COVID-19 has raised significant concerns leading to the constant change in travel guidelines across nations. With a few countries gradually easing their travel plans and opening borders, some countries have entirely sealed their borders and are hesitant in allowing travel for a few months. Amidst the confusion, the people with plans to study or work abroad need a clear understanding of the various travel bans/restrictions across many nations. In this blog, we will help you get the latest answers and news about the travel restrictions across the world and new rules implemented by countries to ensure safety.
Please Note: India has extended the suspension of all international flight operations till 28 February 2021 as part of its coronavirus disease (COVID-19) measures.
New Zealand is one of the first countries to impose travel restrictions across the world. After the announcement in May 2020 by Jacinda Ardern that the country is now in “Alert Level 2”, New Zealand has kept its borders closed for foreign countries except:
- Citizens of New Zealand and permanent resident visa holders
- Partner or dependent child of a citizen of New Zealand or a permanent resident, and the visa is based on this relationship
- Australian citizens or permanent residents ordinarily staying in New Zealand
- Diplomats who hold a post in New Zealand
- Eligible travelers from the Cook Islands
Apart from the above-mentioned people who are allowed to travel the government of New Zealand plans to permit limited numbers of international students to come to New Zealand to continue their studies. So if you study in New Zealand, you can go there and start with your studies. All travelers must have a COVID-19 test taken with a negative result within 72 hours of their first scheduled international flight. Travelers will still be required to stay in isolation for at least 14 days.
Canada too, just like other countries has closed its borders till 21 February 2021. It has imposed travel restrictions across the world except for:
- Citizens of Canada
- Permanent residence of Canada
- Students who are studying in Canada with a valid study permit or a letter of introduction that is approved for a study permit.
- Permitted students who are attending a designated learning institution (DLI) with a COVID-19 readiness plan
Apart from the above-mentioned people permitted to travel in Canada, close family members of Canadian citizens and permanent residents can also travel to Canada provided it is authorized in writing by a consular officer of the Government of Canada. The flights will land only at one of the 4 Canada Airports: Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary, and Montreal. All travelers have to take a COVID-19 test upon arrival to Canada following quarantine for three days at an approved hotel.
Next on our list of countries with travel restrictions across the world is the United Kindom. The United Kingdom has suspended all Travel corridors (air bridge allows passengers to travel on certain routes from countries and territories with low COVID-19 infection rates) since January 18, 2021. The Government of the United Kingdom has also introduced a national lockdown which means that no non-essential travel is permitted. If you arrive in the UK, you must self-isolate for 10 days along with a completed passenger locator form and proof of a negative coronavirus test
Australia too has imposed travel restrictions across the world and has currently closed all borders. It will most likely keep it the same for many months due to the presence of COVID-19 cases. The only people who can travel to Australia are:
- Australian citizens
- Permanent residents of Australia
- Immediate family members of Australian citizens
- Travellers who have been in New Zealand for the previous 14 days (excluding the time in quarantine)
Moving on in our list of travel restrictions across the world, we have the United States Of America. The united states of America have restricted people who have been in any of these countries for the past 14-days:
- United Kingdom- England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland)
- Republic of Ireland
- South Africa
- Europe- Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican City)
There are certain exceptions that may apply to US citizens, lawful permanent residents, and their immediate families.
Apart from the above-mentioned nations, people travelling from any other country will be required to present a negative COVID-19 test, taken within three days of departure or proof of recovery from the virus within the last 90 days. If you wish to study in USA or are already studying there then you will have to follow all the safety precautions.
Contact the airline or online travel agent. Also, trying getting in touch with your credit card company if that’s how you booked. Get in touch with your travel insurance provider, if you have applied for one.
India currently faces 10.8 million cases with 10.4 million people recovered.
As the COVID vaccinations-Covershield and Covaxin are being held in many cities in India, domestic travel restrictions are eased. It is expected that all travel and other movements will return to normal by summer 2021.
This was all about the various travel restrictions across the world imposed by various nations. Please follow the safety measures and guidelines by the officials to ensure safety and ease at the earliest. For more updates and news, stay tuned to Leverage Edu!