PhD in Cardiology is a doctorate-level course dedicated to the study of cardiovascular science and the respiratory system. Students of this programme engage in research on different aspects of the heart, vascular system, and respiratory organs. The curriculum focuses on imparting interpersonal skills to students enrolled in this medical speciality. This course is available in numerous universities abroad and in India. Let’s get deep insights into the details of PhD in Cardiology.
|Course||PhD in Cardiology|
|Course Tenure||3 years to 5 years|
|Focus Area of Study||Heart, Vascular System, and Respiratory System and associated diseases.|
|Employers||Research Clinics, Healthcare Organisations, Universities, Research and Development Organisations, and Academic Institutes.|
This Blog Includes:
- PhD in Cardiology: Top Universities Abroad
- PhD in Cardiology Universities: Eligibility Abroad
- PhD in Cardiology Universities: Fees
- PhD in Cardiology: Common Areas of Study
- PhD in Cardiology Universities and Colleges in India
- PhD in Cardiology Universities and Colleges in India Eligibility Criteria
- PhD in Cardiology Universities and Colleges in India Fees
- Common Subjects of Study in PhD in Cardiology in Universities and Colleges in India
- PhD in Cardiology Career Opportunities and Salary
PhD in Cardiology: Top Universities Abroad
Universities across the world offer PhD in Cardiology programmes with different research domains. This course offers an opportunity to specialise in vascular and cardiac biology through research and a thesis. Students of cardiovascular research in universities abroad engage in multiple research projects and become a part of major innovations during and after completing their degree.
This table consists of some of the most sought-after doctorate-level cardiovascular research courses available at some of the top universities in the world.
|Universities||Programmes||QS World Ranking of Universities|
|The University of Oxford||DPhil (Doctor of Philosophy) in Cardiovascular Science||4|
|The University of Manchester||PhD in Cardiovascular Sciences||28|
|University College London||PhD in Cardiovascular Science||8|
|The University of Birmingham||Cardiovascular Science-PhD by Research||91|
|The University of Edinburgh||PhD Cardiovascular Science||15|
|University of South Florida||Cardiovascular Biology in the Medical Sciences PhD Programme||601-650|
|King’s College London||Cardiovascular Medicine and Sciences PhD||37|
|Charles University||PhD in Cardiovascular Science||288|
PhD in Cardiology Universities: Eligibility Abroad
Universities offering PhD in Cardiology have different requirements. Each university provides the minimum percentage requirement in bachelor’s and master’s programmes for students applying for this doctorate course. The percentage criteria change every year, so students must be vigilant about the same and keep a tab on the changes. The basic eligibility criteria for securing admission to cardiovascular doctorate programmes of universities abroad are as follows:
- Candidate must have a bachelor’s degree from a recognised university.
- Students must have done postgraduate studies in a relevant domain from a recognised university.
- Applicants must have the required work experience, as mentioned in the application process of concerned universities, to apply for the programme.
- English Proficiency Test- IELTS (Academic), PTE (Academic), or TOEFL. Every university accepts different tests. The universities also mention the minimum score for the same.
PhD in Cardiology Universities: Fees
International students have the opportunity to research numerous domains of cardiovascular science, heart diseases, and disorders in the vascular system at different universities. Students are advised to know about the fee structure of interested universities before going for PhD in cardiology abroad. The below-mentioned fees are subject to change every year. Candidates must regularly check the official website of the universities to know the exact fees.
|The University of Oxford||£29,700 (INR 30,06,332) per annum|
|The University of Manchester||Full Time:
Standard: £25,500 (INR25,81,696) per annum
Low: £26,500 (INR 26,82,939) per annum
Medium: £33,500 (INR 33,91,523) per annum
High: £38,500 (INR 38,98,390) per annum
Part-Time:Standard: £12,750 (INR 12,91,025) per annum
Low: £13,250 (INR 13,41,538) per annum
Medium: £16,750 (INR 16,96,118) per annum
High: £19,250 (INR 19,48,993) per annum
|University College London||£29,000 (INR 29,36,146) per annum|
|The University of Birmingham||Full Time: £26,040 (INR 26,36,417) per annum
Part-Time: £13,020 (INR 13,18,345) per annum
|King’s College London||Full Time: £27,090 (INR 27,42,659) per annum
Part-Time: £13,500 (INR 13,66,773) per annum
PhD in Cardiology: Common Areas of Study
Each university has its own curriculum for PhD in Cardiology, but the common focus remains the same- heart and vascular system. The following are the common areas of study and research in this doctorate programme:
- Cardiac imaging
- Clinical trials and human genetics
- Vascular Biology
- Cell signalling
- Myocardial Biology
- Developmental Biology
- Regenerative Medicine
- Cardiovascular genetics
- Experimental Cardiology
- Device development
- Cardiovascular diseases like sleep apnea, cardiomyopathies, myocardial infarction, arrhythmias, and hypertension.
- Risk factors for cardiovascular diseases.
- Imaging and regenerative therapy
- Ischaemic preconditioning
- Preventive medicine
- Healthcare evaluation
- Innovative diagnostic and therapeutic treatment of heart failure, myocardial infarction, arterial fibrillation, hypertension, and other cardiovascular diseases or disorders.
- Application of e-health science and Big Data in diagnosing, treating, and preventing cardiovascular diseases and diabetes.
PhD in Cardiology Universities and Colleges in India
Numerous universities and medical colleges in India offer PhD in Cardiology for students of medical background. This course helps in the career growth of students with DM or MD in cardiology.
|Universities/Colleges||Course||QS World Ranking|
|All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), Delhi||PhD in Cardiology||–|
|Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences (SVIMS), Andhra Pradesh||PhD in Cardiology||–|
|Swami Rama Himalayan University (SRHU)||PhD in Cardiology||–|
|Annamalai University, Chennai||PhD in Cardiology||551-560|
|Datta Meghe Institute of Medical Sciences (DMIMS), Maharashtra||PhD in Cardiology||–|
PhD in Cardiology Universities and Colleges in India Eligibility Criteria
The basic eligibility criteria for admission to a doctorate in cardiovascular science in Indian medical institutions remain the same. The criteria for marks may differ in different colleges. The eligibility criteria for the programme are as follows:
- Candidates must have MD or DM in Cardiology from a recognised college or university.
- Students with PG degrees in biomedical science and Nursing are also eligible for the course.
- Applicant must have completed the required internship or have the required work experience.
- Candidates must clear the National or State level entrance examination required by the concerned university or college.
PhD in Cardiology Universities and Colleges in India Fees
The below-mentioned fees of different medical colleges and universities are subject to change. These academic institutions regularly update their fees for the respective academic year on their websites. Students must visit the official website of interested institutions to know the exact fees.
|All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), Delhi||INR 2,160|
|Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences (SVIMS), Andhra Pradesh||INR 87,900|
|Swami Rama Himalayan University (SRHU)||INR 65,000|
Common Subjects of Study in PhD in Cardiology in Universities and Colleges in India
The curriculum of different universities and colleges for PhD in Cardiology has common areas of research and study. Certain domains may differ but the basic subjects remain the same. Following is the list of common subjects in the aforementioned academic organisations of India:
- Clinical cardiology
- Research Methodology
- Biomedical aspects
- Invasive cardiology principles
- Field study
PhD in Cardiology Career Opportunities and Salary
After completing this doctorate programme successfully, candidates can use their training to gain employment in clinics, research and development, hospitals, universities, the healthcare industry, the defence sector, and NGOs. Following are the career options for PhD in Cardiology degree holders:
|Job Titles||Average Salary Range (Depends on Experience and Skills)|
|Cardiothoracic Surgeons||INR 30 LPA-INR 50 LPA|
|Scientists||INR 13 LPA|
|Physicians||INR 23 LPA|
|Cardiologists||INR 12 LPA|
|Researchers||INR 30 LPA|
Ans. King’s College London, The University of Oxford, The University of Edinburgh, and University College London offer this course for medical students.
Ans. Cardiovascular diseases, regenerative medicine, and diagnostic therapy are the key areas of focus in this doctorate programme of the medical fraternity.
Ans. This course is available at AIIMS, Delhi; SVIMS, Andhra Pradesh; Annamalai University; DMIMS; and SRHU
To grow your career as a cardiologist, follow Leverage Edu and apply for the study abroad opportunities at 1800 572 000.