Transferring to a new university can be challenging. Almost one-third of students transfer at some point during their college career for any number of reasons. Students could transfer universities due to financial situations, poor performance, give another shot at their dream university or if the current university is not the best fit. This blog delves into universities that accept spring transfers and what the transfer process is!
This Blog Includes:
- What is the Spring Transfer?
- Universities that Accept Spring Transfers
- Why do Students Transfer?
- Process of Transferring Universities
- International Students Transfer Requirements
- Documents Checklist
What is the Spring Transfer?
The Spring intake usually is from January to April/May. Spring transfer is when students decide to transfer to a new university in the spring semester. The acceptance rate of Spring transfers is more selective. This is due to the fact that most courses begin in the fall semester( September) and transferring mid-year in the spring semester can be difficult as it comes with fewer transferrable credits. Before choosing to transfer universities in the spring semester, look at the application requirements, the deadlines, acceptance rate of universities and research thoroughly. The deadline for spring transfers is usually around October/November. Different universities may have different deadlines, check before applying.
Also Read: Study Abroad Intakes and Deadlines for International Students
Universities that Accept Spring Transfers
Here is a list of universities that accept spring transfers for international students:
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- Stanford University
- University of Cambridge
- Imperial College London
- Yale University
- The University of Edinburgh
- Columbia University
- Cornell University
- University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
- University of Toronto
- The University of Manchester
- Northwestern University
- Carnegie Mellon University
Must Read: How to Transfer Universities in the UK?
Why do Students Transfer?
Transfer students are students that transfer from their university or college to another university or college for any multitude of reasons like:
- Students transfer from community colleges
- Students may transfer if they feel like the university is not a good fit for them
- If they want to change majors
- If students want to apply to a university with better recognition
- To give another shot at their dream university
- Students may transfer due to the high cost of studying and living.
- The course does not meet their expectations or because of personal considerations such as family illness and the need to be closer to home.
- Some students are just unhappy with the courses or want to “transfer” to a university they think is the best.
Also Read: What is the Significance of a Transfer Certificate?
Process of Transferring Universities
Here is step-wise process you need to follow to apply to universities that accept spring transfers and make it before the deadlines:
Assess why you want to Transfer and Research
First make sure you want to transfer or not. If you’ve been studying at your university for a few months or a year, make a list of reasons you don’t like and contrast this with other universities. Begin your research for universities again. Look for universities that accept transfer students, colleges that have your major, your desired location and your social environment.
Take help of our experts at LeverageEdu
Call our Leverage Edu student counsellors at 1800 572 000 to shortlist your courses with the help of our trusted AI Course Finder. The experts will then commence your transfer application process of multiple universities through our common dashboard platform where you can yourself witness the status of your application process.
Shortlist universities and Check Requirements
After you’ve made a list of universities you want to apply to, check the requirements for applying as a transfer student. Check if there are any additional tests required to be given like GMAT, GRE, IELTS. Check English language proficiency requirements and whether or not you need to give your tests again. You can register for Leverage Live and we will help you commence with your preparations today.
Finance your Studies
Calculate the cost of the program and the additional expenses for accommodation, food travel, etc. Make sure you have money ready for the period of your stay. If you need help with your finances, Leverage Finance can help you secure an affordable loan that can help you achieve your dream to study abroad. You can also apply to various scholarships offered to international students by universities, government and even Leverage Edu.
Check out which credits transfer. The amount of transfer credit you are eligible for is determined by the Office of Admissions based on the factors like whether or not the courses you have taken are transferable, the number of courses you have completed, whether your previous post-secondary studies fit into the program you are applying to.
Gather Necessary Documents
The next step is to gather and compile all your documents like SOPs, essays, certificates and LORs and exam scores like IELTS etc.
Once you have collected all the documents and fulfilled the transaction requirements you are ready to fill out the application form. Check the deadlines, and submit your saved application form at the right time to the university.
International Students Transfer Requirements
- You must have completed a particular amount of credits at the university you are now attending to be deemed a transfer student.
- The minimal number of credits required for transfer admission varies from university to university and program to program. And only if you meet the minimum GPA standards will you be considered for transfer admission.
- If you don’t meet the GPA requirements you can apply as a freshman.
The documents required for a transfer application are generally similar to the normal college application. Documents include:
- A completely filled transfer application form
- A personal statement
- Reason for transferring
- All official academic transcripts
- Scores for the period you were in your current university
- English Proficiency tests like IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, etc
- SAT or ACT Score
- Letters of Recommendation
Must Read: European Credits Transfer System
Wondering how you can study abroad this spring 2022? Then call our Leverage Edu experts on 1800 572 000 or download the Leverage App to take care of all your study abroad needs at one place!