Hong Kong is one of the top destinations to study abroad for Indian students. Studying in Hong Kong comes with personal development as universities prepare you for your future according to the industry. Though, MBA is one popular course that many Indian students opt for to study in Asia’s World City. Another field of study that has gained prominence due to the teaching methodology and advanced technology is Engineering. The fascinating infrastructure in Hong Kong is proof of the quality of education provided by the Engineering Universities in Hong Kong.
This Blog Includes:
- Why Study Engineering in Hong Kong?
- Popular Engineering Courses in Hong Kong
- Top Engineering Universities in Hong Kong
- Eligibility Requirements
- Application Process
- Cost of Studying in Hong Kong
- Scholarships for Indian Students in Hong Kong
Why Study Engineering in Hong Kong?
Other than infrastructure and technology-supported education, there are various reasons why engineering universities in Hong Kong are ranked highly:
- English-based Courses:All public universities and Engineering Universities in Hong Kong teach their courses in English even though English isn’t the primary language of communication in most of the East Asian countries.
- Affordable Education: Yes, that’s correct! Hong Kong is super expensive for international students but when it comes to the Engineering Universities in Hong Kong, the courses are quite affordable.
- Traditionalism and Modernism: Hong Kong survives on a dual culture. You will see the traditional Cantonese culture and Western culture co-exist beautifully offering a premium standard of living.
- Student-Friendly: Hong Kong, one of the most student-friendly cities in the World, offers some of the most diverse engineering courses to international students, making every step in the academic journey a learning experience.
Popular Engineering Courses in Hong Kong
There are several branches of engineering, within which courses are taught at the Engineering Universities in Hong Kong. We have listed down all the popular engineering courses in Hong Kong according to their field:
|Electrical and Electronic Engineering|
|BEng Electronic and Communication Engineering
MS Electronic Engineering
MS Electrical Engineering
MS Electrical and Electronic Engineering
PhD Electronic Engineering
|BSc Mechanical Engineering
MEng Mechanical Engineering
MS Mechanical Engineering
MS Mechanical and Automotive Engineering
|Computer Science and Engineering|
|BEng Computer Engineering
BEng Computer Science
MS Information Technology
LLM Information Technology
|BEng Chemical Engineering|
|BEng Industrial Engineering and Logistics Management
MS Systems Engineering and Engineering Management
MS Industrial Logistics Systems
|BEng Civil Engineering MS Structural Engineering
MS Civil Engineering
|Energy and Power Engineering|
|BEng Sustainable Energy Engineering
BSc Energy Science and Engineering
MEng Energy Engineering
|BEng Aerospace Engineering
BEng Aviation Engineering
|MS Engineering Business Management
MS Engineering Enterprise Management
Top Engineering Universities in Hong Kong
There are more than 22 education institutions/universities in Hong Kong, out of which 5 are ranked in the top 100 universities in the world by QS World University Rankings 2022. These are the top 5 Engineering Universities in Hong Kong ranked highly:
|Qs World University Ranking 2022 (Engineering and Technology)||Universities in Hong Kong|
|20||Hong Kong University of Science and Technology|
|40||University of Hong Kong|
|82||Hong Kong Polytechnic University|
|86||Chinese University of Hong Kong|
|96||City University of Hong Kong|
Fun Fact: All 5 Engineering Universities in Hong Kong are ranked in the Top 100 Global Universities for Engineering by QS!
Hong Kong Polytechnic University
One of the best Engineering Universities in Hong Kong and the world is the Hong Kong Polytechnic University or PolyU as it is famously known. Electrical and electronic engineer, Philip Chan (former Deputy President of Hong Kong PolyU) and mechanical engineer Timothy W. Tong are some of the notable faculty members of the Engineering Department.
Fun Fact: The co-director of Shrek The Third, Raman Hui is an alumnus of PolyU!
City University Hong Kong
City University Hong Kong or CUHK is a leading public research university in Hong Kong. Engineering courses in CUHK are taught by the College of Engineering with 8 engineering departments. It was established due to the rising need for a second polytechnic university apart from the Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
One of the best Engineering Universities in Hong Kong, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology is one of the fastest-growing universities in the world. School of Engineering at HKUST is the largest school at HKUST and provides more than 40 engineering programs at bachelor, master and doctoral levels throughout the 7 engineering departments.
University of Hong Kong
The University of Hong Kong was established during the British era in South Asia. It is currently the most international university in Hong Kong and one of the most prestigious universities in Asia. English is the main language of instruction and therefore it attracts the majority of international students. The University of Hong Kong is rated 19th in civil engineering around the world.
Fun Fact: Dr. Sun Yat-sen, the founder of the Republic of China and ‘Father of the Nation’ in China was an alumnus of HKU!
Chinese University Hong Kong
3 colleges came forward in 1963 and the federation of all three was called the Chinese University of Hong Kong. The Chinese University of Hong Kong is the only tertiary institution in Hong Kong to have produced Nobel Laureates, Turing Award recipients and Fields Medal recipients. CUHK also has the largest campus in Hong Kong offering specialisations in the five main fields of Biomedical Sciences, Chinese Studies, Economics & Finance, Geoinformation & Earth Sciences and Information Sciences.
- Graduated in Class 12th with Science and Maths as the main subjects for UG courses at the Engineering Universities in Hong Kong.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering for PG courses at the Engineering Universities in Hong Kong.
- IELTS– 6.0 or TOEFL– 80 for Proof of English Proficiency
- Letters of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- All academic transcripts
- Updated Resume
The application process to apply to the Engineering Universities in Hong Kong is quite similar to any other university. Here’s the step-by-step guide to make your application process even easier:
- Choose the engineering course you’d like to apply to.
- Look at the Engineering Universities in Hong Kong that teach your preferred engineering course.
- Check the eligibility requirements and whether you qualify for the same.
- Applications for Engineering Universities in Hong Kong are submitted through the university’s online application portal only.
- Attach all the important documents required for you to study abroad and submit the application within the deadline.
- The processing time for the Engineering Universities in Hong Kong to assess your application can be anywhere between 4 to 6 weeks
- Once you are accepted, you will be notified through an offer letter via mail.
- You can start looking for accommodations, apply for scholarships and start a Hong Kong Student Visa application.
You will be asked to pay an application fee by the Engineering Universities in Hong Kong which may be refundable or non-refundable depending upon the university.
Cost of Studying in Hong Kong
When we calculate the cost of studying in Engineering Universities in Hong Kong, we have to consider two aspects- the cost of education and the cost of living. The cost of education or the average annual tuition fee of the Engineering Universities in Hong Kong is given below:
|Engineering courses||Average tuition fee (INR)|
|Bachelor||11-14 lakhs per year|
|Master||12.6-20.1 lakhs per year|
|Doctorate||4.08 lakhs per year|
The cost of living of an Indian student while studying in the Engineering Universities in Hong Kong is given below:
|Type of Expense||Average Cost (INR)|
|Accommodation||48,000-1.43 lakhs per month|
|Food||14,400 per month|
|Transport||4,800 (monthly pass)|
|Utility||20,000 per month|
|Miscellaneous||1.43 lakhs per year|
Scholarships for Indian Students in Hong Kong
Scholarships for Indian Students in Hong Kong can be of 3 types – governmental, non-governmental, and university-specific.
|Scholarships for Indian Students||Grant (INR)|
|Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government Scholarship||58.90 lakhs|
|Endeavour Merit Award||1.42 lakhs|
|Self-Financing Post-Secondary Education Fund||Variable|
|Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme||30.10 lakhs per year + allowance|
|Sir Edward Youde Memorial Fellowship||4.72 lakhs|
|Postgraduate Scholarship||2.50 lakhs per year allowance|
Must Read: Heforshe Impact Champion Scholarship by HKU
Want to study in a city with the most skyscrapers in the world? Hong Kong might be 3638 km away from India but studying in the Engineering Universities in Hong Kong is just one step away from you! All you have to do is call 1800-572-000 and set up your first counseling session with Leverage Edu experts for free!