarakhand||INR 5,22,000|
|Maharishi Markandeshwar (MMU)||Ambala, Haryana||INR 95,000|
|MIT – World Peace University – (MIT-WPU)||Pune, Maharashtra||INR 3,50,000|
|Manipal University||Jaipur, Rajasthan||INR 92,000|
|Amity University||Mumbai, Maharashtra||INR 1,18,000|
|Krea University||Sri City, Andhra Pradesh||INR 7,70,500|
Global Universities Offering Bachelor of Liberal Arts
Studying abroad can help a student to step out of their comfort zone, get a quality education, and make new cultural connections and also it can open doors for a lot of career opportunities. The table below represents various global universities that offer Liberal Arts courses:
|University Name||Location||QS Rankings 2023|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology||USA||1|
|National University of Singapore||Singapore||11|
|University of Cambridge||United Kingdom||2|
|University of Oxford||United Kingdom||4|
|University of Toronto||Canada||34|
|Durham University||United Kingdom||92|
|University of Pennsylvania||USA||13|
Also Read: Best Arts Schools in the World
In order to pursue any course and succeed in a further career, a student must possess some skills. Following are the skills that a student must have in order to do well in the field of Liberal Arts:
- Time Management
- Creative Thinking
- Professional Etiquette
- Good Communication
Syllabus of Bachelor of Liberal Arts
There are two undergraduate programs in the field of Liberal Arts – BA Liberal Arts and BSc Liberal Arts. There are various subjects taught under the Bachelor of Liberal Arts which allows students to gain knowledge of various fields. The table below represents the list of subjects taught in the BA Liberal Arts course:
|Political Science||Social Work|
Course Structure of Bachelor of Liberal Arts
The duration of a Bachelor of Liberal Arts is generally 3 years which is divided into 6 semesters. Following is the general course structure of this course which can vary from university to university and college to college.
- Foundation Courses – 2 (Per Semester)
- Open Elective Course – 1 (Per Semester)
- Core Courses – 3 (Per Semester)
- Discipline-Centric Elective Courses – 4 (semester 5th) and 3 (Semester 6th)
Also Read: Fine Arts Courses
Books to Refer for Bachelor of Liberal Studies
Reading books is always a great idea to develop a better understanding of an area. Following is the list of some of the books that can help you greatly if you are planning to pursue a Bachelor of Liberal Arts.
|The Fuzzie and Techie||Scott Harley|
|The Philosophy Book: Big Ideas Simply Explained||Will Buckingham|
|How to Think like Shakespeare: Lessons from a Renaissance Education||Scott Newstok|
|Aristotle for Everybody||Mortimer J. Adler|
|The Well-Educated Mind||Susan Wise Bauer|
Jobs and Salaries
Completing a Bachelor of Liberal Arts can help you with providing a lot of career prospects as you will have various job profiles to choose from according to your interest area. The following table represents some of the job designations available in the field of Liberal Arts and their respective salaries:
|Job Profile||Average Salary|
|Mediator||INR 33,000 (per month)|
|Graphic Designer||INR 3 Lakh (per year)|
|Public Relations Manager||INR 7 Lakh (per year)|
|Economist||INR 13.4 Lakh (per year)|
|Social worker||INR 2 Lakh (per year)|
|Content Writer||INR 3 Lakh (per year)|
|Media Person||INR 2.9 Lakh (per year)|
While Looking for a job candidates should always try to get placement in top companies which can surely leverage the professional journey like nothing else. Following are some of the top recruiters that hire Liberal Arts graduates:
Ans- The scope of Liberal Arts is quite wide since Liberal Arts allows a student to explore various subjects. Therefore it provides students with a lot of career opportunities which they can choose according to their preference.
Ans- In the Liberal Arts students are taught how to think critically while in the Arts field student are made to learn about humanity.
Ans- After completing a Bachelor of Liberal Arts students get to choose between various job positions like – Graphic Designer, Event Planner, Human Resources Specialist, Public Relations Specialist, etc.
Ans- The demand for Liberal Arts courses is increasing a lot as it lets students explore a wide range of subjects.
That was all about a Bachelor of Liberal Arts. If you are planning to study abroad, our Leverage Edu experts will provide you with end-to-end assistance starting from your university application to the time you reach your university and commence your studies. Call us at 1800 57 2000 to book a free 30-minute counselling session today.