Every year thousands of students appear in the SSC Stenographer exam conducted by the Staff Selection Commission of India for recruitment of Stenographer Grade C (Group B Non-Gazetted) and Grade D (Group C) in various Ministries/ Departments/ Organisations. This exam is conducted through online mode, thus, candidates must have a basic knowledge of computers to do well in the paper. If you are planning to crack the Steno exam, knowing all about it would be the first thing to do! Want to know all the details of SSC Steno 2021? Thinking about how to prepare for competitive exams? Read on our exclusive blog to find out success mantra and minute details ranging from important dates to syllabus!
|Exam Name||Staff Selection Commission Stenographer|
|Conducting Authority||Staff Selection Commission|
|Level of Exam||National Exam|
|Mode of Application||Online|
|Mode of Exam||Written Exam and Skill Test|
This Blog Includes:
Important Dates for SSC Stenographer Exam 2021
The notifications of SSC Stenographer Exam 2021 have not been released by the Staff Selection Commission. Given below in a tabular form is a list of tentative dates for this competitive exam:
|Notification Release Date||3rd Week of October 2021|
|Availability of Application Form||3rd Week of October 2021|
|Last Date for Registration||2nd Week of November 2021|
|Last Date for Payment of
|4th Week of November 2021|
Application form of SSC stenographer is released online on the official website. All students can fill the application form by visiting the official website:
- Click on the SSC Stenographer application form notification
- Fill the applicaiton form by add the required personal and academic details
- Upload the necessay documents
- Finish the application form by clicking on submit option after paying the required application fee
- Application fee is INR 100 and ST/SC/ PwD/ ESM and Women can enroll without any fee
To appear for the SSC Stenographer Exam, students have to fill out the application form online. It is necessary for students to fulfil the eligibility criteria before filling the application form which is as follows:
- The candidate must have cleared class 12th from a recognised board of examination in India.
- The age limit for students for Stenographer Grade C is 18-30 years and Stenographer Grade D is 18-27 years.
Admit card is release 1-2 week before the date of examination. It is mandatory to carry admit card at exam center and no students will be allowed to appear for exam without it.
- Visit the official website
- Click on the admit card notification on home page
- Enter your application number and password
- Download the admit card displayed on your screen
SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern
The mode of selection of SSC Stenographer consists of the following tests – Online MCQ Test and Skill Test. Given below in the tabular format is online MCQ Exam pattern, which will help the students to strategise their preparation plan accordingly:
Online MCQ Test
The Online Computer Based Test (CBT) comprises 3 sections – General Intelligence & Reasoning, General Awareness and English Language and Comprehension. Given below is the exam pattern for the same:
|Sections Covered||Marks Allocated|
|General Intelligence & Reasoning||50|
|English Language and Comprehension||50|
- Mode of the Examination: Online
- Test Medium: English and Hindi
- Exam Duration is 2 hours
- Nature of Questions: Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
- For every correct answer, 1 mark is awarded.
- Negative marks: 0.25 marks for each wrong answer
Students after clearing the Online MCQ Test, students have to appear for the Skill Test. The students are shortlisted based on the performance on the same. Candidates will be given dictation in English/Hindi medium and they need to first write it on paper and later submit the typed version of the same. Applicants need to have a speed of 100 wpm for Grade C and 80 wpm for Grade D.
|Post / ( Medium of Exam)||Time Duration|
|Stenographer Grade D (English)||50|
|Stenographer Grade D (Hindi)||65|
|Stenographer Grade C (English)||40|
|Stenographer Grade C (Hindi)||55|
SSC Stenographer Exam Syllabus
Given below is the syllabus for SSC Stenographer Exam, section-wise:
General Intelligence & Logical Reasoning Section
This section of SSC Stenographer analysis the thinking and logical ability of students through a given set of reasoning questions. The topics from which questions are framed are-Analogies, Problem Solving, Similarities and Differences, Space Visualization, Decision Making, Judgement, Analytical Reasoning, Verbal and Figure Classification, Visual Memory, Discriminating Observation, Arithmetical Number Series, Non-Verbal Series and Arithmetical Reasoning.
|Seating Arrangement Questions||Number Series Questions|
|Mensuration Formulas||Blood Relation Questions|
|Problems on Age||Permutation Combination|
General Awareness Section
This section of SSC Stenographer checks the ability of the students to answer the General Awareness related to questions. The topics covered under this section include topics like Sports, History, Economic Situation, General Polity including Indian Constitution, Culture, Geography, and Scientific Research etc.
Also Read: General Intelligence and Reasoning
English Language & Comprehension
English for competitive exams can be a scoring section in the SSC Stenographer for those who have a good hold of the language. This section evaluates the English language skills of the students, through questions framed from the topics Vocabulary or Verbal Ability, Grammar, Antonyms and Synonyms, Sentence Structure, and its correct usage, Sentence Correction etc.
Result & Cut Off
SSC Stenographer exam results are declared online. Students can download the result which is available in PDF format. PDF contains the roll number and other details of only students that are qualified. Along with the result, the cut off marks are also released.
The salary structure is different for Grade C and D. The table below mentions the salary structure after clearing SSC Stenographer exam:
|Pay||Grade C in INR||Grade D in INR|
|Pay Band||4200 or 4600||2400|
How to Crack SSC Stenographer Exam?
SSC is one of the toughest exams in India. Students spend months preparing for this exam. With few simple tips and tricks you will be able to ace this exam:
- Practice regularly from previous year question paper and sample paper
- For general awareness section read newspapers and magazines daily
- Learn how to effectively manage time
- Identify your weaker sections and work to improve them
- Create a time table and properly revise all section in months before exam
Best Books for SSC Stenographer
There are many books available online and in local markets. Refering to best books will help you in preparation and revision period. Here is the list of best books you should be referring to:
- SSC Stenographer (Grade ‘C’ & ‘D’) by Arihant Experts
- Kiran Ssc Chsl (10+2) Stenographer Grade C & D 2010-2019 Solved Papers English
- Study Package for SSC CGL/ CHSL/ MTS/ Stenographer/ SI/ State Exams by Disha Experts
- SSC Stenographer Grade C & D Exam Goalpost, Solved Papers and Practice Test by DT Editorial Services
- SSC Stenographer Grade ‘C’ & ‘D’ Practice Sets & Solved Papers Book 2021 by Agarwal Exam Cart
Hope the blog has provided in-depth details on SSC Stenographer exam pattern, eligibility and syllabus. If you are preparing for any other competitive exam and want advice on ways to crack the exam, visit our experts at Leverage Edu!