Every year, thousands of candidates appear for various competitive exams like IELTS, GRE, TOEFL, RBI Grade-B, CAT, GMAT, TOEFL, NEET, SSC and many more. To winnow the wheat from the chaff, the difficulty level of all exams increases with passing years. As a result of this, only a few candidates make it to the top. It thus becomes important to devise a strategy in line with your strengths and weaknesses to stay ahead. In this blog, we will share some tips and tricks to solve different sections in competitive exams which might put you ahead in the game.
General Awareness for Competitive Exams
The general awareness is one of the most scoring and less time-consuming sections in competitive exams. It constitutes to be an important part of exams like RBI-Grade B, GATE, SSC, etc. Here are a few tips and tricks to crack this section:
The first step to scoring well in competitive exams is to stay updated with events of national and international importance. This can be done by reading newspapers, current affairs based magazines, important reports and basic books like NCERTs. Pay extra attention to exam specific topics. For instance, if you are preparing for the RBI Grade-B exam then go through the Business and Economics sections well.
The advantage of taking down notes on your own words is two-fold. It not only helps in retaining information for a longer duration but also helps you to revise the syllabus easily.
Know Something of Everything
Your carry bag can hold only 10 apples. To avoid going to the market the next day, you buy 10 more apples and stuff them in the bag. The bag breaks and you lose many apples. Similarly, there is a limit to what you can remember. The syllabus of competitive exams is vast. If you start reading everything in-depth, you will not only end up cramming a lot of irrelevant information but will also find it difficult to recall important details. Thus, go through all the topics but make concise notes.
Revise and Give Mock Tests
When it comes to the general awareness section of the competitive exams, Revision is the key to success. Make sure to devote at least 1-2 hours every day. To further strengthen the preparation, give current affairs based mock tests on a regular basis. This will help you in analyzing your weak sections.
Verbal Ability for Competitive Exams
The verbal ability section is made a part of competitive exams to examine your basic English language skills. You can score well in this section by following these tips :
- It is easy to memorize the meaning of an Idiom but difficult to frame a sentence using it. To get a hold over sentence structure and formation, you should read regularly.
- Go through the questions before reading comprehension. This helps you in finding the answer easily. Thus, saves time.
- Take mock tests regularly. It not only gives you a feel of real examination but also helps you in self-assessment.
- Make notes of vocabulary words you come across in mock tests and revise them.
- Last but not least, practise as many varieties of questions as possible.
Preparing Quantitative Section for Competitive Exams
Quantitative ability, one of the most dreaded sections of competitive exams analyses a candidate’s basic mathematical skills. You can follow these steps to score well in this section:
- Practice previous year question papers. This will give you an idea about the exam pattern and will help you prepare accordingly.
- To enhance your speed and accuracy, Clear your basics, jot down all the important formulas, and go through them regularly.
- Have a good grasp over multiplication tables and cube roots to save time in the exam. Try to memorize the square and cube root values of numbers till 30 and remember the multiplication table till 25.
- Practice full-length mock papers.
- Glance through the paper and start with the questions you are most comfortable with.
Also Read: Tips to Master GMAT Quantitative Ability
Reasoning Ability in Competitive Exams
Reasoning Ability is another popular section among competitive exams which challenges students to solve questions from topics like patterns, puzzles, analogy, pictographs, etc. Tips to ace this section are:
- Analyze your weaknesses and pay more attention to such topics.
- Skip the question if it is taking a lot of time.
- Start solving questions from easy topics like directions, and analogy and then move to complex topics like puzzles, coding-decoding, and syllogisms.
Some General Tips
Listed below are a few tips and tricks which comes handy in preparing for competitive exams:
- Go through the syllabus thoroughly.
- Invest more time in weaker sections.
- Follow the timetable strictly.
- Take regular breaks.
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet.
- Use flowcharts, tables, graphs, or other visual techniques to make notes.
Hopefully, these tips and tricks will help you nail competitive exams in the future. If you are still confused about which exam to take in order to apply for universities abroad, contact Leverage Edu experts. The counsellors will help you select the best exam and also in creating a perfect strategy to ace the same.