Every year thousands of students appear in the SSC Stenographer exam conducted by the Staff Selection Commission of India for recruitment of Stenographers Grade C (Group B Non-Gazetted) and Grade D (Group C) in various Ministries/ Departments/ Organisations. This exam is conducted through online mode, thus, candidates must have a basic knowledge of computers to do well in the paper. If you are planning to crack the Steno exam, knowing all about it would be the first thing to do! Want to know all the details of SSC Steno 2023? Thinking about how to prepare for competitive exams? Read on our exclusive blog to find out the success mantra and minute details ranging from important dates to the syllabus!
|Exam Name||Staff Selection Commission Stenographer|
|Conducting Authority||Staff Selection Commission|
|Level of Exam||National Exam|
|Mode of Application||Online|
|Mode of Exam||Written Exam and Skill Test|
This Blog Includes:
- History of SSC Stenographer Exam
- Importance of SSC Stenographer Exam
- Important Dates for SSC Stenographer Exam 2023
- Application Form
- Eligibility Criteria
- Admit Card
- SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern
- SSC Stenographer Exam Syllabus
- Result & Cut Off
- How to Crack SSC Stenographer Exam?
- Best Books for SSC Stenographers
The SSC Stenographer exam is a national-level examination conducted by the Staff Selection Commission (SSC) in India. It aims to recruit candidates for the position of Stenographer in various government departments, ministries, and organizations. The exam assesses candidates’ skills in stenography, typing, general intelligence, and English language proficiency. It consists of two stages: a computer-based test (CBT) and a skill test. The CBT evaluates candidates’ knowledge in areas like General Intelligence and Reasoning, General Awareness, and English Language and Comprehension. The skill test evaluates their stenography and typing abilities. The final selection is based on the performance in these stages.
History of SSC Stenographer Exam
The history of the SSC Stenographer exam dates back to the establishment of the Staff Selection Commission (SSC) in India. The SSC was formed in 1975 to conduct various competitive examinations for recruitment to different government positions. The Stenographer exam was introduced as one of the exams conducted by the SSC to fill the vacancies for the position of Stenographer in government departments. Over the years, the exam has evolved to assess candidates’ stenography, typing, and language skills, along with their general intelligence. It has gained popularity as a prestigious exam and continues to be an important avenue for aspirants seeking government stenographer positions.
Importance of SSC Stenographer Exam
The SSC Stenographer exam holds significant importance for individuals aspiring to work as Stenographers in government departments. Here are a few key reasons highlighting its importance:
- Government Job Opportunity: The exam provides a chance to secure a stable and prestigious government job with an attractive salary, perks, and job security.
- National-level Recognition: Clearing the SSC Stenographer exam showcases a candidate’s competency and skills at a national level, enhancing their professional reputation.
- Diverse Work Profiles: Successful candidates can work in a wide range of government departments, ministries, and organizations, gaining exposure to various domains and experiences.
- Career Progression: The Stenographer position offers avenues for career growth and promotions within the government sector, with opportunities to take on higher-level responsibilities.
- Financial Stability: Government jobs, including Stenographer positions, provide financial stability through regular salary increments, allowances, and retirement benefits.
- Job Satisfaction: Working as a Stenographer allows individuals to contribute to the functioning of government departments and organizations, resulting in a sense of job satisfaction and fulfilment.
Important Dates for SSC Stenographer Exam 2023
The notifications of the SSC Stenographer Exam 2023 have not been released by the Staff Selection Commission. Given below in a tabular form is a list of tentative dates for this competitive exam:
|Notification Release||2 August 2023|
|Application Form||2 August 2023|
|Last Date for Registration||23 August 2023|
|Exam||12 & 13 October 2023|
The application form for SSC stenographers is released online on the official website. All students can fill out the application form by visiting the official website:
- Click on the SSC Stenographer application form notification
- Fill out the application form by adding the required personal and academic details
- Upload the necessary documents
- Finish the application form by clicking on submit option after paying the required application fee
- The application fee is INR 100 and ST/SC/ PWD/ ESM and Women can enrol without any fee
To appear for the SSC Stenographer Exam, students have to fill out the application form online. It is necessary for students to fulfil the eligibility criteria before filling out the application form which is as follows:
- The candidate must have cleared class 12th from a recognised board of examination in India.
- The age limit for students for Stenographers in Grade C is 18-30 years and for Stenographers in Grade D is 18-27 years.
Admit card is released 1-2 weeks before the date of examination. It is mandatory to carry admit card at the exam centre and no students will be allowed to appear for the exam without it.
- Visit the official website
- Click on the admit card notification on the home page
- Enter your application number and password
- Download the admit card displayed on your screen
SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern
The mode of selection of SSC Stenographer consists of the following tests – Online MCQ Test and Skill Test. Given below in the tabular format is the online MCQ Exam pattern, which will help the students to strategise their preparation plan accordingly:
Online MCQ Test
The Online Computer Based Test (CBT) comprises 3 sections – General Intelligence & Reasoning, General Awareness and English Language and Comprehension. Given below is the exam pattern for the same:
|Sections Covered||Marks Allocated|
|General Intelligence & Reasoning||50|
|English Language and Comprehension||50|
- Mode of the Examination: Online
- Test Medium: English and Hindi
- The Exam Duration is 2 hours
- Nature of Questions: Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
- For every correct answer, 1 mark is awarded.
- Negative marks: 0.25 marks for each wrong answer
Students after clearing the Online MCQ Test, students have to appear for the Skill Test. The students are shortlisted based on their performance on the same. Candidates will be given dictation in English/Hindi medium and they need to first write it on paper and later submit the typed version of the same. Applicants need to have a speed of 100 wpm for Grade C and 80 wpm for Grade D.
|Post / ( Medium of Exam)||Time Duration|
|Stenographer Grade D (English)||50|
|Stenographer Grade D (Hindi)||65|
|Stenographer Grade C (English)||40|
|Stenographer Grade C (Hindi)||55|
SSC Stenographer Exam Syllabus
Given below is the syllabus for SSC Stenographer Exam, section-wise:
General Intelligence & Logical Reasoning Section
This section of SSC Stenographer analysis the thinking and logical ability of students through a given set of reasoning questions. The topics from which questions are framed are-Analogies, Problem-Solving, Similarities and Differences, Space Visualization, Decision Making, Judgement, Analytical Reasoning, Verbal and Figure Classification, Visual Memory, Discriminating Observation, Arithmetical Number Series, Non-Verbal Series and Arithmetical Reasoning.
|Seating Arrangement Questions||Number Series Questions|
|Mensuration Formulas||Blood Relation Questions|
|Problems on Age||Permutation Combination|
General Awareness Section
This section of the SSC Stenographer checks the ability of the students to answer the General Awareness related to questions. The topics covered under this section include topics like Sports, History, Economic Situation, General Polity including Indian Constitution, Culture, Geography, Scientific Research etc.
Also Read: General Intelligence and Reasoning
English Language & Comprehension
English for competitive exams can be a scoring section in the SSC Stenographer for those who have a good hold of the language. This section evaluates the English language skills of the students, through questions framed from the topics Vocabulary or Verbal Ability, Grammar, Antonyms and Synonyms, Sentence Structure, and its correct usage, Sentence Correction etc.
Result & Cut Off
SSC Stenographer exam results are declared online. Students can download the result which is available in PDF format. PDF contains the roll number and other details of only students that are qualified. Along with the result, the cut-off marks are also released.
The salary structure is different for Grades C and D. The table below mentions the salary structure after clearing the SSC Stenographer exam:
|,Pay||Grade C in INR||Grade D in INR|
|Pay Band||4,200 or 4,600||2,400|
How to Crack SSC Stenographer Exam?
SSC is one of the toughest exams in India. Students spend months preparing for this exam. With a few simple tips and tricks, you will be able to ace this exam:
- Practice regularly from the previous year’s question paper and sample paper
- For the general awareness section read newspapers and magazines daily
- Learn how to effectively manage time
- Identify your weaker sections and work to improve them
- Create a timetable and properly revise all sections months before the exam
Best Books for SSC Stenographers
There are many books available online and in local markets. Referring to the best books will help you in the preparation and revision period. Here is the list of best books you should be referring to:
- SSC Stenographer (Grade ‘C’ & ‘D’) by Arihant Experts
- Kiran Ssc Chsl (10+2) Stenographer Grade C & D 2010-2019 Solved Papers in English
- Study Package for SSC CGL/ CHSL/ MTS/ Stenographer/ SI/ State Exams by Disha Experts
- SSC Stenographer Grade C & D Exam Goalpost, Solved Papers and Practice Test by DT Editorial Services
- SSC Stenographer Grade ‘C’ & ‘D’ Practice Sets & Solved Papers Book 2021 by Agarwal Exam Cart
The SSC Stenographer exam is conducted by the Staff Selection Commission (SSC) in India. It is a national-level examination held to recruit candidates for the position of Stenographer in various government departments, ministries, and organizations. The exam assesses the candidates’ skills in stenography and typing, along with their general intelligence and English language proficiency.
To be eligible for the SSC Stenographer exam, candidates must fulfil the following criteria:
Educational Qualification: Candidates must have completed their 10+2 (Intermediate) or equivalent examination from a recognized board or university.
Age Limit: The age limit for the SSC Stenographer exam varies based on the category. Generally, the minimum age limit is 18 years, and the maximum age limit is 27 years. However, age relaxations are provided for candidates belonging to reserved categories, such as SC/ST/OBC/PWD.
The selection process for the SSC Stenographer exam consists of two stages:
Computer-Based Test (CBT): The first stage is a computer-based test, which comprises multiple-choice questions. The CBT assesses the candidates’ proficiency in General Intelligence and Reasoning, General Awareness, and English Language and Comprehension. The exam is conducted online, and candidates must qualify for this stage to proceed to the next.
Skill Test: The second stage is a skill test, wherein candidates who have qualified for the CBT are evaluated on their stenography and typing skills. Candidates are given a dictation in English or Hindi, and they must transcribe the same on a computer at the required speed. The final selection is based on the performance in this skill test.
Hope the blog has provided in-depth details on the SSC Stenographer exam pattern, eligibility and syllabus. If you are preparing for any other competitive exam and want advice on ways to crack the exam, visit our experts at Leverage Edu!