A melting pot amalgamating the Eastern and Western cultures, Hong Kong is a vivid and globally connected cosmopolitan comprising an incredible mix of a scintillating countryside and soaring skyscrapers! Home to internationally revered universities imparting quality education to students across the globe, the city is rapidly becoming an education hub and is also emerging as an attractive destination for start-ups and corporations given its proximity to China as well as Asian markets. You can study law to business courses in Hong Kong. If you are planning to study in Hong Kong but don’t know where to begin, we are bringing you all the essentials through this blog, be it its leading academic institutions or the admission and visa application process, costs, and scholarships!
This Blog Includes:
- Why Study in Hong Kong?
- Top 7 Universities to Study in Hong Kong
- Top Courses to Study in Hong Kong
- Intake Season
- Cost of Study in Hong Kong
- Scholarships to Study in Hong Kong
- Application Process
- Documents Required
- Visa Process to Study in Hong Kong
- Study in Hong Kong Without IELTS
- Part Time Jobs
- Career Scope
Why Study in Hong Kong?
To begin with, there are many reasons why you should opt to study in Hong Kong owing to the amazing exposure to educational and professional possibilities it offers! So, let’s take a look at the prominent pointers that make this city an attractive study destination!
- Striking Blend of Modernity & Traditions– With its history rooted in the Chinese culture and facing its share of hardships with the advent of the British Empire, Hong Kong has triumphantly emerged as a perfect mix of economic and modern competitiveness
- Booming Economy– Being a competitive financial and corporate hub, the economy of Hong Kong is amongst the most resilient ones in the world. Its economy is mainly based on free trade, minimum government intervention, and low taxation principles
- Assurance of Safety– The crime rates are also the lowest amongst other bustling towns across the globe and the government authorities also pay extra attention to discrimination against international visitors
- Plentiful Scholarships– The academic institutions in Hong Kong provide a plethora of scholarship schemes to international students every year like Government Grants, Graduate Student Scholarships, PhD Scholarships, Student loans, amongst others.
- Lesser Chance for Language Barriers– Though Cantonese is the regional language with Mandarin being the commonly spoken one, English is spoken frequently by the people in Hong Kong.
Also Read: MBA in Hong Kong
Top 7 Universities to Study in Hong Kong
Home to renowned academic institutions in Asia as well as across the globe, the universities and colleges in Hong Kong are mainly classified into public-funded and self-financed institutions. While exploring your options to study in Hong Kong, it is important that you find a suitable institution that offers programs in your chosen field of interest and can equip you with the necessary exposure you need. To help you sort out the same, we have created a list of major universities in Hong Kong as ranked by THE World University Global Rankings and QS World University Rankings 2021.
Global Rank 2022
Global Rank 2022
|University of Hong Kong||#22||#39|
|The Hong Kong University
of Science & Technology
|The Chinese University of Hong Kong||#39||#56|
|City University of Hong Kong||#53||#126|
|Hong Kong Polytechnic University||#66||#129|
|Hong Kong Baptist University||#287||#351- 400|
Top Courses to Study in Hong Kong
Wondering what are the courses you can study in Hong Kong? You can study courses like law to journalism or media studies. Students from across the world are eager to start their journey in top universities in Hong Kong. Some of the popular courses you should consider are mentioned below:
Also Read: HKUST Business School, Hong Kong
Every country has different intake seasons. Some universities offer multiple intakes or admit students just in one or two intake in a year. Every university in Hong Kong has different intakes but have two common intakes. First intake is from September to December and second intake is from January to May. These two intakes are the most crucial and available in almost every university.
Cost of Study in Hong Kong
While gearing up to study abroad, the most important thing everyone ponders upon is the overall costs. Providing a higher standard of living and quality education, your budget to study in Hong Kong can be approximated as quite affordable when compared to other top study destinations like the US and the UK. Further, the tuition fee can largely vary as per your program as well as if the institution you have chosen is public-funded or self-financed. You can also opt for different scholarships for Indian students that are offered by the universities in the city to equip them with the necessary financial aid (scroll down to the next section to know about scholarships). Take a look at the following table which provides a basic overview of the study-related costs you can expect while studying in Hong Kong:
|Types of Costs||Estimates (Annually)|
|Tuition Fees (Dependable
upon the program)
|HK$90,000 – HK$265,000 [830,000-24,46,000 INR]|
(also elaborated in the
HK$15,000 – HK$45,000 [139,000-4,16,000 INR]HK$96,000 – HK$180,000 [886,000-16,62,000 INR]
|Living Expenses||Around HK$50,000 [462,000 INR]|
(food, travel, etc.)
|Around HK$15,000 [138,000]|
Note: The above-mentioned costs have been listed from the official portal of the Education Bureau of the Hong Kong Govt. The costs might vary as per your chosen program, institution and other factors.
Finding a suitable accommodation that fits your budget is another chief factor you need to consider while getting ready to study in Hong Kong. Generally, there are two types of accommodation you can choose from:
- University Accommodation: If your institution offers the option of living in on-campus housing then you must opt for it as it is the best cheapest option for the international students who want to study in Hong Kong. You will need to spend around HK $5K-$20,200 (47,000- 18,65,000 INR) per semester.
- Reach Out to Agencies: If you are not getting a place at a university to study in Hong Kong, then there are numerous agents who will be happy to help you in exploring accommodation options. Before opting for anything, we would advise you to think about the pros and cons carefully because some places in Hong Kong can be quite expensive while shared spaces and other affordable rentals can easily fit into your prepared budget.
The price of the house may vary according to the room size. Here’s what you will need to pay for different rooms monthly. But remember! This is just an average chart, the prices may vary as per your location and the owner.
|Small Room||HK $3.5K – 4.5K
|Average Room||HK $5K – $6K
|Large Room||HK $6K – $8.5K
Scholarships to Study in Hong Kong
Now that you are aware of the costs you can expect while pursuing higher studies in Hong Kong, the next step is to explore the array of scholarships that are on offer for international students. The financial aid schemes offered to those wanting to study in Hong Kong are mainly either government-funded, provided by private organisations or university-specific scholarships. Here is a list of some of the major scholarships for Indian students that you must explore while planning to go for higher education in this cosmopolitan hub:
- Full Tuition Scholarship to Students from India for Graduate Studies at Hong Kong Baptist University
- Hong Kong Baptist University: Full Scholarships plus Living Allowance for Business Master’s Degree
- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government Scholarship
- Chinese University of Hong Kong BEA Inspiring Student Scholarships
- M+/Design Trust Research Fellowship for International Students in Hong Kong
- The Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme
- The Self-financing Post-secondary Education Fund
- Fully Funded Susan Yuen Fellowship & Research Foundation Diploma Scholarships in Hong Kong
Want Free Career Counselling? Book A Free Consultation Session With Us Now!
All applicants have to apply to the respective university, they are planning to pursue theie course. There is no common admission portal, students have to visit the university website. Here is the application process to study in Hong Kong:[optin-monster-shortcode id=”xf2mlnjiouddzrshykdb”]
- Visit the website of the respective university and select the course you wish to pursue
- The applicants are selected on the basis of the merit of an individual.
- Some may even invite applicants for the interviews and the best performers at the interview are taken
- In general, the marks you have earned in your previous institution must be satisfactory according to the needs of the institution in which you want to apply
- If English is not your native language, get the TOEFL, IELTS, or any other equivalent certification.
Here is a list of necessary documents required at the time of submitting your application to study in Hong Kong:
- Official academic transcripts
- Scanned copy of passport
- CV/ Resume
- Letter of Recommendation
- English language proficiency test scores
- Statement of Purpose
- Two Reference Letters
- Postgraduate applicants have to submit a translation of the degree certificate in case the degree certificate is in another language other than English.
Visa Process to Study in Hong Kong
To apply for a student visa in Hong Kong, the first and foremost prerequisite is that you need to apply for an educational institution in the city and once the university or college has confirmed your admission eligibility, you can begin your visa application. On the other hand, for mainland Chinese residents, they are allowed to simply request for an entry permit from the Immigration Department rather than applying for a full-fledged visas. Here is the essentials of the visa process you need to follow to obtain a student visa in Hong Kong:
Get A Sponsor- Before applying for a student visa to study in Hong Kong, you must first have a local sponsor. Your sponsor can either be an educational institution or an individual who is above the age of 18 who is financially capable to fund your program. If your chosen university or college can not sponsor you directly, they will possibly assist you in finding a suitable sponsor so its important to reach out to them for the same. Afterward, a ‘declaration by financial sponsor’ needs to be submitted to move on to the next step.
Understand the Types of Student Visa– Once you have found a suitable sponsor, the next step in the process is to familiarise yourself with the types of visa you can choose from to study in Hong Kong. Generally, the type of student visa depends upon your chosen program and its duration. Here is a list of different programs for which the provided student visa might vary:
- Full-time Postgraduate programs
- Part-time Graduate/Postgraduate Programs
- Full-time and Long-term Graduate Courses
- Short-term Graduate and Postgraduate Programs
- Bachelor level or advanced level Exchange Study Programs
Fill Out Visa Application Forms– Now that you have a sponsor as well as a chosen student visa type, you can start with filling the necessary forms available at the immigration portal of Hong Kong. You can download the forms from here. Further, remember that as an applicant, you need to complete the form ID 995A and your sponsor is required to complete form ID 995B.
Visa Documentation– Along with the duly filled application form for the visa to study in Hong Kong, you will be required to provide the following documents:
- Awards, certificate, and transcripts
- A photocopy of your letter of acceptance to any Hong Kong University
- Have a photocopy of necessary travel documents
- One passport size photograph
- Proof that will show whether you are financially able to support your education or not
- Application from one of your parent/guardian authorizing the sponsor to be your guardian
- Photocopy of your English proficiency test result
- Photocopy of your passport
- Photocopy of the payment receipt
Moreover, your sponsor also need to provide certain documents which are as follows:
|An undertaking by the sponsor that he/she is prepared to provide necessary accommodation to the candidate during his/her period of study in the HKSAR (if the applicant is under the age of 18) [For both cases, if the sponsor is an institution or an individual]|
|If the sponsor is an individual, they need to enclose the following documents:
-Photocopy of their Hong Kong Identity Card
-Photocopy of their Travel Document (If they are a non-local resident of Hong Kong)
-Proof of their Financial standing (such as bank statements, tax slips, etc.)
-Undertaking that they are ready to financially support the candidate during the duration of their study program in Hong Kong
Submit Application– Submit all the documents and the visa fees to India’s Chinese Embassy. However, if you want an alternative, you can send your documents to the CEDARS (Centre of Development and Resources for Students.
Visa Processing– After submitting your application to the Chinese embassy or the CEDARS office, you will receive an acknowledgment letter. Subsequently, CEDARS will send your application and official visa documents to the Hong Kong Immigration Department (HKID). Basically, it takes 6 to 8 weeks for visa processing after which the HKID will alert and inform you about the results of your application. Once you get approved, CEDARS will confirm your mailing address via email. Now, if you are going to apply online, you will have to wait for the visa label delivery and if you are not, then you will have to collect your visa label in person.
Study in Hong Kong Without IELTS
IELTS is one of the criteria to be fulfilled by every student planning to pursue higher education abroad. There are few universities around the world that admit students without IELTS. Students have to take pre-sessional English courses if they want to be exempted from the IELTS. Students with 70+ in Class 12 are also exempted from IELTS.
Part Time Jobs
Students in foreign universities are allowed to work but it is for specific time duration. In UK, students can work up to 20 hours in a week. In Hong Kong, a full-time student can work for 20 hours in a week and during the vacation can work without any restriction or limitations.
Also Read: Part Time Jobs in Germany
Now that you are aware that Hong Kong is an educational hub and one of the place with highest economy in the world. One of the best part about study in Hong Kong is that students are allowed to stay after they graduate. Students can stay for 12 months after completing their studies and even extend the stay to 4 more months after a year. Students are allowed to stay for 2-3 years after securing a job without any restrictions.
Thus, we hope that this blog has provided you with the key essentials of pursuing higher studies in Hong Kong. Structuring a unique student-oriented education system, Hong Kong is becoming a choicest destination for overseas education. If you have been gearing up to study in Hong Kong and don’t know where to begin, reach out to our expert counsellors at Leverage Edu and we will guide throughout the admission process of your chosen course, helping you curate impressive SOPs and LORs and ensuring that you smoothly sail your way towards your dream university in Hong Kong.