MBA is one of the most demanded degrees in the industry, it equips a student with all the skills needed to manage corporate-like leadership skills, communication skills, management skills and so on. Getting an MBA from a renowned institution can do wonders for your career, and every time we think of the best business schools, Asia comes to mind. Asia is home to one of the best Business Schools in the world like the HKUST Business School in Hong Kong. This blog tells you everything you need to know about studying in Hong Kong’s HKUST Business School.
This Blog Includes:
Why Hong Kong?
- Hong Kong is currently ranked in the QS rankings for best educational cities, and is home to 4 of the top 10 universities in Asia and 5 of the top 100 globally.
- High-quality education and strong research networks are provided by institutions such as the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST), the University of Hong Kong (HKU), and the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK).
- In all universities, English is the primary medium of instruction and the language is commonly spoken and understood throughout the city-state.
- In Hong Kong, people from all over the world live and work, creating a unique assimilation of cultures. Around three quarters of HK’s land area is dotted with country parks and natural reserves, despite having the reputation of a giant concrete forest.
- It is easy to fly to mainland China for tourism or job interviews. Hong Kong is situated 20 km from Shenzhen (the global electronics manufacturing hub) and is well linked to China’s economic nerve centers, Shanghai and Beijing.
- Hong Kong is a desirable destination for companies and start-ups due to factors such as attractive tax structures, modern infrastructure, and proximity to China and other Asian markets. 70 of the world’s 100 largest banks are present here.
- Hong Kong’s crime rates are among the world’s lowest; petty robberies and minor scams are about as serious as they normally get. Local authorities take discrimination against foreign nationals seriously and are on a downward trend.
About HKUST Business School
The HKUST Business School is the first in the nation to receive both EQUIS and AACSB accreditation. Moreover, in Asia and Australia, the school has also been consistently ranked among the top B-Schools. HKUST has been described by the EIU as a top-ranking Asian school with excellent facilities. The Financial Times Global MBA rankings awarded the school #7 for foreign expertise and #1 for study in Asia.
Must Read: Singapore’s restrictions and a better future for Hong Kong academic freedom
Courses Offered at HKUST Business School
Here are some highlights about the various courses offered in HKUST Business School –
- The school offers personalization disguised as 12 and 16-month programs to fulfil every need and purpose. The students can choose from 70+ electives across 5 career tracks until they find the best match. These include:
- General Management in Asia & China
- The 16-month program is designed for those who plan for a career switch, seeking more international exposure or simply want to expand the career opportunities in China & Asia equipping solid regional knowledge. The program provides great exposure as students get a summer internship and a one-semester overseas exchange opportunity at one of the 60 partner schools (optional).
- On the other hand, they have the accelerated 12-month program offering a well-rounded business education maintaining the quality of the course while minimizing the time and opportunity costs. For students who have already gained professional experience or are studying under the sponsorship of the company, this is the ideal choice.
- In both the programs, lectures comprise only 30% of the course, the remaining portion involves simulations, discussions, case analysis, seminars, class presentations, and individual & group projects.
- The curriculum incorporates 52 credits with 60% of the credits for core courses while the remaining 40% through electives.
Studying at HKUST Business School
- This elite program admits just around 120 students per intake. Furthermore, more than 90% of students are non-local including 30 nationalities. This means that you can expect to meet the best minds, who come from different nations, professional backgrounds, and have different personalities.
- Per cohort, the maximum class size is kept low at 60. This gives each student his or her own space and the whole learning procedure becomes efficient and interactive.
- The average age is 28 years and the average work experience is 5 years and each student has an expertise in one or the other field that he or she has gained by working in organizations under different practical conditions.
- The school greatly encourages student-driven societies and clubs as they believe they are an essential part of their overall development. Here are some clubs that you can look forward to joining once at HKUST Business School:
- Finance Club
- Consulting Club
- Sports Club
- Entrepreneurship Club
- General Management Club
- Technology Club
For those seeking new career opportunities with China-related enterprises or the Mainland, Mandarin will be specifically important. The school facilitates Mandarin proficiency in 2 ways:
- Inter-University Program for Chinese Language Studies
- HKUST Language Centre
HKUST Business School Campus
- Surrounded by green hilltops and sparkling waters rests the scenic HKUST Clear Water Bay campus spanning over 148 acres by the sea. Basic amenities like food outlets, banks, medical stores, and a supermarket are all present on the campus. The city centre is merely 30 minutes away. One can reach there pretty conveniently using public transportation.
- The campus boasts of having several recreational facilities. These also include seaside swimming pools, a 5-story library, fitness centres, a football pitch, an athletic track, and tennis courts.
- Accommodation facilities include breath-taking sea views. Which are available on campus for full-time MBA students and lay just 5 minutes away from the business building. Each apartment incorporates 4 single rooms, a kitchen, and a separate bathroom. Air-conditioning and internet connectivity are available across all the apartments.
- If the students want to bring along someone from their family while they are studying, they need not worry. There are a plethora of family-friendly apartments near the campus providing all the amenities they would require during their stay. Students can even take them to the events at school that are conducted frequently.
Companies offering placement to graduates of HKUST Business School
Being one of the best Business Schools in Asia, HKUST Business School attracts many prestigious and renowned companies such as –
- J.P. Morgan
- Ernst and Young
- Goldman Sachs
- Barclays UK
These are just some of the names of the big players who offer placement opportunities to graduates from HKUST Business School.
If you look forward to studying and consequently, work in one of the fastest growing economies of the world, then HKUST Business School is your safest bet. Connect with our team at Leverage Edu to know more about the school, how to get admission into it, and what should be your instant course of action to be able to make it to