There are many positions of Indian officers (gazetted) like IAS, IPS, IFS, IRS, IRAS, IRPS, Officers of Indian Armed Forces, etc. Among these, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) stands as the premier investigating agency of India operating under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions. To be qualified for a position as a CBI officer, a student must know the details and requirements of the position in India. The candidate must also possess certain qualities and qualifications as demanded by the profession. In this blog, we will discuss how to become a CBI Officer in India.
Also Read: How to Become Income Tax Officer?
This Blog Includes:
What Does a CBI Officer do?
A CBI Officer investigates grievous cases and provides leadership and direction in fighting corruption to the Police force across the country. Their major investigation crimes include special crimes, economic crimes, cases of corruption, murder cases, etc. Mentioned below are the duties of a CBI Officer in India. Before planning to become a CBI Officer, candidates must go through the duties of a CBI Officer thoroughly to be well prepared in advance.
- Investigating cases of corruption and bribery
- Investigating cases of infringement of fiscal and economic laws
- Coordinating tasks and working of anti-corruption agencies
- Maintenance of crime statistics
To become a CBI Officer in India, candidates must meet the basic eligibility criteria set by the conducting authority.
- Candidates must have completed schooling and XIIth from a recognized board.
- They must hold a bachelor’s degree from any recognized university.
- Candidates who are appearing for the final year of their graduation can also apply.
- The age limit for General Category is 20-30, 20-33 years for OBC Category, and 20-35 for SC/ST Category.
There are additional physical eligibility criteria that candidates must fulfil. Tabulated below are the physical eligibility criteria for men and women respectively.
|Chest||76 cm with expansion||NA|
|EyeSight||Distant Vision: 6/6 and 6/9
Near Vision : 0.6 and 0.8
|Distant Vision: 6/6 and 6/9
Near Vision : 0.6 and 0.8
How to Become a CBI Officer in India?
In India every other person wishes to hold a position of authority and hence, one can say the process is very competitive. In order to become a CBI Officer, a candidate must start preparing from the initial stages. Mentioned below is how to become a CBI Officer in India:
- For those who wish to join CBI as a Group A officer: They must choose the Civil Service Examination conducted by UPSC and then become an IPS officer.
- For those who wish to join CBI as a Sub-inspector: They must go through the SSC CGL examination. They must clear the SSC Combined Graduate Level Exam. The Combined Graduate Level Examination (CGL ) is conducted by the Staff Selection Commission (SSC) in 4 stages. Once a candidate has completed all 4 stages, they can join as Sub Inspector in CBI.
The exam for becoming a CBI Officer is divided into two phases – prelims and mains.
- Paper 1 – General studies and consists of 200 marks in total. The duration of the exam is 2 hours.
- Paper 2 – Aptitude test where aspirants must score a 33% to qualify for the paper. The total marks of this paper are 200 and the exam duration is 2 hours.
- Candidates who qualify for the first round appear for the mains, General Knowledge and General English papers are common for all candidates.
- For the other part, candidates can pick 2 subjects of their choice.
- Each optional subject will have 2 papers and each paper consists of 8 descriptive-type questions.
Must Read: What is Criminal Psychology?
While preparing to become a CBI Officer, candidates must keep the following tips in mind.
- Candidates must adhere to the timetable.
- They must be consistent in their practice.
- Candidates must solve the last 10 year papers of SSC-CGL.
- They must appear for as many mock tests as possible.
- Aspirants must also keep themselves updated with everyday happenings and to do so they should regularly read newspapers.
Scope and Salary
The salary varies depending upon the division and category of placement in the CBI. While the salary of a Sub Inspector in CBI is approximately 9300-34,800 Indian Rupees per month, the salary CBI Inspector is in Grade Pay of 4200 rupees and the total salary in hand is 44000 Indian Rupees. The CBI has the following divisions.
- Anti-Corruption Division
- Central Forensic Science Laboratory
- Directorate of Prosecution
- Administration Division
- Economic Offences Division
- Special Crimes Division
- Policy & Coordination Division
So, this was all about How to become a CBI Officer in India. Hope you found this blog insightful and informative. Students who aspire to become CBI Officers must be determined in achieving their goal, no matter how hard it seems. If you require any assistance with your career plans, our experienced mentors at Leverage Edu will equip you with the necessary guidance you need to sail towards your chosen career.